Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2019 Hurricane Thread

Unbelievable that this was forecast to be, at worst, a low wind Tropical Storm just under 48 hours ago.

I know that's what everyone is saying down here. And this whole thing is giving me Irma vibes. With Irma the models showed the storm ripping through South Florida and instead it went for the keys. The only modal that showed the correct path was the European modal.

Although we're keeping an eye on this purely from an HHN vacation point of view, just want to say I hope everyone is safe however or wherever this hits.

I've worked in the Caribbean in the direct aftermath of a major hurricane and I'm sure others on here have experienced it too, I sincerely hope it dissipates a bit beforehand.

Last edited:
This is worst case scenario right now. If you are traveling this weekend start making alternate plans.

Sadly, it might get even worse. Some models show Cat 5, and some show it stalling over Florida just like Harvey did over Texas. This is a disaster in the making.

There's still time for the path to change, but if not.... good luck y'all. God help us.

storm_05_ens.gif

Will be cancelling our flights and hotel today. Just hoping the park doesn't sustain too much damage. (and the people of course). Maybe we can rebook for the end of the month. :shrug:

Will be cancelling our flights and hotel today. Just hoping the park doesn't sustain too much damage. (and the people of course). Maybe we can rebook for the end of the month. :shrug:

Look into rebooking as there won't be any fees. The parks will be fine.

I live in the southeast area where it’s most likely to make landfall. I have an Airbnb for Sunday to Monday in Orlando, but should I cancel or extend my stay? It says it’ll most likely be downgraded to a Cat 1 by the time it reaches the middle of the state.

As of right now I'm still planning to go on Wednesday, but I have until Sunday to cancel my hotel and move it back an extra day possibly.

We stayed at Disney for Irma because we were without power for like a week. It was perfectly pleasant there

I did not come up with the following, but it's quite amusing:
"Hurricane update from Florida; We are now certain that there is a hurricane, it is somewhere between cat. 1 and cat. 5. We are sure it may or may not bring rain to all or some areas totaling .01 inches to 10 feet. We also know it will be impacting none or all of Florida, coming ashore on the east, northeast, center, west, northwest or Alabama side of the state sometime on Saturday, Sunday or Monday but still not ruling out Tuesday. We have also downloaded an app to our phones allowing us to use them as walkie-talkies that may or may not work. In short, we are prepared for all of the above and we will be just fine."

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has a brief moment of Cat 5 intensity...Hopefully it at least goes through an eye wall replacement before it hits land

It's crazy to think we were talking about a tropical storm a few days ago

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has a brief moment of Cat 5 intensity...Hopefully it at least goes through an eye wall replacement before it hits land

It's crazy to think we were talking about a tropical storm a few days ago

Eyewall replacement usually ends with a stronger storm and an expanded windfield. Best to just have shear come outta nowhere and break it apart.

I have a Portofino room booked for Monday of next week through Saturday. When is the latest I can move my check-in date back a day or two? I'm waiting to try to get the most accurate and up-to date forecast without having to lose money on the original booking.

I have a Portofino room booked for Monday of next week through Saturday. When is the latest I can move my check-in date back a day or two? I'm waiting to try to get the most accurate and up-to date forecast without having to lose money on the original booking.

Best bet is to call the resort. There are probably special arrangements in place for weather.