Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

First, Creative has nothing to do with Halloween Horror Nights. The event is created by Entertainment and designed by the team known as Art and Design (A&D).

Second, the Show Director who is predominately in charge of Streets is Blake Braswell. He is the individual who oversees their development and implementation. That said, it's still produced by committee. It's not one person's ideas--it's a group of people coming up with ideas and deciding the best ones.

Now, with regards to where they put zones: They have essentially put zones all over the park at this point, except the London Waterfront. That includes the street between Transformers and Shrek (which use to be known as Shrek Alley). That street help Night Maze, War of the Dead, American Gothic, and others. I think the main reason they don't put zones there is because of guests flow. They want guests to easily navigate through the entire park and all of the zones without back-tracking.

Shrek Alley also lost some of its berth with the introduction of Transformers. I don't think it's realistic to set a zone there anymore.

Im not talking about shrek alley but the other side of transformers,
That area is always empty and kinda dark.
I know it mightbe too close to the area where zombieland is, but ive always wished they had a zonein this area, i know the noise and music would be two much, but i wish we saw something there

Last edited:
Both @Brian G. and I have noticed this even here. We’re developing a plan to address it.

I am happy to hear this. I have noticed an increase in what I would call an underlying toxicity to *some interactions on this forum. It’s not terrible by any means, but I’m happy you are looking at it.

For anyone having second thoughts though about the event based on this .... please go. It is an excellent year. Ive had nothing but positive interactions with fans and staff at the event.

It’s too early to talk about rankings etc as we aren’t even in October.

Don’t let a very small minority of toxic fans disuade you from going.

It seems like they've shifted to a strategy of making the zones stickier for the GP. For example, am I missing something about the porta-johns? I get it, there's a scare inside... but it seems to turn into a congregation of 30-40 people that clogs up what should be a wide open section of NY street.

Maybe my opinion is wrong, but it seems like non-GP like us (that sounds bad, but you know) are more apt to appreciate a zone for its costume design/sets/less overt details. Not that I don't love a good Chuckie show or gogo dancer on a platform, but I'd rather have a zone that isn't clogged up with people clustering around a bunch of mini-shows.

They seem to have dialed back jump scares in zones over the years - I have yet to see a Viking hiding in any of the bushes per the usual in that area. And adding LEDs to the chainsaws in Simpsons gives away some of their best hiding spots.

Honestly, and I hate to say it, a lot of the actors just don't feel into it. Saw three nurses just standing around chatting with one another last night.

Last year was the first year I noticed this - every night you'd come across a good number of scare zone actors/actresses chatting up their working or non-working friends. Even saw a phone or two.

Last edited:
Last year was the first year I noticed this - every night you'd come across a good number of scare zone actors/actresses chatting up their working or non-working friends. Even saw a phone or two.

People (fairly) give Hollywood a lot of flack, but this sort of stuff just blows my mind. Actors in Hollywood aren't allowed to speak outside of defined roles, but the thought of them just hanging out with friends, much less having their phones out... they'd be gone in a single weekend.

I thought the SZs this year finally offered the best of everything: photo ops, stage shows, live entertainment, great soundtracks, immersive set designs, and some scare actors on the ground actually scaring. Considering the crowd levels, this was the best I could have hoped for.

Totally agree with the difference between Hollywood and Orlando’s SZ scare actors. Really wish Orlando would crack down on them breaking character.

That is bonkers to me. We weren’t allowed to have our phones on set with us. Our ASMs would watch them for us if there were any concerns about stuff getting stolen.

Scareactors not scaring is less surprising. Orlando just takes bodies, a good percentage doing the event only for free park admission and not because they want to scare. But still, it’s a job. If their stage managers let that go, both levels should get fired.

[
That is bonkers to me. We weren’t allowed to have our phones on set with us. Our ASMs would watch them for us if there were any concerns about stuff getting stolen.

Scareactors not scaring is less surprising. Orlando just takes bodies, a good percentage doing the event only for free park admission and not because they want to scare. But still, it’s a job. If their stage managers let that go, both levels should get fired.

