Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yup! That's the other thing people seem to forget. Fox wasn't some small, independent studio that was forced into being sold. They WANTED someone to buy them. It is what it is.
Yes, but when a studio thats already bought Lucasfilms, Marvel, and now Fox, its not like people are going to be happy about the prospect of business for other companies, hence the "monopoly" label. I mean when you own over 60% of the box office (if not more) and only 10 years ago before purchasing these companies you owned 25%, its going to scare people as the trend for other companies certainly does not look good as competition against Disney becomes even more difficult.

Yes, but when a studio thats already bought Lucasfilms, Marvel, and now Fox, its not like people are going to be happy about the prospect of business for other companies, hence the "monopoly" label. I mean when you own over 60% of the box office (if not more) and only 10 years ago before purchasing these companies you owned 25%, its going to scare people as the trend for other companies certainly does not look good as competition against Disney becomes even more difficult.
and thus Disney dominates the buying and domination of screen time, effectively blocking the other studios out of decent access during those times.

They don't own 60% of the box office. The control to Box Office big time, yes, but according to Box Office Mojo, Disney has 37.1% of the market share right now + Fox's 3.7%. So the own slightly over 40%. Yes, that's still a HUGE chunk, but 60% is literally 33% more than they actually have.

Reactions: HereWeGo
They don't own 60% of the box office. The control to Box Office big time, yes, but according to Box Office Mojo, Disney has 37.1% of the market share right now + Fox's 3.7%. So the own slightly over 40%. Yes, that's still a HUGE chunk, but 60% is literally 33% more than they actually have.
Article I read must’ve been inaccurate. Showed Fox and Lucas alone (obviously not this year) add up to basically that 33% you’re talking about. At least in 2017/2018. Either way, not a good trend for healthy market/competition.

Article I read must’ve been inaccurate. Showed Fox and Lucas alone (obviously not this year) add up to basically that 33% you’re talking about. At least in 2017/2018. Either way, not a good trend for healthy market/competition.
It probably did. Fox is having an extremely poor year this year. With Ad Astra and Ford v. Ferrari coming up though, things might be looking up.

Disney needs Spidey more than Spidey needs Disney. Sony is being very shrewd imo and I like that they have the balls to stand up to Disney the more I think about it.

I still think this is both sides leaking stories. I have a high belief that they will get a deal done still whether it’s by D23 or in a few months from now. Everyone remember the James Gunn situation?

Again, Disney NEEDS Spidey with how they’ve set him up.

One thing to consider, theres not an Avengers movie currently on the released slate. Probably not going to be one till 2022 at the earliest. They don't "need" Spidey till then. So Disney has time to play hardball. They can write it so that he can be added late in the game. While Sony, if they are going to release a Spidey movie in 2022, needs to have scripts moving that will drastically change depending on who is calling the shots. So they are in a spot where a decision needs to be made soon. It does give Disney a little more leverage.

One thing to consider, theres not an Avengers movie currently on the released slate. Probably not going to be one till 2022 at the earliest. They don't "need" Spidey till then. So Disney has time to play hardball. They can write it so that he can be added late in the game. While Sony, if they are going to release a Spidey movie in 2022, needs to have scripts moving that will drastically change depending on who is calling the shots. So they are in a spot where a decision needs to be made soon. It does give Disney a little more leverage.
Even if we are to go by this thought process that Disney doesn’t need him until the next Avengers, if Disney let’s him go, Sony will make Spidey movies with Holland on their own and it will completely ruin the canon.

They need him to protect the entire MCU.

Even if we are to go by this thought process that Disney doesn’t need him until the next Avengers, if Disney let’s him go, Sony will make Spidey movies with Holland on their own and it will completely ruin the canon.

They need him to protect the entire MCU.

Unless we are going multiverse. Then they can just explain the movie away as a parallel universe. Cheap storytelling, but it's nothing that can't be worked around.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
There's been an update to the story.

'Spider-Man' Standoff: Why Sony Thinks It Doesn't Need "Kevin's Playbook" Anymore | Hollywood Reporter

According to this, Disney didn't ask for 50/50, they asked for 30. That's still quite a bit but not nearly as outlandish as 50.

Also, the guy that originally broke the news of all of this has a history of working with Sony... sooooo that seems suspicious. If that's true, then Sony was definitely the studio that "leaked" the info hoping to put pressure on Disney. Except that backfired because most people seem to be upset with Sony.

I still think both studios are being babies and need to just hug and make-up.

Thank you.
It’s certainly a Market Leader and getting closer to a near-monopoly every day lol. The acquisitions of Lucas, Marvel, and Fox is kinda scary tbh. People are exaggerating when they say “monopoly”, obviously, but the sheer volume of media they own/sell/make a crap ton of money off of is disconcerting.

Disney, Apple, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. None are true monopolies, but calling them something close isn’t too much of a stretch imo

Reactions: ChristopherSE
There's been an update to the story.

'Spider-Man' Standoff: Why Sony Thinks It Doesn't Need "Kevin's Playbook" Anymore | Hollywood Reporter

According to this, Disney didn't ask for 50/50, they asked for 30. That's still quite a bit but not nearly as outlandish as 50.

Also, the guy that originally broke the news of all of this has a history of working with Sony... sooooo that seems suspicious. If that's true, then Sony was definitely the studio that "leaked" the info hoping to put pressure on Disney. Except that backfired because most people seem to be upset with Sony.

I still think both studios are being babies and need to just hug and make-up.
Disney was willing to put up 50% of the cost to make the movies. In return they wanted 30% of the profit, the addition to add the remaining SpiderVerse characters to the MCU, full creative control, 100% merchandise (which they already have) and choice of producers (They made it clear the current producers would not be available).

Money was one deal-breaker but adding people like Venon, Green Goblin etc to Disney's control was also a big stop light

If they make more Tom Holland Spidey movies outside the MCU (If they can even get him to do it as Tom Holland has “unfollowed” Sony on Instagram), I will not support it. Spidey belongs in the MCU. I will not go see another Spider-Man movie by Sony until they renegotiate.

Disney, stop being so greedy. Sony, don’t be such a baby. WORK SOMETHING OUT.

Reactions: CTank
Disney was willing to put up 50% of the cost to make the movies. In return they wanted 30% of the profit, the addition to add the remaining SpiderVerse characters to the MCU, full creative control, 100% merchandise (which they already have) and choice of producers (They made it clear the current producers would not be available).

Money was one deal-breaker but adding people like Venon, Green Goblin etc to Disney's control was also a big stop light
I think the bigger thing was: What did Sony gain from that deal? Nothing.

Sure, Disney was gonna pay for 50%. For example though, let’s look at Far From Home and say they split Production and Marketing costs. Sony and Disney each put up $80M production and over $100M in Marketing (Sony spent well over $200M marketing this movie w/a reasonable budget).

Sure it’s a savings in a few areas, but now, Disney is coming to collect 30% of all earnings when previously Disney they were taking in only 5%. So now all of a sudden that’s a BIG loss for Sony.

Unless....

...Disney let’s Sony in on the merchandising profits. For Disney not to offer Sony at least 10-20% of merch for the 30% of film is insulting. The only way I see this deal getting done is if Sony gets a cut of the merch, because otherwise why are they making a deal that really only benefits Disney?