Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Antarctica - Empire of the Penguin

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wow. This is going to be SO impressive. AND COLD! If they really do go trackless, I'm honestly shocked that it's a Busch park and not Disney or Universal who brought this technology stateside first. Bravo.
Indeed..Sea World (Parks and Entertainment I mean) is getting very competitive I think in the theme park world Cheetah Hunt is beautiful, Verbolten is just cool and this looks quite awesome..
I love the fact that you can choose the intensity as well..I wonder if the Penguins will be included in the attraction or the ride line like Manta?

Technically it's trackless. Define true trackless ride system. Are we talking programmed vehicles that just know a path to go (and from the article) depending on the intensity level selected by the guest? It sounds like a technical nightmare waiting to happen.

From the Pooh's Hunny Hunt Wikipedia:

This 'trackless' ride system is achieved not by GPS, as widely rumored, but by a custom LPS (local positioning system). The patented system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to each individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles. Every few seconds, the master computer generates a random path and ‘steers’ the honey pot in real-time, so as the cars roll through the ride the vehicles are, in fact, being told where to go. Because this system is in real-time, they can maneuver accordingly in just fractions of a second. This also allows for spontaneous yet synchronized ‘honey pot choreography’ with groups of honey pots (as many as 8 in a single show scene) appearing to ‘dance’ with the others, often timed with ‘beats’ in the music. Due to limitless variations possible, each journey through the attraction is unique.

Now, this is a Disney ride system, so i doubt it'll be the exact same thing, but I'd imagine it's basically the same.

I have no clew about the guiding technology, yet I've seen other official ride vehicle mock ups of this ride. It's trackless. The vehicle itself has wheels.
From the artist impression released yesterday, you can already see that the guest are sitting in a top-bucket, this bucket is on top of a disk. Looking at all the images I would say that the "bucket' can spin on top of the Disk. (If that makes any sense in words)

Last edited:
I think the thing that most of us are missing is that SeaWorld said it will be different every time! So I wonder about this adventure, and how it will change, and if they simply mean it will be different by how the penguins interact or if it will be different on how you vehicle and story interact?

I think the thing that most of us are missing is that SeaWorld said it will be different every time! So I wonder about this adventure, and how it will change, and if they simply mean it will be different by how the penguins interact or if it will be different on how you vehicle and story interact?

SeaWorld in a way is trying the "different every time" thing with Turtle Trek. You will see when it opens that while the Turtle is the main character of the story, you will also be able to watch other sea life go through there paces during the films journey on other parts of the dome. For instance on one side of the dome you can watch the Turtle while at the exact same moment on the other side of the dome you can watch a manta interact with predators and its surroundings. Turtle Trek and its digital system are going to influence how they do certain things in the Antartica attraction.

It has to do with the trackless technology, IMO.

All parks way over-hype their new attractions stating things that end up being such a stretch. Mark Woodbury on FJ stating, "you won't be able to tell whether you're indoors or outdoors". :look: I would expect most of what Seaworld is hyping now is what they could only hope the attraction will be.

Update from today,

April282012226.jpg

April282012260.jpg

April282012262.jpg

April282012267.jpg

April282012278.jpg

April282012280.jpg

April282012282.jpg

April282012283.jpg

April282012285.jpg

April282012287.jpg

April282012288.jpg

April282012289.jpg

April282012290.jpg

April282012292.jpg

April282012309.jpg

April282012313.jpg

April282012314.jpg

April282012316.jpg

April282012318.jpg

April282012321.jpg

April282012323.jpg

April282012328.jpg

April282012330.jpg

April282012332.jpg

April282012334.jpg

Reactions: Fun and BJCool
NIce overview, Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Very much looking forward to my visits and to return the favor.

Here’s some video snapshots from the construction site that I shot earlier this week. The firstrRebar and concrete is going into the foundation of a new part of the Penguin Encounter building.

[video=youtube_share;JyZF5YqXmO4]http://youtu.be/JyZF5YqXmO4[/video]

Construction is moving swiftly. First let me share with you some images I shot about 12 days ago

Old Penguin Encounter building getting an extended foundation
AA1-1920.jpg

aa4-1920.jpg

aa2-1920.jpg

aa3-1920.jpg

aa9-1920.jpg

Souvenirs shop sitting Idle for now
aa5-1920.jpg

aa7-1920.jpg

Restaurant is being gutted
aa6-1920.jpg

Now on top of this foundation late last week a crane joined a complete new steel construction (not my Video)
[video=youtube_share;_0qVbsIzXKQ]http://youtu.be/_0qVbsIzXKQ[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/user/Milkdidmybodygood?feature=watch