Sometimes i get confused because sometimes the actors were in groups of 4 or 5 people ( in regular guest clothes) just talking and hanging out.
They might have been other actors or cast members but they were in regular clothing as visitors or something.
Vamp 85 had this, so was chucky, the chance zone had this a couple of times.
I can understand actors chatting with other actors while working the zones, but seeing groups of friends chilling was confusing

I think sometimes the actors are supposed to talk to each other because it's part of their character... for example the news crew in Vamp 85 or the couple in Twisted Traditions.... it makes sense thematically for them to appear to be talking to each other... I usually only go one day a year so I never really noticed this like ya'll... Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I think sometimes the actors are supposed to talk to each other because it's part of their character... for example the news crew in Vamp 85 or the couple in Twisted Traditions.... it makes sense thematically for them to appear to be talking to each other... I usually only go one day a year so I never really noticed this like ya'll... Ignorance is bliss I guess.

even if thats the case, talking in character and talking with friends is much more different.

In my house we constantly had scare actors looking at their phones between scares. Show direction basically gave up on reprimanding them after the first couple of weeks. I also knew of performers that put on headphones under their masks while scaring.

Last edited:
I've never seen it either luckily.

"If I don't see it, it doesn't exist!"

In my house we constantly had scare actors looking at their phones between scares. Show direction basically gave up on reprimanding them after the first couple of weeks. I also knew of performers that put on headphones under their masks while scaring.
I knew it would get to where it would be impossible to keep phones off the performers. And occasionally we would attempt using headphones while scaring (though I would rather just use my ear plugs).

But there you go everyone. If you're not getting scared in houses, it's because performers are on their phones.

I knew it would get to where it would be impossible to keep phones off the performers. And occasionally we would attempt using headphones while scaring (though I would rather just use my ear plugs).

But there you go everyone. If you're not getting scared in houses, it's because performers are on their phones.

Thats pretty crappy, i wouldnt mind actors doing this when the line is low or at the end of the night near closing, but someone waiting 2 hours a house or someone paying express and this happening is kinda sad

People, of all age groups, with their faces in their smartphones is becoming a societal problem in all aspects of life. Example: It just amazes me when a person is walking through one of the beautiful immersive queues like FJ or Gringotts has their face in the phone continuously. Hell, if you love your phone so much just sit at home on the couch with it and save yourself the money. End of rant. :fist::lol:

And occasionally we would attempt using headphones while scaring (though I would rather just use my ear plugs).

Yeah I tried listening to music one set and felt my rhythm thrown off. Hearing the trigger before your’s really helps with timing.

I also really enjoyed the guest interactions, which is the whole point of the event. My best sets were the ones where I was fully present as a performer.

People, of all age groups, with their faces in their smartphones is becoming a societal problem in all aspects of life. Example: It just amazes me when a person is walking through one of the beautiful immersive queues like FJ or Gringotts has their face in the phone continuously. Hell, if you love your phone so much just sit at home on the couch with it and save yourself the money. End of rant. :fist::lol:

I cant hold a conversation with any of my cousins because they never pay attention. They say " yeah im listening" but if you ask to repeat what i said, they cant.
I can fully understand the smart phone is the greatest remedy to boredom and loneliness, it has everything you could ever need for mind stimulation, but when it stops you from talking to people next to you......

Yeah I tried listening to music one set and felt my rhythm thrown off. Hearing the trigger before your’s really helps with timing.

I also really enjoyed the guest interactions, which is the whole point of the event. My best sets were the ones where I was fully present as a performer.

Having headphones with music as an actor in a house sounds extremely risky knowing that guests can attack actors, or that there could be an emergency and you dont hear it

What were your best interactions? What did guests do that you liked?

Easiest way to keep scareactors from being on their phones in the house is to cut out the pockets on costumes. Characters with pocketed clothing were the worst offenders.

What were your best interactions? What did guests do that you liked?

I have a lot of great memories scare acting. I’ll list a few, and I apologize if these are off topic.

I had two booholes: one at the front of the room, and one at the back. One night I popped out of the first spot, got right in a girl’s face and thought, “Do I know her?” Went to my second spot, popped out and it was Ariana Grande with Mac Miller.

Another big one for me was straight up dropping one of the Orlando Magic players. Dude was 6’ 6” and I scared him so bad he fell backwards into his team mates and took them down with him.

One night these girls came through like five times in a row with a Teddy Bear. The third round, I started petting the Teddy Bear. The fourth, I held it like a baby. On the last go around, I snatched it from them and when they walked to my second spot, I made the bear pop out and do a dance before giving it back.