Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 116 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think professional sports are closer to finding a truncated version of their usual model, but the NCAA is going to have a much harder time. All this talk about moving all the teams and players to a single location, keeping them isolated in hotels when they aren’t playing, further reduction in player salaries to defer costs because there is zero revenue for them to use... You can’t do any of that with college students

College football straight up needs a miracle to play in the fall, in any fashion. Barring that, I think the best bet is a truncated version in the spring. No fans, limited rosters, conference play only, and then no bowls or playoff, just a final coaches or media poll at the end of the season.

If they find a way to play games, they will find a way to have the playoffs and probably the New Years 6. Way too much money in those games to have that be the part of the season they don't play. If they can have conferences play multiple out of state games, they can do a playoff.

He may not be too far off base. Locally the beach restrictions and short term rental restrictions have lifted. We've had 4 May bookings and many inquiries for our beach rental property in the past 48 hours, We typically see one to two bookings a week during this time of year. Web traffic has increased 10 fold in the past 3 days. There is a lot of pent up money and energy at the moment. Cabin fever is taking hold of some people.
Well personally it just hit me like a brick wall 2 days ago that I am really starting to feel the effects of the quarantine. Like I'm completely over covid-19 I need normalcy back. I couldn't imagine if restrictions got any worse how people would cope. I feel like a caged bird over here.

Reactions: UniversalManiac
Well personally it just hit me like a brick wall 2 days ago that I am really starting to feel the effects of the quarantine. Like I'm completely over covid-19 I need normalcy back. I couldn't imagine if restrictions got any worse how people would cope. I feel like a caged bird over here.

Yep, we'll see next weekend when all the beaches are open and all the little towns have lifted their short term rental restrictions how bad people want to get out. I really think we will see a solid re-bound in tourism/service industry for the first month or so, then it all depends on the jobs market, how bad the virus flares up, and how bad the media makes it seem.

Reactions: devinp267
Yep, we'll see next weekend when all the beaches are open and all the little towns have lifted their short term rental restrictions how bad people want to get out. I really think we will see a solid re-bound in tourism/service industry for the first month or so, then it all depends on the jobs market, how bad the virus flares up, and how bad the media makes it seem.
I expect locations in driving distance where people can have their own space (ie Rental Home) and which revolve around outdoor locations (national parks/lakes/beaches) will have a decent summer. I think big/dense locations like cities and theme parks will have down years. The airlines are going to get creamed.

If they find a way to play games, they will find a way to have the playoffs and probably the New Years 6. Way too much money in those games to have that be the part of the season they don't play. If they can have conferences play multiple out of state games, they can do a playoff.
I see your point, and I agree with it in theory, but how do you orchestrate neutral site games when traveling is likely still an issue? The federal government has already made coronavirus a provincial and regional endeavour. Some parts of the country will be in better shape than others. That's why keeping it isolated to just the conference games reduces the need to travel too far, but there's still a risk there, as well. I don't envision teams from opposite sides of the country traveling to play somewhere, even for a major bowl game. The distance is too great and creates a lot of risk.

But even still, kinda to your point, the NCAA needs everything to be functioning properly in order for it to function at all. So theoretically, if one region—ACC country, just as an example—is in way worse shape than the others, and they can't proceed with football in any way, shape or form, I don't think the NCAA could legally proceed with a season without having to pay the ACC the difference in broadcast revenue. It's all or nothing for college football, unless the NCAA makes certain concessions, like leaving it up to individual conferences to make the call and only playing within their league, but then they wouldn't get as much cash, which is always their bottom line. Like, the Big 10 could just do a conference round-robin, air all the games on their own network, and it would do gangbusters. But the NCAA wouldn't stand for it, because they wouldn't get a piece.

Like I said, it's all majorly complicated. I have no idea how things will play out. Just trying to read the tea leaves.

I expect locations in driving distance where people can have their own space (ie Rental Home) and which revolve around outdoor locations (national parks/lakes/beaches) will have a decent summer. I think big/dense locations like cities and theme parks will have down years. The airlines are going to get creamed.
I agree, some markets will not bounce back and mass transit such as airlines, bus lines, trains will have a very bad 2020. But due to low gas prices and lack of other options I think people will be willing to drive a little further. A family that is normally willing to drive 4 hours for a vacation, may now be willing to drive 6-8. As you said in a previous post I dont think international and cross country travel will return until 2021.

I think the airlines will vary wildly by country. The UK is notorious for terrible weather and if most people are wanting a ‘summer holiday’ they will need to get on a plane.

The US has such a variety of climates and things to do, that I could see people easily avoiding planes because they don’t need them. Driving is statistically more dangerous than flying but in this current climate, probably feels far safer.

The US also has such a different attitude towards long drives. It amuses me when people on this forum talk about a 300 mile trip like it’s short drive which to the majority in the UK would be the longest drive they’ll do in years.

I think the airlines will vary wildly by country. The UK is notorious for terrible weather and if most people are wanting a ‘summer holiday’ they will need to get on a plane.

The US has such a variety of climates and things to do, that I could see people easily avoiding planes because they don’t need them. Driving is statistically more dangerous than flying but in this current climate, probably feels far safer.

The US also has such a different attitude towards long drives. It amuses me when people on this forum talk about a 300 mile trip like it’s short drive which to the majority in the UK would be the longest drive they’ll do in years.

the issue with international travel though is going to be what restrictions are in place and for how long. We still aren’t allowing travel to/from the UK, and one would assume that whenever that full ban is lifted there will at least be a 14 day quarantine implemented

Reactions: SeventyOne
the issue with international travel though is going to be what restrictions are in place and for how long. We still aren’t allowing travel to/from the UK, and one would assume that whenever that full ban is lifted there will at least be a 14 day quarantine implemented

It really depends on how it plays out within the EU. The majority of people in the UK head to Spain or Portugal for their holiday.

Being trapped on an island and places like Bendorm are far dependant on tourism than places like Orlando that they might have no choice but to risk it and open up.

It really depends on how it plays out within the EU. The majority of people in the UK head to Spain or Portugal for their holiday.

Being trapped on an island and places like Bendorm are far dependant on tourism than places like Orlando that they might have no choice but to risk it and open up.
My Dad lives in Cyprus. They seem to be open to tourists in the next month or so, but only from countries that have things well under control; which would seem to rule out the UK.

I mean, on the one hand, yeah, bit on the other hand, the entirety of the UK is the size of one of our smaller states, and entirely sealocked, except by ferry and tunnel.

My Dad lives in Cyprus. They seem to be open to tourists in the next month or so, but only from countries that have things well under control; which would seem to rule out the UK.

Didn't you hear? Boris just said that we're past the peak...

...on the same day we announced the highest number of new cases.

I mean, on the one hand, yeah, bit on the other hand, the entirety of the UK is the size of one of our smaller states, and entirely sealocked, except by ferry and tunnel.

If the UK was a state, it would be the 12th largest.

Didn't you hear? Boris just said that we're past the peak...

...on the same day we announced the highest number of new cases.

If the UK was a state, it would be the 12th largest.
Okay, a largeish state - but my point stands. A multi day road trip isn't practical in UK/EU, and based on my old job, wildly expensive compared to here.

Ahh sweet Beni and its sticky attractions :look:

I'm due to fly over in September for HHN this year, but I'm not sure how that'll pan out just now. There's always Saltcoats :bonk:

• Haha
Reactions: BBPH and Scott W.
On the topic of HHN quickly, I have to say that, as someone who has been a performer a few times and knowing what I know of what usually happens within a cast as a run goes along, i'm not sure I would even feel comfortable accepting a role if it was offered. The modifications they're going to have to make this year are going to have to be major. I can't imagine that there can possibly be any scare zones and I think the cast size in houses is going to have to be cut down as well. How do you even scare in a house come to think of it? Does everyone wear a mask? I mean, normally the actors get right up in your face, which obviously can't happen.

To me, it seems like a logistical nightmare and they would be better off if they just cancelled this year's event and said "we'll celebrate the 30th next year".

On the topic of HHN quickly, I have to say that, as someone who has been a performer a few times and knowing what I know of what usually happens within a cast as a run goes along, i'm not sure I would even feel comfortable accepting a role if it was offered. The modifications they're going to have to make this year are going to have to be major. I can't imagine that there can possibly be any scare zones and I think the cast size in houses is going to have to be cut down as well. How do you even scare in a house come to think of it? Does everyone wear a mask? I mean, normally the actors get right up in your face, which obviously can't happen.

To me, it seems like a logistical nightmare and they would be better off if they just cancelled this year's event and said "we'll celebrate the 30th next year".
Only Yeti houses.

Only Yeti houses.
That causes a sanitary problem backstage as those costumes are not kept all that clean and you are constantly dripping sweat in them. Oh, and they suck to wear too. Everyone at Yeti and Depths hated being in those costumes last year.

The way I see it, if Hollywood doesn't want to start production again until there's a vaccine, then HHN shouldn't even be thought of, as lucrative as it is for Comcast.

Reactions: RevFreako
Status
Not open for further replies.