The Old KidZone Thread | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain the details about how Universal has the rights to Scooby, but not the gang? Also, I've seen Shaggy in the park, so do they have the rights to Shaggy? Just trying to understand it a little better. thanks :smiley:

So can we all just agree to disagree for now when it comes to this whole "My Little Pony + Universal Studios" discussion? Yes? Okay? Good. :lol:

Can someone explain the details about how Universal has the rights to Scooby, but not the gang? Also, I've seen Shaggy in the park, so do they have the rights to Shaggy? Just trying to understand it a little better. thanks :smiley:

I would like to hear more about that myself, as I'm pretty skeptical of those claims. I've seen Scooby merchandise in the past that has had the whole gang on it.

On a sidenote, although it's not likely to happen, I would love it if they just brought back all of the Hanna-Barbera characters again, like the Flintstones and Yogi Bear. Universal needs some more classic cartoon presence.

I would like to hear more about that myself, as I'm pretty skeptical of those claims. I've seen Scooby merchandise in the past that has had the whole gang on it.

The way I understand it, is they only have the rights (only paid for, or only were allowed) to portray Scooby as an official walk-around character. Shaggy, it's been mentioned, is referred to as "Scooby's friend" and not actually "Shaggy."

Merch is a whole other universe. They have merch for things that aren't even part of the Universal parks at all, so I wouldn't really call that an indicator.

Most of this info I've rehashed from what's been posted before, but I can't find the original posts. I thought it would be on the Universal Streetmosphere thread, but apparently not. It's definitely somewhere here in the OU forums.

sfft-scoobydoo003.jpg

I think this ride at Six Flags Fiesta Texas should have been what axed the possibility of getting a ride.

Some clarification: there are no rights issues with the Scooby Doo walk around characters. Shaggy is presented and named to guests as normal, as are Fred, Daphne, and Velma on the extremely rare ocassions they're used.

I don't understand the problem with licensing Scooby Doo here. If Uni wanted to build a SD ride they would simply need to license the IP, just like they did for The Simpsons, Harry Potter, Transformers, Dr. Seuss, Marvel, etc, etc. Do we have new information about the contracts with Six Flags? Basically it comes down to being possible but a question of the price tag, if they can justify the price they can make the ride.

There is a new movie coming out, but not just that... with Scooby Doo there will always be something new coming out. Every few years there is a new movie or a new TV series that lasts a few years. It goes in cycles, and SD is a brand that would never be completely out.

Merch is a whole other universe. They have merch for things that aren't even part of the Universal parks at all, so I wouldn't really call that an indicator.

This is true, the licensing for merch is by the manufacturer when it is made. Just because Uni bought a product at wholesale and is selling said product does not mean they have a license to do anything else with the IP.

Some clarification: there are no rights issues with the Scooby Doo walk around characters. Shaggy is presented and named to guests as normal, as are Fred, Daphne, and Velma on the extremely rare ocassions they're used.

I have a picture of the rest of the gang at the BlackBerry World Party on May 14th of this year. So they have the characters.

8740694614_51dbe42224_b.jpg

I have a picture of the rest of the gang at the BlackBerry World Party on May 14th of this year. So they have the characters.

8740694614_51dbe42224_b.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the guy dressed as Fred looks like Nathan Fillion in a blond wig.

- - - Updated - - -

...except there's not really any animated movie series big enough right now that Universal can acquire. Anything Dreamworks is out according to what insiders have said.

Outside of Dreamworks, the only big thing that comes to mind is Ice Age, but that series is already dying. (The latest one performed below expectations domestically.)

And consider me one of the people against the idea of Super Silly Fun Land. Despicable Me, while not a terrible franchise, doesn't need more than one ride dedicated to it. The park should be diverse in its properties.

I agree that KidZone shouldn't be all-TV shows. But aside from keeping Animal Actors and E.T., I don't think there's many other options at the moment.

The last Ice Age movie was the highest grossing animated movie of last year.

Well Universal Hollywood is having a Shellabration for SpongeBob... probably a hint of what's to come :p not to mention the "Laughter is Universal" billboard

But Scooby-Doo is definitely a timeless IP with universal appeal

Well Universal Hollywood is having a Shellabration for SpongeBob...

I heard about that too recently. Dangit, as someone's that's partial to the little yellow square guy, I'm so bummed that we're not getting something like that over here too. Universal needs to throw more fan celebrations for things other than Potter.

I heard about that too recently. Dangit, as someone's that's partial to the little yellow square guy, I'm so bummed that we're not getting something like that over here too. Universal needs to throw more fan celebrations for things other than Potter.

I would love a SpongeBob ride on par with Tokyo's Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

It's the same reason why there isn't D23 Expos in Orlando and the same reason Orlando never became "Hollywood East". It's a lot harder to convince the stars to fly out to Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.