Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 129 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until the Pa. governor 'ordered' everyone to wear masks a couple of weeks ago, very few in the Monongahela River Valley were wearing them here, and the weather hasn't even warmed up. What little there was, was kind of opposite the demographic's exposure to death. Some of the he 20/30 somethings had them on but very very few of the older demographics, even though they are the ones at a significantly higher risk. Same with most of the surveys I've seen around here that broke down the age brackets. The older people weren't really scared while the younger ages expressed more fear. My guess is generally that the older a person is the more they've been through in life and tough events don't have as strong, or scary, an effect on them.
Wearing a mask has nothing to do with "fear". It's literally about stopping the spread.

Wearing a mask has nothing to do with "fear". It's literally about stopping the spread.
In theory yes. But the fact that the CDC flip flopped on that, western culture has no real history of wearing masks, many don't like some government officials 'ordering them instead of just recommending' wearing, many people are uncomfortable wearing them especially in hot humid weather areas and seasons, they don't believe the media, and frankly many people don't believe they have any 'significant' effect....all comes into play in varying degrees..older people have less fear of this..Plus, a lot of it is regional. Different areas have differing values & beliefs, and trust, or lack of, government and the media.

In theory yes. But the fact that the CDC flip flopped on that, western culture has no real history of wearing masks, many don't like some government officials 'ordering them instead of just recommending' wearing, many people are uncomfortable wearing them especially in hot humid weather areas and seasons, they don't believe the media, and frankly many people don't believe they have any 'significant' effect....all comes into play in varying degrees....Plus, a lot of it is regional. Different areas have differing values & beliefs, and trust, or lack of, government and the media.

Ive gone to many locations in and around Pittsburgh and never saw this disregard for mask wearing. So...

In theory yes. But the fact that the CDC flip flopped on that, western culture has no real history of wearing masks, many don't like some government officials 'ordering them instead of just recommending' wearing, many people are uncomfortable wearing them especially in hot humid weather areas and seasons, they don't believe the media, and frankly many people don't believe they have any 'significant' effect....all comes into play in varying degrees....Plus, a lot of it is regional. Different areas have differing values & beliefs, and trust, or lack of, government and the media.
Yes, I know a lot of people choose to be willful idiots because they're resentful any time people who actually know what they're talking about tell them what they should do to protect themselves.

Reactions: anihilnation
Ive gone to many locations in and around Pittsburgh and never saw this disregard for mask wearing. So...
As I've said it's regional , you're new to Pittsburgh & live a different area of Pittsburgh and your contact with people might be very different than us long term locals , and in this area (Mon River Valley) mask wearing was very minimal, until the governor ordered it....and getting back to his order, two thirds of 48,000 respondents in the Trip Poll of locals said the 'governor has gone too far with his mask 'order'. i know you have disdain for those unscientific surveys , but on a local level they're probably way more indicative of local feelings than a national 1,000 person survey that may not have even surveyed anyone from this area. ...If the lock down was so popular, you wouldn't have all of the county commissioners in southwest Pa., of both parties, writing angry letters to the governor imploring him to end the lock down.

In theory yes. But the fact that the CDC flip flopped on that, western culture has no real history of wearing masks, many don't like some government officials 'ordering them instead of just recommending' wearing, many people are uncomfortable wearing them especially in hot humid weather areas and seasons, they don't believe the media, and frankly many people don't believe they have any 'significant' effect....all comes into play in varying degrees..older people have less fear of this..Plus, a lot of it is regional. Different areas have differing values & beliefs, and trust, or lack of, government and the media.
People don’t like to be told what to do. That’s human nature. But we have to listen now and wear masks. It’s a matter of life and death for many people and the longer this goes on because of lack of compliance, the more the deaths pile on up. The numbers they show on TV aren’t just numbers, they’re real people that have died from this virus and they are very likely under counting.

If that's what he meant, then I retract my statement. I took the "embrace the suck" comment to mean people need to suck it up and either stay home or wear masks when out in public, because it does suck. But it's necessary.

That's exactly what I meant. Stay home wear a mask because the more people out whining and hollering, the more you keep this virus circulating.

Reactions: Nick and Journey_On
I just don't see how HHN can possibly happen this year. HHN is like a close-contact sport. Applying the 6 foot social distancing really leaves it so you can only have a bunch of people on stages in the streets and bare bones houses I guess? If you were to run HHN as usual, there's normally 25-30 people in a house per cast, sometimes upwards of 40 if you have a megahouse. That's all in tight spaces and you have Events ops people around every corner and there's very little way to limit contact between a performer and a guest. They can also try and pulse the houses, but people still end up on top of each other. It's inevitable.

They could run a very bare bones event this year, but the problem becomes, will people still show up like they used to? No. Some will stay home that otherwise would go. And they'd be putting on an inferior product, so do they charge less? Do you really waste some ideas you had planned for a grand 30th year on a year that will turn into a dud? It'll be interesting.

I am positive there will be changes to HHN, more of them behind the scenes than in front but it will still be evident from a customer point of view. That said, I'm still expecting the event to happen this year until they outright say they it isn't. I don't think all the scares will be animatronics or puppets and I don't think every actor will be behind a glass wall. They are almost assuredly past the point where they would be able to design the entire event with a staunch social-distancing stance in mind.

