Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

Didn’t Universal patent a ride system recently that was basically a movie theater that would come apart and become a set of traveling ride vehicles?

Didn’t Universal patent a ride system recently that was basically a movie theater that would come apart and become a set of traveling ride vehicles?
Among other uses. The patent was mainly for the way the different elements connected and disconnected. It could just as easily be used to remove a roof or fuselage around the ride vehicle, like from a dinosaur ripping it off, or for splitting a ride vehicle into smaller sections too. Both examples are given in the patent.

Among other uses. The patent was mainly for the way the different elements connected and disconnected. It could just as easily be used to remove a roof or fuselage around the ride vehicle, like from a dinosaur ripping it off, or for splitting a ride vehicle into smaller sections too. Both examples are given in the patent.
Very cool. Excited to see if they decide to apply it to any future projects.

Ride vehicles splitting sounds like something that is trackless. Could the splitting also be applied to a SCOOP tracked vehicle?

Too bad Kong has ruined us getting any trackless rides for a long time if at all. But if they were to try again with trackless tech, Couldn't they poach the people who built MMRR and Rise Rosch? Rosch trackless systems seem to have less problems than Kong's did a launch. That or either Disney does not let tech issues sour them on trying again with trackless tech.
ROTR not a good example. They had to tear up the ride to fix the trackless problems even before opening, which delayed the opening of the ride by more than six months....and helped kill the opening months attendance at both US resorts. And ROTR still has significant downtimes due to trackless and a number of other issues.

ROTR not a good example. They had to tear up the ride to fix the trackless problems even before opening, which delayed the opening of the ride by more than six months....and helped kill the opening months attendance at both US resorts. And ROTR still has significant downtimes due to trackless and a number of other issues.
IS MMRR more reliable? And how do you design a trackless ride so it avoids the type of issues the cause downtimes on something like ROTR? Maybe make it less ambitious than Rise?

What really added complexity to ROTR is the fact that the trackless system needs to interact with other dynamic, moving elements, like the elevators and the canons (which I gather have been, essentially, rendered motionless at this point).
That would explain why MMRR does not have the same amount of tech issues ROTR has. After Zootopia in SDL, it will be interesting to see if Disney still builds a decent number of trackless rides or if they will start to rely more on the TDS Peter Pan SCOOP like EMV more.

Ratatouille/Runaway/Rise all average 60+ minutes of downtime roughly every day. I think the parks will take a break from trackless tech for a while.
I think Disney might be moving away from trackless tech as well. The Peter Pan TDS ride will be using a tracked EMV that sounds like it will be akin to Transformers or Spiderman and the Multiverse E ticket at DCA (assuming it was not sent back to the drawing board under Iger) will be using the same ride system as Peter Pan. While I will still think trackless rides are ideal for family attractions like MMRR as they often have not height requirement and are more ideal for those prone to motion sickness, the SCOOP or that SCOOP like EMV Disney is trying now are far better for more dynamic attractions. The Pan EMV even has defined sight lines in a way so it can seamlessly transition between practical sets and domed projection screens where the vehicles will give off the the illusion of flying. Most trackless ride vehicles like Rat, MMRR, Rise, and Symbolica can't pull off feats like that.

Wicked.

How everyone keeps forgetting Universal owns that show…
It's not that people forget (at least for me), it's that I have realistic expectations and know that with the show still thriving on Broadway, why bring the show to the parks if people are still willing to pay good money to see it?

IS MMRR more reliable? And how do you design a trackless ride so it avoids the type of issues the cause downtimes on something like ROTR? Maybe make it less ambitious than Rise?
In my experience, MMRR is pretty reliable compared to other trackless rides, especially Rise. But there's also far less going on in MMRR than in Rise.

It's not that people forget (at least for me), it's that I have realistic expectations and know that with the show still thriving on Broadway, why bring the show to the parks if people are still willing to pay good money to see it?

Considering it has now been nearly 10 years since the original musical debuted; and the live action adaptation finally getting released of it's first half next year--I can argue that going forward Wicked wouldn't necessarily bleed into either the touring or Broadway productions. Especially if it's condensed.