Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think zoos and such should open fairly soon. Keep indoor exhibits closed, but outdoor should be fine. Outdoor transmission isn’t nearly as easy for this.
I’ve been thinking about that and I’m not entirely sure.

Zoos, like theme parks, are a lot of different things at once. You could easily run the outdoor exhibits with social distancing. But, could you open the food carts or are those considered restaurants? Could you open the ticket booths or are those considered stores? If zoos open up, I assume their gift stores have to stay closed because they’re stores, right?

Reactions: Lucky Planet

Zoos, like theme parks, are a lot of different things at once. You could easily run the outdoor exhibits with social distancing. But, could you open the food carts or are those considered restaurants? Could you open the ticket booths or are those considered stores? If zoos open up, I assume their gift stores have to stay closed because they’re stores, right?
and new york had some tigers getting sick as well

Reactions: Grabnar
Report from the Wall Street Journal this evening regarding potential significant layoffs across NBCU, particularly its Film, Parks and Cable TV division:

Archived link for those who can't access behind a paywall:

With all front-lined theme park workers furloughed, and back of house professional staff taking a 20% paycut, the next step is job cuts, which is indeed rare for the parks division since the Comcast acquisition given their appetite for investment and expansion. Last month, Comcast CEO's pledged $500 million (only a fraction of that is allocated to NBCU) to help employees avoid layoffs, but with theme parks losing $500 million a quarter, that fund is going to run out the longer this drags on.

Disney had already started furloughing non-Parks employees such in as their Film division, and ordering executive paycuts, but NBCU looks like they are going straight to layoffs.

Don’t think any visitor is getting within 6 feet of a tiger.

A researcher at MIT says sneeze particles can spread up to 27 feet. The slow-motion video is graphic. But, according to the researcher behind it, it's an accurate look at what happens when someone sneezes, spraying droplets as far as 27 feet away.

according to research by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, it's not just the person next to us we should worry about: coughing spreads droplets as far as six metres, and sneezing as much as eight metres. These droplets stay suspended in the air for up to 10 minutes.

Report from the Wall Street Journal this evening regarding potential significant layoffs across NBCU, particularly its Film, Parks and Cable TV division:

Archived link for those who can't access behind a paywall:

With all front-lined theme park workers furloughed, and back of house professional staff taking a 20% paycut, the next step is job cuts, which is indeed rare for the parks division since the Comcast acquisition given their appetite for investment and expansion. Last month, Comcast CEO's pledged $500 million (only a fraction of that is allocated to NBCU) to help employees avoid layoffs, but with theme parks losing $500 million a quarter, that fund is going to run out the longer this drags on.

Disney had already started furloughing non-Parks employees such in as their Film division, and ordering executive paycuts, but NBCU looks like they are going straight to layoffs.
There's just plain false information in here.

Universal STILL has not offically furloughed Part-time/seasonal workers (that comes Monday) and Full-timers are being kept on and still being paid. Hell, even part-timers haven't received their last check from Universal yet. Universal is also auto-enrolling all furloughed workers into the Florida Unemployment system, just as Disney did.

While small, there are Disney DIE HARDS that will truly "need" Disney after this for their own mental sake. A friend of mine and his family have a trip in October and they're going, masks needed or not, people need what makes them happy more than ever right now so I don't think it'd be busy but theres still a crowd.
I wouldn’t consider myself “die hard” but I’m sure most of my friends would. If universal was open June 1, is probably be there that month with my family.

I’m working from home, we’re all young and very healthy, mine and wife’s parents are staying at their home and we aren’t interacting physically, and all our groceries are still being delivered. So why not?

When we’d get back, we’d wait 2 weeks before visiting with immediate neighbors again. We’ve been interacting with a handful of families who are also healthy and young, working from home and not going out. We’ve decided as a small street to let our kids play together for those that follow similar guidelines. We have one family where dad still goes in and their kids stay inside or isolate and don’t cross street even (outside of walking).

I say all that to say I realize how lucky I am throughout all of this; but there are plenty of people with my mindset and in my situation as well. The main thing for me is; would it be enough people in my situation AND willing to travel to have UOR/WDW not lose money? I don’t think there is right now.

Pretty sure Dave and Busters is back open in Georgia. Now that’s something that should have waited.
I’d have to think no one would go there. No way I would.
Although if there are only 3 people inside, then I guess it doesn’t matter if it’s open. One has to think they’re losing even more money being open than closed right now.

So, we’ve had some food trucks (and even snow cone trucks) in our neighborhood that announce on social media when they’ll be in our specific area.
You have to pre-register and order prior to them coming and they’ll only come to your house, so no “walk ups”. You also can’t order anything additional.
So you literally just go outside and get your food that’s cooked on the spot. And some of these places are just local people who aren’t a major business and just use apps that are designed to handle it. It’s rudimentary but possible.

I would think Zoos could do similar. No gift shops or possibly indoor exhibits. All food and tix must be prepaid and ordered ahead of time and you simply walk up and get your order. Masks required.

I don’t see how an outbreak would be caused by that, even if people with COVID were to come to it.

Last edited:
That's some bad mask, Harry.
*Bad hat

I’m all for the beaches opening. Not everything is Daytona spring break. I’d argue the majority (Maybe even all?) of it isn’t. And since no one is traveling, some Florida people can actually enjoy their own beaches for once without the crushing crowds of tourists.

I don’t think I’d be chilling in Miami Beach, but with as much coastline as Florida has, there’s ample room for those who want to get some vitamin D and a mental break.

Well, either way, Universal is still going through with the furlough to Part-timers on Monday, so i'd say we still have a bit of time. I'm expecting Mid-June or so. Some departments barely have any Full-timers, so the part-timers will be needed back in order to open up the park.

I just saw the posts about the Disney face masks and while that’s not a bad price, it kind of sucks because of the small businesses that were making better and more appealing masks than Disney and got pushed to the side like always. :(

Reactions: Journey_On
Status
Not open for further replies.