DreamWorks Land (General Discussion) | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

DreamWorks Land (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know we've known it was going to be a retheme for a long while, but even knowing that i'm a little disappointed at them not really doing much with the Curious George area it seems. Same pig, add lipstick. I'm sure the area will look nice which is at the very least an aesthetic improvement to bring the area out of the 90's. It's not aimed at me anyways.
They haven’t even started with the Curious George area. I would wait and see before passing judgement there.

Same pig, add lipstick.
This sums up my feelings about the area as a whole!

*dodges rotten vegetables and runs away*
tumblr_oy8kjj7d0Z1qmob6ro1_500.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Nico and Mad Dog
Not every square inch of a theme park needs to be filled with dark rides. They can have areas of reprieve and just general play areas. Especially if it’s not taking away but plussing what’s there.
That’s not what I’m saying at all. I also don’t want to relitigate any of those arguments.

I get why they want this done before Epic and done on a tight budget. But the thing for me is I just feel the lack of any significant changes that we know of to the area is what has me meh on it. It almost like aside from maybe the KFP area, it’s mostly going to be a pretty similar to feel as it was before.

That’s not necessarily bad. Shrek play area and M&G I’m sure will be nice. Trolls too. Just doesn’t feel all that “new”.

Last edited:
I know we've known it was going to be a retheme for a long while, but even knowing that i'm a little disappointed at them not really doing much with the Curious George area it seems. Same pig, add lipstick. I'm sure the area will look nice which is at the very least an aesthetic improvement to bring the area out of the 90's. It's not aimed at me anyways.
Fair to keep expectations low but this land will be way better than you think .,

Not every square inch of a theme park needs to be filled with dark rides. They can have areas of reprieve and just general play areas. Especially if it’s not taking away but plussing what’s there.
I mean you say that as if studios actually has a bunch of dark rides and it only has one that isn't screen based

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I also don’t want to relitigate any of those arguments.

My issue - and I get why - they want this done before Epic and done on a tight budget. But for me I just feel the lack of any significant changes that we know of to the area is what has me meh on it. It almost like aside from maybe the KFP area, it’s mostly going to be a pretty similar to feel as it was before.

That’s not necessarily bad. Shrek play area and M&G I’m sure will be nice. Trolls too. Just doesn’t feel all that “new”.
Down the line if they decide to expand this area with an actual dark ride, they could always do a Shrek dark ride on par with SLOP where AA is now unless that gets claimed for whatever replaces Simpsons. People have been clamoring for USF to get Pets so this would be an ideal to spot for something like it if they wanted to.

Perhaps it's because my trip to Universal Studios Hollywood is still so fresh in my mind, but it was extremely evident to me how much good could be done for USF if either Mario Kart or SLOP (or equivalent attractions) were going into the park.

I understand the argument that play areas and meet-and-greets and dance parties (or what have you) can fill an important void by providing things for kids. But you know who I saw a lot of in the queues for both of those rides in Hollywood? Kids.

I also understand the perspective of "They're going to make do at USF with limited budgets until after Epic Universe opens." I don't agree with that approach (because I feel USF has consistently been getting the short end of the stick post-Diagon, creatively), but I can understand the calculus being made.

"This area will be a big thematic and aesthetic improvement over what was there" and "It's also a missed opportunity to add to the park's ride lineup in a fast and substantial way" are opinions that can coexist.

Perhaps it's because my trip to Universal Studios Hollywood is still so fresh in my mind, but it was extremely evident to me how much good could be done for USF if either Mario Kart or SLOP (or equivalent attractions) were going into the park.

I understand the argument that play areas and meet-and-greets and dance parties (or what have you) can fill an important void by providing things for kids. But you know who I saw a lot of in the queues for both of those rides in Hollywood? Kids.

I also understand the perspective of "They're going to make do at USF with limited budgets until after Epic Universe opens." I don't agree with that approach (because I feel USF has consistently been getting the short end of the stick post-Diagon, creatively), but I can understand the calculus being made.

"This area will be a big thematic and aesthetic improvement over what was there" and "It's also a missed opportunity to add to the park's ride lineup in a fast and substantial way" are opinions that can coexist.
Post EU foresee several things getting addressed:

Simpsons and MIB getting replaced alongside a new land behind Simpsons and MIB in the Spring tent area. Maybe Simpsons and MIB become part of said hypothetical new land.

A new coaster replacing HRRR that hopefully gives the F&F IP redemption

Supercharged replaced

Either way I think USF will get the overhaul it needs in order to keep pace with IOA and EU. But as they always say, "patience is key."

There’s reason for optimism - look at Minions Cafe! There’s reason for pessimism - look at Minions Blast!

Universal hasn’t added a family-accessible AA dark ride in 24 years, and that isn’t going to change when they open an ENTIRE NEW PARK. Regardless of spin, that’s notable and, in my opinion, reflects an enormous blind spot in the thinking of execs trying to build a resort to compete with Disney.

Kids like things and can’t always articulate nuanced preferences, but they are able to comprehend differences in quality. At 5, I loved McDonalds play lands and I loved EPCOT dark rides. I did NOT love them in the same way nor was I under the impression they were equally special, as witnessed by the fact that I don’t plan trips to visit McDonalds and don’t post on message boards endlessly mourning the loss of the classic ball pits. “It’s for kids” is too often used as a cop out, an excuse for low effort additions. That is, of course, one of the legendary reasons Walt Disney created the modern theme park.