Console Gaming (General) | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Console Gaming (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But also Zelda/Pikmin 4 aren't 4K and are complete games. So It's also how these studios are using funds
That's an example of the studio giving devs enough time to develop. It's a huge philosophy for their team, Zelda was actually delayed multiple times just to make sure it was as close to perfect as possible.

There's the apocryphal quote "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," and regardless of whether or not Miyamoto said it, they definitely are working under that assumption.

The problem is, once again, Capital desiring ever faster and larger returns with less investment. Look at Rockstar and GTA for a great example of the direction the industry is heading with a few exception.

apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but is that actually what's happening? it appears to be devs saying that this new game can't be the expected standard going forward. I assume, and again, could be wrong, that's because they're being given adequate resources to develop a game that is a complete product.

and I would certainly push back on the idea that devs at big studios don't have passion or are making some kind of deal with the devil. they're putting up with, it seems, pretty brutal working conditions and a list of demands from their bosses that they don't love ... and then they log on to social media and get battered by consumers. I can't imagine they're doing all that for the payday.
I mean they could also scale games back and give games what they want in a smaller format and still make money.

While they have a list of things to do, its how they tackle them and seeing games Die like OW2, which lost its main hook because in Dev interviews the leadership (not CEO but Dev Leaders) decided they didn't want to focus on the story mode and do whatever the hell they were doing with that huge team for the past few years and then randomly in a stream announce the story mode is dead.

I feel for them but the attitude that this can't be the standard sucks, Dragon Age 4 if somehow can't live up to Balders Gate 4 then do they expect sales to be as high?

That's an example of the studio giving devs enough time to develop. It's a huge philosophy for their team, Zelda was actually delayed multiple times just to make sure it was as close to perfect as possible.

There's the apocryphal quote "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," and regardless of whether or not Miyamoto said it, they definitely are working under that assumption.

The problem is, once again, Capital desiring ever faster and larger returns with less investment. Look at Rockstar and GTA for a great example of the direction the industry is heading with a few exception.
The Red Dead Port on PS5 is a joke......the switch I at least understand (still would not pay 50 bucks for it)

Nintendo is an example of what more Dev's should go for....unless we are talking online. For some reason Nintendo still struggles with online 20 years after the OG Xbox

I mean they could also scale games back and give games what they want in a smaller format and still make money.
yes, the companies producing the games could do that.
I feel for them but the attitude that this can't be the standard sucks, Dragon Age 4 if somehow can't live up to Balders Gate 4 then do they expect sales to be as high?
yes, the company producing the game does expect sales to be high.

just as a general rule, I have much more sympathy for the people making the widget than I do for the people buying the widget. and I just about never have sympathy for the company financing the widget.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nico
yes, the companies producing the games could do that.

yes, the company producing the game does expect sales to be high.

just as a general rule, I have much more sympathy for the people making the widget than I do for the people buying the widget. and I just about never have sympathy for the company financing the widget.
So fan just have to have a game made by EA like Dragon Ages and if it has more glitches, isn't as strong a story and the combat not as fun....we just have to buy the game?

That's my point is Dev's might be stuck but then don't expect major sales if your product isn't as good as another.

It's hilarious that Dev's are worried about a game coming out that is large, not bugged filled, runs well and is a quality product.
Guess the Industry really is just mainly people who are in it for money and most aren't making games because they love them and want to make the best games they can

Crabs in a bucket mentality. The Crabs at the top that can easily get out are pulled back in by the legs by those under them.

Really sad seeing this behavior from devs, same thing happened to Elden Ring.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
What’s more, even if players want to use their own PS5 to stream games via PS Plus Premium then stream that to the Portal, this won’t be allowed.
fox tv GIF by Bob's Burgers

• Haha
Reactions: MrRoamer and Mike S
Sad but....the team really just didn't go themselves much favors.

Saints Row is a fun series and it felt like 5 years from Get out of Hell little fun game to the new Saints Row....and while I have not played it, it seems like most people think it was a very meh game and not something fans wanted.

Reactions: Mike S
Sad but....the team really just didn't go themselves much favors.

Saints Row is a fun series and it felt like 5 years from Get out of Hell little fun game to the new Saints Row....and while I have not played it, it seems like most people think it was a very meh game and not something fans wanted.
They purposely went out of their way to make a game they knew the actual fan base didn’t want. The only people I feel bad for are those at the studio that didn’t have any control or say in the games direction and were just there to work.

To the people that DID have that control I have one thing to say: you f’ed around and found out, you got what you deserved, and I don’t feel sorry for you lol

They purposely went out of their way to make a game they knew the actual fan base didn’t want. The only people I feel bad for are those at the studio that didn’t have any control or say in the games direction and were just there to work.

To the people that DID have that control I have one thing to say: you f’ed around and found out. I don’t feel sorry for you lol
I agree

Saints Row is a weird series.....some love the OG games (not me) while I like the 3 wacky games they made after that..one where its GTA but more about fun then games before it, then your a super hero and then in hell.

