D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What D23 Parks Announcement are you most excited about?

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Details + Model

• Ratataouille Addition to France Pavilion

• Guardians of the Galaxy ride (replacing Universe of Energy)

• Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (replacing The Great Movie Ride)

• Tron Shanghai Clone addition to Tomorrowland

• Disney Skyliner

• Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest + Paint The Night return

• Marvel Land at DCA

• Star Wars Hotel

• New Theatre on Main Street

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just read some detailed descriptions of the WRECK-IT RALPH 2 footage, and I've gotta say... it sounds horrendously ill-conceived. Like a nightmarish parody of synergy. It sounds like it's basically going to be DISNEY IPs: THE MOTION PICTURE.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I think everybody needs to realize that Disney Toon Studios is only meant to make low budget animated movies for toddlers. These aren't released under Pixar.
They made A Goofy Movie back in the day. They can and have done better than low budget toddler films.

They want to open Mickey when the open Star Wars because they think it will help more with the impending insane crowds at DHS than the existing ride would.
So it'll be the Transformers to Star Wars Land's Diagon Alley? That could work. I'm interested to see how this turns out, the first ever ride themed to Mickey himself should be interesting.

Just read some detailed descriptions of the WRECK-IT RALPH 2 footage, and I've gotta say... it sounds horrendously ill-conceived. Like a nightmarish parody of synergy. It sounds like it's basically going to be DISNEY IPs: THE MOTION PICTURE.

tumblr_nl4cg0yoS41tllkl6o2_500.gif

sounds pretty entertaining to me

Joke 1:
"Well, I guess the good thing is WDW already has a BUNCH of WIR 2 rides."

Joke 2:
"Looks like they're gonna save a fortune on that Star Tours retheme."

Reactions: Mike S and belloq87
The first one featured a lot of video game characters like Bowser, Robotnick, Qbert, etc. and it worked to have those IPs in the story. This could work too.

The first one featured a lot of video game characters like Bowser, Robotnick, Qbert, etc. and it worked to have those IPs in the story. This could work too.

That's fair up to a point, but those were outside characters brought into the fold. This feels particularly, shamelessly self-indulgent, like a snake eating its own tail. If they can figure out how to make the movie feel like anything other than an elaborate advertisement for all of Disney's intellectual properties, then fine. And in fairness, maybe that's a just a small, contained chunk of the movie that they brought to D23 because they knew the crowd would eat it up.

And just to get this on the record, WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is one of my favorite movies, so I don't have a problem with lots of characters "crossing over" and interacting if it's in the service of the story and isn't just there for transparent advertising and synergy value.

That's fair up to a point, but those were outside characters brought into the fold. This feels particularly, shamelessly self-indulgent, like a snake eating its own tail. If they can figure out how to make the movie feel like anything other than an elaborate advertisement for all of Disney's intellectual properties, then fine. And in fairness, maybe that's a just a small, contained chunk of the movie that they brought to D23 because they knew the crowd would eat it up.

And just to get this on the record, WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT is one of my favorite movies, so I don't have a problem with lots of characters "crossing over" and interacting if it's in the service of the story and isn't just there for transparent advertising and synergy value.

I was excited to hear about the princesses... sort of cool to see them all together with the original voices.

They want to open Mickey when the open Star Wars because they think it will help more with the impending insane crowds at DHS than the existing ride would.
Mickey will undoubtedly be more popular than GMR, the question is if it will put more people through per hour (and I don't mean theoretical capacity, I mean ACTUAL guests).

As a throwaway sequence, totally. It's a cool idea. I think a whole movie packed with gags like that would get old really fast, and would turn into a "Hey, remember this? Disney owns it all!" fest.
I definitely agree. If it's just a short, comic relief sequence it'll be great, if they constantly show up throughout the movie it'll get old fast.

Reactions: Mike S
Meh.

I've just hit that mental wall where I don't think Disney will do things to the scope or scale that rumors have suggested. Perhaps even it'll just be the rumors im not fond of and none of the projects I'd like to see come to fruition.

So... bring on tomorrow.

Reactions: WAJAS
Looking at how things went today, I don't think @Nick C. is going to be making the Live Action Panel since once again Disney showed they're shockingly clueless with Crowd Control/general Counting at this convention.

Plain and simple, they screwed up CC for the Animation Panel, leaving 2,000 people quite angry that they couldn't get in. (Especially for a good chunk who were doing what they were told by Staff to get in, and they still didn't get in.) To make up for that, Disney gave those 2,000 people reserved seating for either the live action panel, or the parks and resorts panel. From the sounds of it most picked the live action panel.

Looking at how things went today, I don't think @Nick C. is going to be making the Live Action Panel since once again Disney showed they're shockingly clueless with Crowd Control/general Counting at this convention.

Plain and simple, they screwed up CC for the Animation Panel, leaving 2,000 people quite angry that they couldn't get in. (Especially for a good chunk who were doing what they were told by Staff to get in, and they still didn't get in.) To make up for that, Disney gave those 2,000 people reserved seating for either the live action panel, or the parks and resorts panel. From the sounds of it most picked the live action panel.
I saw this and was not happy at all. But I guess I'll enjoy the Expo floor for a bit and then get in line for the Parks panel.

Reactions: Alicia
Apparently there's 1000 people already lined up for the live action panel.

Also, this happened.

Yeah, I just got Jack in the Box and drove by and it looks nuts... I doubt they all make it in, tbh and if so it won't take much longer before it fills up completely.