D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2017 - News & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What D23 Parks Announcement are you most excited about?

• Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Details + Model

• Ratataouille Addition to France Pavilion

• Guardians of the Galaxy ride (replacing Universe of Energy)

• Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (replacing The Great Movie Ride)

• Tron Shanghai Clone addition to Tomorrowland

• Disney Skyliner

• Pixar Pier/Pixar Fest + Paint The Night return

• Marvel Land at DCA

• Star Wars Hotel

• New Theatre on Main Street

Results are only viewable after voting.
:doh:

So Dragon Challenge and Nintendo will be open before all this stuff? Did not see that coming
They already have TSL for 2018. And SWL for 2019. So having some of the stuff for the 50th coming online late 2020/early 2021 seems reasonable. I believe the 50th Celebration will be all of 2021.

The rumor for the 50th is for each park to get something biggish. Tron combo/Tomorrowland redo for the MK. Rat for Epcot. Mickey's Shorts ride for DHS. And rumors of Zootopia for DAK.

GotG is really a crap shoot. There is no logical place in the timeline so they really could just drop that project in anytime. If something is officially announced this weekend for Epcot it most likely would be GotG. But then that would leave WS getting 2 things for the 40th.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
They already have TSL for 2018. And SWL for 2019. So having some of the stuff for the 50th coming online late 2020/early 2021 seems reasonable. I believe the 50th Celebration will be all of 2021.

The rumor for the 50th is for each park to get something biggish. Tron combo/Tomorrowland redo for the MK. Rat for Epcot. Mickey's Shorts ride for DHS. And rumors of Zootopia for DAK.

GotG is really a crap shoot. There is no logical place in the timeline so they really could just drop that project in anytime. If something is officially announced this weekend for Epcot it most likely would be GotG. But then that would leave WS getting 2 things for the 40th.

I dunno. I'm really starting to get the feeling GOTG was a smokescreen and UOE is actually TRON. We'll see.

As far as Epcot goes, I believe that Rat is for the 50th (2021). And GotG and the new WS country for Epcot's 40th (2022).

So none need to be announced at this year's D23. 2019's D23 would suffice.
So Guardians will open two years after the third movie? Great timing! I'm sure the series will continue to be extremely popular and relevant after the third movie, as what happens with all superhero film series...

So Guardians will open two years after the third movie? Great timing! I'm sure the series will continue to be extremely popular and relevant after the third movie, as what happens with all superhero film series...
Because relevancy matters when it comes to theme parks as we've learned from Pandora's reception and on the opposite side, F&F Supercharged's reception (at USH)...

And yes, I do think it will stay relevant, especially since they will be a big part of the new MCU that will start after Avengers 4.

Although there is 2 D23's left before the 50th, I do think they will make a Star Wars & Pandora approach with an early announcement this year, and a more detailed reveal the following D23.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Although there is 2 D23's left before the 50th, I do think they will make a Star Wars & Pandora approach with an early announcement this year, and a more detailed reveal the following D23.

Possible. But I also don't think they want anyone putting off trips to Star Wars land until Rat, Guardians, and TRON are done. Especially after how tepid crowds have been for Avatar

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think it really depends if the WDW 50th attractions will be pitched as a resort revamp, similar to the DCA re-do. If so, I would expect a big splashy reveal (maybe now?) and then a bunch of concept art reveals, a preview center and the like over time.

If these are all going to be pitched as separate unrelated things, then those announcement will be slowly rolled out over time.

So yea, I think people need to realize there's one, and technically two, D23's before the 50th. I would not be surprised if a lot less is announced than what people are expecting.

The focus is gonna be on Star Wars, as it should be.
This D23 is Star Wars. 2019's will be all about WDW's 50th.

I have to believe that most of the current permits and rumors are for the 50th or later.

Seriously, the 50th starts in 3.5 years. It takes Disney 2.5 years to build anything. Even if they announced it now, they wouldn't be open until the 50th. Given that they usually wait 6-8 months after announcement to break ground.

And remember that Epcot has it rumored revamp happening heading into it's 40th Anniversary. So I predict only one of Epcot's projects gets announced at D23 2019 for the 50th. The rest held back until D23 2021 for Epcot's 40th blow-out announcement.

Last edited:
This D23 is Star Wars. 2019's will be all about WDW's 50th.

I have to believe that most of the current permits and rumors are for the 50th or later.

Seriously, the 50th starts in 3.5 years. It takes Disney 2.5 years to build anything. Even if they announced it now, they wouldn't be open until the 50th. Given that they usually wait 6-8 months after announcement to break ground.

And remember that Epcot has it rumored revamp happening heading into it's 40th Anniversary. So I predict only one of Epcot's projects gets announced at D23 2019 for the 50th. The rest held back until D23 2021 for Epcot's 40th blow-out announcement.

If this D23 is literally a couple announcements, I feel DisTwitter will feel completely dejected - not realizing the bigger picture.