The "new" game is free on PS Plus but...I wont ever get it to. I have BG3, Spiderman, Mario RPG and Mario Wonder plus older games like the Dead Space remake, Harry Potter game, Gotham Knights, Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars FO2 just to name a few, lol

Games coming out need to be either amazing or part of series I care about....or else I dont even buy them even if they are on deep sales because time is limited as a normal adult, lol

Reactions: Mike S
I agree

Saints Row is a weird series.....some love the OG games (not me) while I like the 3 wacky games they made after that..one where its GTA but more about fun then games before it, then your a super hero and then in hell.

The "new" game is free on PS Plus but...I wont ever get it to. I have BG3, Spiderman, Mario RPG and Mario Wonder plus older games like the Dead Space remake, Harry Potter game, Gotham Knights, Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars FO2 just to name a few, lol

Games coming out need to be either amazing or part of series I care about....or else I dont even buy them even if they are on deep sales because time is limited as a normal adult, lol
All I have is Tears of the Kingdom to complete but for some reason I never get around to it even though I do have time lol

Thought this bit deserved to be in a more general discussion. Super Mario Bros. Wonder had no development deadline.

My guess is that they took the criticism of NSMB 2 & U to heart. It really shows.

God

Do I wish Nintendo ran Pokemom.....if Nintendo made Pokemon game it would be insane
I just want remasters of Colosseum and XD from the GameCube.

Also Nintendo making it wouldn’t change much. You’d have to get everyone on board with slowing things down like the anime, merch, and trading cards.

I just want remasters of Colosseum and XD from the GameCube.

Also Nintendo making it wouldn’t change much. You’d have to get everyone on board with slowing things down like the anime, merch, and trading cards.
Game wise you'd see a BIG difference

The anime and other stuff, I agree would not change much but the main games would get WAYYYYY more time

Game wise you'd see a BIG difference

The anime and other stuff, I agree would not change much but the main games would get WAYYYYY more time
You’re misunderstanding.

The reason the games are rushed is so that they come out in time with everything else. It’s all planned out when new generations are introduced across EVERYTHING Pokémon. For the games to get more time, everything else has to slow down as well. This wasn’t much of an issue when developing for hardware from the GameBoy to the DS but starting with the 3DS and now incredibly obvious with the Switch they can’t keep up with that type of schedule.

Last edited:
You’re misunderstanding.

The reason the games are rushed is so that they come out in time with everything else. It’s all planned out when new generations are introduced across EVERYTHING Pokémon. For the games to get more time, everything else has to slow down as well.
If Nintendo has control they would not allow the games to come out in these states. They just would not

They have a ton of games to remake (heck the last Red/Blue was not a real remake). So they can do plenty of projects to keep it alive and also give them more time or resources to make the main games amazing

If Nintendo has control they would not allow the games to come out in these states. They just would not

They have a ton of games to remake (heck the last Red/Blue was not a real remake). So they can do plenty of projects to keep it alive and also give them more time or resources to make the main games amazing
The reason Nintendo doesn’t have sole control is because of just how much Pokémon product and licensing there is. It needs its own company (the Pokémon Company). Nintendo already has semi control over the games but you can see how far that gets them. The Pokémon Compamy needs to slow down everything else for the games to have more time in development.

Honestly each console generation should get one generation of Pokémon from now on imo. Release the main two versions near the start, release the typical past gen remake, a spinoff like Arceus, and then near the end instead of a second new gen on the same console go back to releasing an enhanced third version a la Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc. Then in the background of all of this you have a gradually growing team working on the next generation for the next console.

Amazingly this is how the main Mario series works even though it seems like he’s everywhere constantly with only a few outlying consoles. The NES may have gotten SMB 1-3, but the SNES only had World and a remake collection. The N64 only got Mario 64. GameCube got Sunshine. The GBA never got an original title and instead had the Advance series of remakes. The DS started the trend of one 2D game and one 3D game with 64 DS (a remake) and NSMB. Wii continued this with Galaxy and NSMB Wii but as an extra we also got Galaxy 2 which Nintendo admitted was basically just a bunch of ideas they didn’t have time to put in the first one. The 3DS and Wii U went back to the old trend with 3D Land and NSMB 2, and NSMB U and 3D World, respectively. They both also got Maker but I don’t really count that as “main series.” Finally the Switch got Odyssey in its first year and is getting Wonder near the alleged end of its life with ports of the Wii U games, Maker 2, and the limited 3D All-Stars in between. The other most popular Mario series, Kart, has only ever had one entry per console with the Switch seemingly being the first console to not get its own original title but instead a super souped up version of 8 especially with the DLC. This is how Pokémon should be treated going forward.

With some time to chew on the FTC Xbox leak a bit, is anyone else thinking that Xbox taking over from Sega as the third big console manufacturer was basically a fluke? They have the backing of Microsoft and then got lucky to have Halo and Gears of War. They don’t really create anything anymore as shown by Phil Spencer saying his “career defining move” would be to buy Nintendo as per the leak. More than ever now it seems like Nintendo and PlayStation are the only console makers that could actually be considered to be true gaming companies.