D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What D23 Parks Announcement are you most excited about?

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Details + Model

• Ratataouille Addition to France Pavilion

• Guardians of the Galaxy ride (replacing Universe of Energy)

• Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (replacing The Great Movie Ride)

• Tron Shanghai Clone addition to Tomorrowland

• Disney Skyliner

• Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest + Paint The Night return

• Marvel Land at DCA

• Star Wars Hotel

• New Theatre on Main Street

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wait, Rat is rumored for 2019?

If I was to guess, with the DCL thing brought up.

• Star Wars Land (DHS & DL, confirmation on the role play aspects with names for the land and attractions unveiled.)
  • Toy Story Land information for DHS and Shanghai, open at similar time for 2018.
  • Marvel Land information for Disney's California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland, with Ant-Man announced for Disney's California Adventure
  • Reminder of the complete ownership of Disneyland Paris, with an announcement of Mission Breakout for 2018 for WDSP
  • Reminder of the Oriental TDS projects, with Soarin brought up a bit more as it seems to be the one that will most likely open before NFLTokyo.
  • Announcements of Guardians, Gondolas, Ratatouille, Deep Dive, and Great Mickey Ride for WDW
  • Full announcement of one of the new DCL ships, with slight mention of DVC and more Club 33 locations coming worldwide (and not singling out one resort in particular).
It's mainly a guess, but if they do want to make a splash; I can see them doing this and that is my guess of what they are doing for tomorrow.

Is anybody doing a live blog of the panel?

Inside The Magic, WDWNT, Attraction's Magazine, and MiceChat will most likely be at the keynote.

Last edited:
There's some website with a name involving a Panda or something who I recall from a past Epcot event obsessively live blogging. It was just funny at the time because it involved multiple laptops, and furious typing every few words of the speeches.

Reactions: rioriz
I'll be updating information sent out for the Animation keynote as it progresses

• Disney Toon Studios being redone, first new animated film from them is untitled, called as of now "Space" as it will release in 2019
  • The Frozen Short in-front of Coco was teased
  • The Sequel to Frozen will be titled "Frozen 2", Showed research for the film done from multiple countries
  • Wreck It Ralph 2's first trailer being shown to the convention audience
  • Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck It Ralph 2 will use the influences of the internet for the new film
  • The Plot of WiR2 has Sugar Rush breaking, so Ralph and Vanellope go into the internet to find parts to fix the game
  • Taraji P Henson will play Yesss in the sequel
- Exclusive scene was unveiled, revealing that Ohmydisney(dot)com will be in the film, with multiple Disney AND Pixar characters having full on cameos and even including the likes of Stan Lee.

- Almost every Disney Princess Voice Actress will return to reprise their characters in the scene.
  • They are now moving onto Incredibles 2
  • Brad Bird and John are on stage.
  • Dash will be done by a new voice actor
  • Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, and Samuel L. Jackson come on stage
  • A clip for the film is being shown off
- Holly Hunter's Elastigirl will take full stage while Mr. Incredible takes care of Jack Jack
- Jack Jack is omnipotent
  • Toy Story 4 now being shown off
  • Lasseter will step back from the film, as Josh Cooley will direct it by himself
  • Pixar Intern Jonas Rivera will produce the sequel
  • A new paper doll character called "Lulu" was shown off
  • Toy Story 4 will be out in 2019
  • Pixar is announcing a new original film
  • Dan Scanlon will direct it, as it's set in a suburban fantasy world
  • "suburban fantasy world" is the working title
  • It's mentioned to be more modern in a world where magic previously existed, but that it was hard to do in the first place
  • More to be revealed at D23 2019.
  • They are now moving on to Coco
  • Lee Unkrich takes the stage
  • New clip was shown off
  • Coco will be filled with a lot of music
  • Michael Giacchino will score the film
  • Another clip was shown off for the film, revealing more of the land of the dead

Last edited:
This D23 is Star Wars. 2019's will be all about WDW's 50th.

I have to believe that most of the current permits and rumors are for the 50th or later.

Seriously, the 50th starts in 3.5 years. It takes Disney 2.5 years to build anything. Even if they announced it now, they wouldn't be open until the 50th. Given that they usually wait 6-8 months after announcement to break ground.

And remember that Epcot has it rumored revamp happening heading into it's 40th Anniversary. So I predict only one of Epcot's projects gets announced at D23 2019 for the 50th. The rest held back until D23 2021 for Epcot's 40th blow-out announcement.
My guess is Gaurdians since UoE is supposed to close this year.

My guess is Gaurdians since UoE is supposed to close this year.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought GotG is the one Epcot project that could jump the queue in announcements just based on the IPs popularity.

But that leaves Rat and Brazil for the 50th and Epcot's 40th, based on the known rumors. We can even throw in Coco but that's still ALL World Showcase.

Reactions: Mike S
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought GotG is the one Epcot project that could jump the queue in announcements just based on the IPs popularity.

But that leaves Rat and Brazil for the 50th and Epcot's 40th, based on the known rumors. We can even throw in Coco but that's still ALL World Showcase.

If Coco is announced, a part of me wonders if they could even try to tie it in to the animation panel, similar to what was done in 2015 with Star Wars.

Whether Coco is a successful movie or not, the movie's theme makes much more sense as a ride in Mexico than a Three Cabs ride... two of the three are from South America :lol:

Plus, Dia de los Muertos is a huge part of Mexico's culture.

Most hyped for Wreck It Ralph 2, then Incredibles 2, still not hyped for Coco. It literally has to be better than Book of Life for me to like it and based on the trailers, it doesn't seem like it will be.

Reactions: Andysol
I think everybody needs to realize that Disney Toon Studios is only meant to make low budget animated movies for toddlers. These aren't released under Pixar.

It's a questionable approach to continue the "Cars Universe" when the latest movie is tracking to be another financial flop for Pixar despite warm reviews. Merchandise may save it, but it's likely going to be a tax write-off at the end.