Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

Why are you posting this and like this is something we didn’t know about a year ago? I think we’be had this conversation one or two times. I’m willing to bet at the end of the day this will be a non-issue.

Disney confirmed for the first time it doesn't have air conditioning, something that many were still saying was coming.

Probably one of those aircraft service trucks where the whole top is a platform that raises up and lowers down. Modify that to fit the cars and it is foolproof.

Like this
Redirect Notice
Yes, Reedy Creek Emergency Services has a platform truck they use for Monorail evacuations. I would guess they can use it for the gondolas as well. I'd assume they set them to a similar height to the Monorail beam so they can use the same truck.

When it comes down to it, like the Monorail an evacuation like that would be EXTREMELY rare with most of the evacuations being performed by just emptying vehicles into the nearest station as quickly as possible.

Yes, Reedy Creek Emergency Services has a platform truck they use for Monorail evacuations. I would guess they can use it for the gondolas as well. I'd assume they set them to a similar height to the Monorail beam so they can use the same truck.

When it comes down to it, like the Monorail an evacuation like that would be EXTREMELY rare with most of the evacuations being performed by just emptying vehicles into the nearest station as quickly as possible.

That's actually pretty clever.

That's actually pretty clever.

Unless you are in a gondola over one of the lakes. However, in the event that you have to use the restroom, well, you are over the water....

I just don't think that the gondolas are a major risk for an evacuation, or, at the least, it would be an extremely rare occasion. The systems appear to be fairly simple and utilize technology that has been in place for a long time. Heck, I've been skiing a lot and never had a lift break down. The Cedar Point skyride doesn't seem to break down much, if at all, and it is a lot older.

Will they be warm in the summer? Yes but it is Florida and you are going to be standing in queues outside anyway. However, I doubt that it will be that hot inside. I realize that we discuss things before they are built in order to pass the time until the rides open. However, I think that people tend to overreact and get all out of sorts about things that haven't happened.

I get more worried that I'm going to be stranded on a ride than on a gondola. I was on The Beast this summer and the coaster neared the top of the second lift. The first two cars crested the hill and the lift stopped. I was stuck there for around 20 minutes until finally the ride restarted.

What line is this on?

I don’t understand why this is expected to open so far out.
That is first that was strung, studios to CBR?. I don't know the name. I think DIS will have this operational by late spring and have a grand opening when they finish the Rivera expansion.
Bet they have guests riding by summer.

Last edited:
What line is this on?

I don’t understand why this is expected to open so far out.
Honestly I think it could open wayyyyyy sooner than they're projecting it for if they wanted. However, I think they want to wait until Riviera is open to open the Skyliner and since SWGE won't be open yet, there really won't be a NEED for this to be open until late next year. Or at least that's probably how the suits see it.

Honestly I think it could open wayyyyyy sooner than they're projecting it for if they wanted. However, I think they want to wait until Riviera is open to open the Skyliner and since SWGE won't be open yet, there really won't be a NEED for this to be open until late next year. Or at least that's probably how the suits see it.

The other way I see it is the opening day is for the whole project to be complete and they open each line individually. This way they get guests moving and it allows for ample time for training before the official opening.

The other way I see it is the opening day is for the whole project to be complete and they open each line individually. This way they get guests moving and it allows for ample time for training before the official opening.
I've thought of it that way as well.

The whole thing has to open at the same time otherwise the DHS guests would be disembarking at the mid station then they walk to Epcot? It will all open at once. It is close to being completely strung with rope. This week or next so no reason to open parts without the rest being complete.

The whole thing has to open at the same time otherwise the DHS guests would be disembarking at the mid station then they walk to Epcot? It will all open at once. It is close to being completely strung with rope. This week or next so no reason to open parts without the rest being complete.
Could they open it by just using the Riviera station as a turn station for a bit until the hotel opened if they wanted? I presume they could, but I do think that's what is holding this up. They want this to open alongside their newest DVC (given the timeline they've given for both, it's plausible).

If they’re going to Epcot, they get the bus as normal. This line will be for just people staying at Caribbean Beach.

Could they open it by just using the Riviera station as a turn station for a bit until the hotel opened if they wanted? I presume they could, but I do think that's what is holding this up. They want this to open alongside their newest DVC (given the timeline they've given for both, it's plausible).
They could but why have the hazard of a moving line while they finish the rest? There is no pressure to have this open before fall so plenty of time to do it all before open. I also hear they have production issues with the cabins so they don't have cars to hang on the line. Boatloads of grips but nothing to attach them to.

Things that keep me up at night: Why do they at one time use plywood and at other times densglass... I don’t get it.

Densglass usually seems to be higher up, could be something to do with hurricane protection?

I've been wondering if Star Wars will be engineered the same with hurricane protection and earthquake protection or if each coasts gets their own priorities.