Best Shooting Attraction: TSM, Buzz, MiB | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Best Shooting Attraction: TSM, Buzz, MiB

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which "shooting" attraction is your favorite?

• Toy Story Midway Mania

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Men In Black: Alien Attack

Votes: 121 80.1%
  • Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
I'll have to counter some of your arguments, but I do agree with most of them, although for me specifically it's not my favorite (though it's definitely up there).

Oh, and this was beautifully organized. :rep:

I have never really liked most shooter rides, for the fact that I simply cannot aim the tiny little red dot of a laser at anything! I'm constantly missing, wondering whether I hit the alien, or what (I've gotten much better though, I've picked up a few tips)...
However, MIB always made up for the fact that I couldn't aim by providing me with an extremely fun experience in a huge immersive environment. I always get so lost in the city scenes simply because they look like city streets!
I wouldn't call it my favorite, but it's definitely up there... So I'd definitely call MIB my favorite shooter...

I have to agree with everyone else here. MIB is the better shooting attraction. TSMM is fun, Buzz has gotten less fun as I ride it more and more. MIB just makes you feel more immersed in the story and the MIB universe.

MIB by domination! A near perfect ride for Universal. Fun, well-themed, interactive, technological, family-friendly, I could go on.

Buzz is OK. Younger kids really seem to enjoy this more because they control the car's spinning.

TSM was disappointing. I've only been on once due to the ridiculous wait times, and that's good enough for me. The queue is OK, but not as breath-taking as I was initially lead to believe. I read so many positive reviews prior to riding, and felt like this ride was going to blow me away. Well, it didn't. As someone stated earlier, maybe TSM would be better off at DisneyQuest.

MiB wins for me, because I feel like a get a little thrill with my bang-bang. Plus, who didn't think that the Universe and You opening program/elevator was hella cool the first time they went on it?

Frontierland Shooting Arcade, for sure! :p

Of the three, I like them all really. I guess the best in my opinion is TSM because of how you get swung around and the queue is awesome.

So I just listened to an episode of the Season Pass Podcast with the creative team behind Men in Black: Alien Attack. Some interesting things I learned.

-Before IOA, the plot of land was going to be used for a copy of Jurassic Park from USH.
-The necessity came from wanting to have something to take crowds away from IOA once it opened.
-The ride was built in 28 months. That's from design day one to opening day.
-The cars are exactly the same as the Cat in the Hat cars. They were copied and adjusted to save time.
-The guns for MIB and Buzz are exactly the same on the inside. They were provided by Heads Up Technologies.
-The guns are never actually referred to as guns, but zappers. This is because of the sensitivity to Columbine at the time.
-The Universe and You song was written and added at the last minute. It was written at the Orlando Ale House.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantaguy
So I just listened to an episode of the Season Pass Podcast with the creative team behind Men in Black: Alien Attack. Some interesting things I learned.

-Before IOA, the plot of land was going to be used for a copy of Jurassic Park from USH.
-The necessity came from wanting to have something to take crowds away from IOA once it opened.
-The ride was built in 28 months. That's from design day one to opening day.
-The cars are exactly the same as the Cat in the Hat cars. They were copied and adjusted to save time.
-The guns for MIB and Buzz are exactly the same on the inside. They were provided by Heads Up Technologies.
-The guns are never actually referred to as guns, but zappers. This is because of the sensitivity to Columbine at the time.
-The Universe and You song was written and added at the last minute. It was written at the Orlando Ale House.
Wow, that's all really cool info, especially the 28 months fact! I can't believe it took them that short a time to make such a great ride!

Certainly helped that all the tech was there...

You're absolutely right. But to be fair, it wasn't as easy as just putting the Buzz guns into the Cat in the Hat cars. The cars had to be redesigned, but stay within the approximate weight of the Cat cars. Otherwise, they would have to go through the same R&D process and wouldn't save times. The guns also had to be modified so they were free from the car. The music in the ride is also all original. Danny's music doesn't come cheap, and they forgot to put money for it into the budget. That's why an outside arranger was brought in. So a lot was there, but there still was a lot of work to be done. That being said, I think every project should be done quickly like this. Time nor money can afford to be wasted in a project like this. And often times, designers do there best work under pressure. They don't have time to over-think it and screw it up.

Well obviously not every not every project should be done like this, or we would never get anything new. But I agree that even though the ride system was reused, it's pretty impressive that an attraction like this got made in two years.

Toy Story Mania without question. Went on it for the first time last year and the whole family loved it. Now a family favourite. MIB is good and Buzz is pretty good but compared to the other two, doesn't really come close. TSM seems more competitive and I just think more fun can be had on TSM.