Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just wanted to mention TPU missed a great opportunity for an obvious Headline.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the Rumor
I'm stealing this when I write an article that's just a decade of rumors in order.

I will say, Toon Lagoon comes up in a lot of the early ones. It sounds to me like someone somewhere out there REALLY wants to turn Popeye into a LOTR raft ride... cause that keeps coming back around again and again.

Star Trek changes casts and storylines faster than Dr. Who at this point. Good luck pinning down an aesthetic for a theme park attraction.
There’s enough similarity between the two universes that a convergence isn’t out of the issue. It’s really only a question of which universe do they use—original or Abrams-verse?

They could set a Star Trek land in the far future of the original universe and bring in ALL the classic characters, while still introducing new ones to serve as liaisons.

Theme the land to either Star Fleet Academy or the Federation Headquarters, and go from there.

I'm stealing this when I write an article that's just a decade of rumors in order.

I will say, Toon Lagoon comes up in a lot of the early ones. It sounds to me like someone somewhere out there REALLY wants to turn Popeye into a LOTR raft ride... cause that keeps coming back around again and again.
Not too toot my own horn, but I believe that I was the first to mention that Universal was in negotiations for the IP back in the Summer of 2009. @Brian G. may have those posts archived somewhere. It was back in the OU days.

BTW, everyone said it would never happen. But they said the same thing about Nintendo (I was not privy to info about those negotiations. I was as blindsided as everyone else about Nintendo).

Last edited:
Some people here would have a better opinion on this than I do, but realistically how much room is there in all of Toon Lagoon for a possible LOTR land? Between Dudley’s, Toon Lagoon Theatre, and Popeyes, does that give us enough room for 2 potential E tickets? That’d be really exciting if true. Not sure what % of land all those take up compared to a hypothetical show building or 2

TL is about 10 acres - the amphitheatre

tl acre.JPG

TL + The amphitheatre is about 12 acres

tl acre + theatre.JPG

The amphitheatre is part of TL but the reason I mention it, is that MSHI could also expand into that area but it also has the option to scrap Doom and Storm and expand into that area (Which is also about 2 acres)

TL is about 10 acres - the amphitheatre

View attachment 11409

TL + The amphitheatre is about 12 acres

View attachment 11410

The amphitheatre is part of TL but the reason I mention it, is that MSHI could also expand into that area but it also has the option to scrap Doom and Storm and expand into that area (Which is also about 2 acres)
This is a perfect overview of the entire land, thanks so much for this!
Whether it’s LOTR or another property, Toon Lagoon is an absolute prime location for refurb/redo. I’d argue it’s even better or more suited for an upgrade right now over Lost Continent. Mythology is never really that outdated but the cartoon characters there certainly are for kids these days.

What would you guys think of a Mega E-Ticket walk through attraction themed to The Mines of Moria. It could be a little bit Poseidon's Fury and a little bit HHN House on a RotR scale.

Thoughts?
I mean sign me up. I feel like there should be more walk through attractions in general but I would certainly be down for this.

LOTR land would be set in Hobbiton with a Hobbit festival theme including a Maypole Spinner Ride. There would be two E tickets- One called "There and Back Again- A Hobbit Adventure" And one called "The Fellowship of the Ring". Both innovative dark rides following the adventures of Bilbo or Frodo.

This is a perfect overview of the entire land, thanks so much for this!
Whether it’s LOTR or another property, Toon Lagoon is an absolute prime location for refurb/redo. I’d argue it’s even better or more suited for an upgrade right now over Lost Continent. Mythology is never really that outdated but the cartoon characters there certainly are for kids these days.
Mythology may not be as dated but the attractions aren’t as good as Toon Lagoon. It would be wiser for those to stick around longer. The Lost Continent as it is now will not be missed as anything other than a really well themed pathway to get to Hogsmeade from Seuss.

Mythology may not be as dated but the attractions aren’t as good as Toon Lagoon. It would be wiser for those to stick around longer. The Lost Continent as it is now will not be missed as anything other than a really well themed pathway to get to Hogsmeade from Seuss.
Ya but ultimately if they’re replacing anything it’s likely something, that Universal at least, sees is better and more profitable for them. If they have more land in Toon Lagoon then that’s where they’d likely go, assuming that’s the land they need. I’m not sure of the amount of lane for Lost Continent however. But, I think Toon Lagoon has more space just from simply walking around. Both are large though