Donkey Kong Country rumored for USH? | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Donkey Kong Country rumored for USH?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think the earliest you can expect an announcement (if they green light it) for Hollywood's version of DK is when the Japan version opens.

If you look at the recent history of announcements, they seemed to announce an expansion/addition to SNW at the opening/groundbreaking ceremony of an SNW.

Hollywood and Orlando were confirmed during the groundbreaking ceremony of Japans SNW. Hollywood SNW was formally announced during the opening ceremony of Japans SNW. And Orlando's SNW was just formally announced during Hollywood's opening ceremony.

When DK opens in Japan, Hollywood drift should be finishing up construction here in Hollywood, and that would allow construction crews to move over to the DK construction site.

I think the earliest you can expect an announcement (if they green light it) for Hollywood's version of DK is when the Japan version opens.

If you look at the recent history of announcements, they seemed to announce an expansion/addition to SNW at the opening/groundbreaking ceremony of an SNW.

Hollywood and Orlando were confirmed during the groundbreaking ceremony of Japans SNW. Hollywood SNW was formally announced during the opening ceremony of Japans SNW. And Orlando's SNW was just formally announced during Hollywood's opening ceremony.

When DK opens in Japan, Hollywood drift should be finishing up construction here in Hollywood, and that would allow construction crews to move over to the DK construction site.
Wow actually a very good point. That makes a ton of sense. They could confirm DK for both Hollywood and Orlando at the same time there. Hope you’re right!

Wow actually a very good point. That makes a ton of sense. They could confirm DK for both Hollywood and Orlando at the same time there. Hope you’re right!
If they break ground on DK after FF wraps construction, I would put the opening date of USH's DK late 2026 early 2027.

So we have talked about this before but are they planning to add more sound stages?
If not then I really don’t understand the logic in not going full ahead with DK land now considering how long it will take to make

your making 50 bucks off popcorn buckets, I don’t understand what could be more important then making the land bigger to sell more items like that

So we have talked about this before but are they planning to add more sound stages?
If not then I really don’t understand the logic in not going full ahead with DK land now considering how long it will take to make

your making 50 bucks off popcorn buckets, I don’t understand what could be more important then making the land bigger to sell more items like that
Jesus Christ dude

So how do I have to talk on these forums?

im on topic and literally asking are they building more studio else where? If not then build now or soon vs 2 years

I see no illogical to this type of thought.
So please tell me how you guys want me to communicate because it’s exhausting, if I can’t even ask why and how

Patience. They need time and funds to build DK. Once they sell about 150 popcorn buckets, then they’ll have enough money to build it.

So how do I have to talk on these forums?

im on topic and literally asking are they building more studio else where? If not then build now or soon vs 2 years

I see no illogical to this type of thought.
So please tell me how you guys want me to communicate because it’s exhausting, if I can’t even ask why and how

Perhaps read back through the last several pages of this thread, particularly page 9.

Reactions: salismetho

To answer your sound stages question (Please lets not go down the why they haven't done this or that yet route again):
  • 14 new sound stages have already been constructed
  • They have room to build 8 more new stages at the Red Sea site
  • They have demolished 6 for lower lot expansion so far and an additional 6 to 8 were identified for removal on the Evolution plan
Thats just the numbers though, there will be a million reasons why things happen or don't happen at certain times.

I do wonder if we will see a new Evolution plan soon (hope so) as there were rumors of another one coming but then Covid happened.

I know you won't listen but I'll share some factors to consider anyways:
  • The biggest is obviously cost. UPR is beholden to Comcast shareholders. Right now, Universal's biggest single investment in the industry is being constructed in Orlando on top of Donkey Kong being constructed in Japan, a new coaster in Hollywood, and the KidZone redo. CapEx is expected to only go up this year due to Epic Universe construction. A new land is far more expensive than a new roller coaster. For reference, Super Nintendo World cost almost 550 million dollars to build in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me if it was more expensive to build here. They have a lot of money, but it's not infinite
  • I think it's also important to remember that Mario is the biggest IP of Nintendo, and that to many Donkey Kong is an extension of Mario. I would be surprised if a Donkey Kong expansion brought in nearly the same crowds as the first Mario land to open in the United States. I mean, look at Diagon Alley opening vs. Hogsmeade opening, or hell even look at Hogsmeade Orlando opening vs. Hogsmeade Hollywood opening.
I just wanted to chime in with how at least they're also printing money with Power Up Bands too, but of course they need the time to recuperate whatever funds went into the land (and sprucing it up).

Although, I think I could use another quick explanation on the WWoHP opening comparisons. I don't think I'm familiar with the differences there too. ^^''
Honestly the next major Nintendo thing I have to think is happening before DKC, is Nintendo Los Angeles. I really think this makes a lot of sense and it allows to bring a constant crowd of those who want Nintendo merchandise, and not just from the Super Mario franchise. It'd also allow them to incentivize on promotional opportunities with Nintendo of America, such as Directs; game touring and tournaments. It makes sense to me in a lot of ways; and it could clear up that SNW store to be used for other things too.
Not to go too off topic, but honestly, I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened sooner with how much Nintendo has come by for CityWalk events over the years ever since they made the deal, which if I can recall:
  • Promoting Super Mario Odyssey as part of that tour thing. (2017)
  • Filming something Mario Kart related. (2018)
  • Promoting Kirby and The Forgotten Land (2022)
  • Promoting their 2022 games with the Nintendo Switch Road Trip (and a photo op of the land promo, also 2022)
There's probably more I'm missing, but with Fossils and Zen Zone closed, never thought I'd be half hoping for a store in CityWalk to close if those Nintendo LA/Hollywood plans are still on the table...which kinda makes me want to visit said Tilly's store to get a feeling for its floor plan if/when it changes. Never really got to visit the other stores, especially the Hard Rock before it became Toothsome.

Anyways, part of me wants to say that the SNW store and the possible Nintendo Store could coexist, as the SNW park merch store could be handy for selling the DK stuff if/once we get that. Though I think a dedicated Nintendo store would also be another place to buy Power Up Bands with the park being a stone's toss away.

EDIT: You know what, this probably helps go to show that things really are gonna take time if the store is still on the table. It'll probably cost less than a full scale land, but it'll still eat a decent chunk of money.

Last edited: