Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 118 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the same here. :lol: ..................................FWIW......The newspapers here (Western Pa.) have been polling often on CV. Here's the latest poll that started yesterday. Note that this is an area like most of the US that hasn't had a lot of cases or deaths short of the problem type nursing homes. Polling in a hard hit area like NYC metro, NJ, Philly or Detroit would probably be different.
Question: What should it take to fully reopen Pennsylvania amid the coronavirus?
*Full elimination of covid 19.......................................11%
*Once better testing is in place ................................24%
*Once the health system is secure............................9%
*We need to start reopening now..............................54%
*Not sure.....................................................................2%
Not a scientific poll, but 2,285 respondents at this point in time. These numbers are pretty consistent with some other questions posed in the past week, some getting over 40,000 respondents after running for a few days. ...Just a local snapshot though. Every area is probably different due to local circumstances, demographics etc.

I don't trust self-selecting internet polls.

I don't trust self-selecting internet polls.
Just a snapshot though,and results consistent with the ones both local papers have been running ...and I did say it wasn't scientific..................Anyway.....to add to the discussion...another snapshot from the NY Times today, "In China travelers rush to take advantage of loosened travel on restrictions'...."Moments after Beijing announced Thursday that it would lift it's quarantine requirements, airline ticket booking shot up 15 times higher than recent levels, according to Qunar, an online travel service provider. The number of tourists who booked trips in April increased by 300% over March, according to Xinua, the state news agency, citing data from Trip.com, a travel agency. Roughly 70% of the country's tourist attractions have reopened."

Just a snapshot though,and results consistent with the ones both local papers have been running ...and I did say it wasn't scientific..................Anyway.....to add to the discussion...another snapshot from the NY Times today, "In China travelers rush to take advantage of loosened travel on restrictions'...."Moments after Beijing announced Thursday that it would lift it's quarantine requirements, airline ticket booking shot up 15 times higher than recent levels, according to Qunar, an online travel service provider. The number of tourists who booked trips in April increased by 300% over March, according to Xinua, the state news agency, citing data from Trip.com, a travel agency. Roughly 70% of the country's tourist attractions have reopened."

From the same thing "The Ministry of Transport said it expected 117 million people to travel by road, rail or air during the holiday, or 23.36 million per day, about one third the daily volume last year."

From the same thing "The Ministry of Transport said it expected 117 million people to travel by road, rail or air during the holiday, or 23.36 million per day, about one third the daily volume last year."
Kind of in line with what both of us have been saying about Orlando in the near term. Some will come but not near the previous levels.

Kind of in line with what both of us have been saying about Orlando in the near term. Some will come but not near the previous levels.
i also wonder if there will be a dead cat bounce, at least initially. With airlines flying (relatively) so few flights, a rush from the minority of people who want to travel might turn people off when they see mostly full planes. Will be very interesting to watch.

i also wonder if there will be a dead cat bounce, at least initially. With airlines flying (relatively) so few flights, a rush from the minority of people who want to travel might turn people off when they see mostly full planes. Will be very interesting to watch.
Good point. This will all be interesting to watch develop. One big caveat though, with states, and even regions of states like Pa., making their determinations on widely different restraint schedules, it's going to be tough to predict any kind of travel numbers. This whole response is soooo piecemeal.

Reactions: Andysol
While small, there are Disney DIE HARDS that will truly "need" Disney after this for their own mental sake. A friend of mine and his family have a trip in October and they're going, masks needed or not, people need what makes them happy more than ever right now so I don't think it'd be busy but theres still a crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: snayberry
I found it interesting that Six Flags is saying it would take them about three weeks to re-open. I'm assuming that's because they have so much hiring to do as well as training, testing, etc. since their parks were mostly still in the off-season.

I wonder if Disney/Universal/SeaWorld will be faster than the three week rampup times since they will really just need to make adjustments to things in the parks and do some staff re-training for new procedures? I also wonder if we'll see CM/TM/Ambassador only operations to test the system like we saw in China?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Lets look at see what changed at parks AFTER 9/11. Disney Parks (and SeaWorld, but not UOR, talk about a sign of the times) were considered high target locations, Disneyland was even scoped out by terrorist groups, and they instituted the terror alert level. There was a fear that undiscovered, unactivated terrorist cells could strike again at large gatherings of people. So what did the parks do?

They installed their security guards at the entrances to parks, installed gates and retractable barriers in backstage areas to prevent truck bombs, more undercover police, and brought on bomb-sniffing dogs. Even the baggage x-rays are more recent and a reaction to domestic terrorism.

I don't think there will be lots of long term (e.g. 2+ year) changes to the parks, nearly all of this will be temporary till local governments, the federal government, and their lawyers start giving the all-clear. I could see hand sanitizers, cleaning of the park during operating hours, and voluntary mask-wearing sticking around after all of this is in the rear mirror.
I agree that a lot of the changes could be overturned in 2ish years after governments give a true all-clear.

I’m more curious what the long-term implications are for people’s psychologies. Will people avoid incredibly crowded areas long after this is over just because the pandemic scared them in a once-in-a-generation kind of way?

If Disney and Universal removed security checkpoints a couple years after 9/11, I feel like there would’ve been a non-trivial amount of people who wouldn’t go because they wouldn’t have felt safe.

I found it interesting that Six Flags is saying it would take them about three weeks to re-open. I'm assuming that's because they have so much hiring to do as well as training, testing, etc. since their parks were mostly still in the off-season.

I wonder if Disney/Universal/SeaWorld will be faster than the three week rampup times since they will really just need to make adjustments to things in the parks and do some staff re-training for new procedures? I also wonder if we'll see CM/TM/Ambassador only operations to test the system like we saw in China?
I fully expect it to take about two weeks to do everything needed in the Orlando parks. I’ve said as much a few times recently. Lots of retraining and implementation of COVID stuff that will have to happen.

Just found out Jet Blue is not booking any flights out of Tampa til 9/30. Orlando is still on their routes though. This is due to having to fly routes with 2 - 3 passengers on board.
Sucks for me, I have credit with Jet Blue and wanted to use it this summer.

Just found out Jet Blue is not booking any flights out of Tampa til 9/30. Orlando is still on their routes though. This is due to having to fly routes with 2 - 3 passengers on board.
Sucks for me, I have credit with Jet Blue and wanted to use it this summer.

Makes sense. I believe there was a plan to reduce air travel, especially to smaller airports. With Orlando just a little over an hour from Tampa, they're willing to let ya drive if you need to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.