Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

I'm fairly critical of the latest round of Disney projects, but fair play to them, this one seems like a good idea and I like how they've put the effort in so that each station is different.

OK, they have them lower on the water so in case of evacuation they can reach them with a boat and some kind of ladder. Sounds like a nightmare, but at least they're thinking ahead.

It’s that same kind of thinking that has all the land below the path completely cleared.

im sure these will be safe, but given the wind gusts Florida can get, makes me super nervous about being in one of these during a thunder storm.

im sure these will be safe, but given the wind gusts Florida can get, makes me super nervous about being in one of these during a thunder storm.
Here is Bobby's take on the proposal to build one in Clearwater to go to the beach. Seems to be not much of a concern. Like the outdoor rides it will stop if lightning is in the area and it can run in very high winds of the type you will find in the mountains so not much concern there. It is the fall into the alligator infested swamp that is going to get you not getting fried by a bolt from the blue.

Here is Bobby's take on the proposal to build one in Clearwater to go to the beach. Seems to be not much of a concern. Like the outdoor rides it will stop if lightning is in the area and it can run in very high winds of the type you will find in the mountains so not much concern there. It is the fall into the alligator infested swamp that is going to get you not getting fried by a bolt from the blue.
Make a Peter Pan, Capt. Hook and the Alligator scene over the swamp/water area. . ;)

Knowing it’s safe will probably make it the most thrilling ride in Disney. Although I love turbulence on a plane so that could just be me.

I think the "grand opening" will be in the fall. I expect guests to be riding in late spring early summer.
This. I don’t expect the entire system to open together at once. I think the Pop/AoA line will open last, which will likely be late summer/fall

This. I don’t expect the entire system to open together at once. I think the Pop/AoA line will open last, which will likely be late summer/fall
Its been confirmed all will open at once (Especially since PoP/AoA would only go to the Caribbean Beach and back, which would make no sense). All 3 lines term at CBR and connect there.

Its amusing reading this set of posts since it echoes what's already been discussed over in that other place. According to some people, those on board will ... melt, die by electuction, fall to their deaths and be eaten by alligators. etc etc. :)

Its been confirmed all will open at once (Especially since PoP/AoA would only go to the Caribbean Beach and back, which would make no sense). All 3 lines term at CBR and connect there.

Its amusing reading this set of posts since it echoes what's already been discussed over in that other place. According to some people, those on board will ... melt, die by electuction, fall to their deaths and be eaten by alligators. etc etc. :)
I KNOW they could open this much sooner if they wanted, but they probably want to wait until it’s NEEDED. Also, I bet they want Riviera open for when this debuts, too.

And completely agree with your second paragraph. People love to mock Magic, but with the way this thread has gone you’d think you were on it.

Doppelmayr showed off their new Gondola model at IAAPA, which will be used for the first time when the Disney Skyliner opens. Keep in mind that Disney almost certainly had their Gondolas modified a bit, beyond just aesthetics (for instance, we know that the windows on the Skyliner will have heavy UV Protective glass).

org_dsc01687.jpg

org_dsc01683.jpg

org_dsc01686.jpg

org_dsc01684.jpg

PHOTOS: Disney Skyliner Manufacturer Shows Off Gondola Model at IAAPA - Blog Mickey