If the parks have been reopened by September and October and they remain open, the event will simply take place with some new procedures and guidelines and while it won't be stated, the onus will be on the event goer to decide if they want to take the risk and attend. At this point I personally will be willing to take the risk in October unless things are just drastically worse when the event happens. If the idea of being in an enclosed space with numerous other people so close to this epidemic makes you uneasy, I think you would just be skipping this year's event, simple as that.

Yes, I know a lot of people choose to be willful idiots because they're resentful any time people who actually know what they're talking about tell them what they should do to protect themselves.
You’ve traveled and experienced too many cultures to hold this myopic of a viewpoint.
Im not saying I agree with their actions (I don’t), but it’s not as simplistic as that.

Reactions: Mad Dog
People don’t like to be told what to do. That’s human nature. But we have to listen now and wear masks. It’s a matter of life and death for many people and the longer this goes on because of lack of compliance, the more the deaths pile on up. The numbers they show on TV aren’t just numbers, they’re real people that have died from this virus and they are very likely under counting.
Yes...but that's the key phrase, "People don't like to be told what to do". When you 'order' people, and your message is not clear due to policy reversals,or muddled, as the government & CDC''s has been thus far, there's going to natural resistance, especially in a culture that has no real history of wearing masks, in fact a culture where wearing masks is identified with the bad guys. IF, the government would have been clear and concise from day one, and truly educated the public, the response may well have been better....My personal opinion doesn't play into this since I'm fortunate in where I live, I can easily avoid the issues most others are stuck with. My daily life has changed very very little....But I am very networked out in this area due to a long lifetime in local government, business, education and soccer. The Mon Valley went through a real economic depression for a decade, beginning in the early 80's , when in a couple of years we lost 170,000 high paying steel industry jobs to unfair foreign government sponsored imports. Nearly every town and city in the valley had unemployment of 20 to 30% for a decade, and we received no help from the Feds or State. These people had just been getting on their feet and growth was coming back when the governor shut down nearly every single local business except for the big corporate boxes. I talk and communicate with a lot of people in this area, some very prominent in the business, political and medical communities. There's a lot of very hardcore anger from just about everyone that this area was unnecessarily shut down for so long. They're mostly angry about the economic hurt they're feeling. And they absolutely 'hate' it when they get 'ordered' to do things, especially when the problem is very minimal here. This is where the "Whiskey Rebellion' started, nearly everyone owns a gun or rifle, and (I'm certainly not one of them) one of the site's of the early Tea Party movement.....As I said, my personal feelings aside, this is what I see in my area, and it's just a microcosm of the USA where 'every' area is a bit different, so one size fits all just doesn't necessarily work well....Heck, even in hard hit NYC metro (NYC/NJ/Philly/Conn.) area which has witnessed more than half of all USA deaths, there are still NYC neighborhoods that were hard hit with deaths that are staging large weddings and massive funeral shoulder to shoulder street marches numbering in the thousands, and large numbers without masks on, in defiance. And that six block area of Queens populated by legal and illegal immigrants that at onetime comprised 20% of all NYC covid deaths, still has nightly crowds on the streets, partially because so many families are packed together so closely in small apartments that covid spreads likel wildfire.The government has done a poor job of helping the poor and putting out a coherent steady, no flip flops, message. I don't blame the people, there's other blame to go around, and even the scientists don't have all that great a track record in this.

even the scientists don't have all that great a track record in this.

Because "science" is not a one way road, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. America is full of willfully ignorant people who, when someone who knows what they're talking about is wrong *one time*, believe they have cart blanche to ignore anything they say after that. The initial masking procedure was a mistake, and they've admitted that. but instead of accepting that and moving onto something that will actually help, Americans throw a hissy fit because "You can't tell me what to do, dad!"

Because "science" is not a one way road, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. America is full of willfully ignorant people who, when someone who knows what they're talking about is wrong *one time*, believe they have cart blanche to ignore anything they say after that. The initial masking procedure was a mistake, and they've admitted that. but instead of accepting that and moving onto something that will actually help, Americans throw a hissy fit because "You can't tell me what to do, dad!"
But, it's about trust....and even Fauci & Birx admitted they, and other scientists around the world that they were acquainted with, errred because they believed China was being truthful, and thus they both didn't believe it to be a major threat back in January. Not necessarily their fault because they were basing their evaluation on bad data. And I think both their reputations have recovered because their recent actions and explanations have been pretty good and most people trust them. But, the early understanding of this virus, and the original data on deaths and contagion the scientific community relayed, and the WHO's too much political actions, has created a situation where many people are skeptical of the info coming out, since it often changes after a few weeks. And, yes, I understand it's the nature of the beast, partly because in this situation the scientific community was unprepared and their knowledge of this, even at this point in time, is still insufficient. That's a big reason so many are skeptical of 'orders'. But, personally, I think the labs around the world are making tremendous progress, and though I've been accused of being overly optimistic, I believe the researchers will come up with treatments/possible vaccine before the year ends which will make the mask wearing situation moot. And once the hot weather comes, I think we'll see less and less people wearing masks unless they're specifically ordered to do so.

Reactions: Andysol
Because "science" is not a one way road, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. America is full of willfully ignorant people who, when someone who knows what they're talking about is wrong *one time*, believe they have cart blanche to ignore anything they say after that.
Because "innovation" is not a one way road, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. America is full of brilliant people who, when someone who knows what they're talking about is wrong *one time*, believe they have cart blanche to ignore anything they say after that.

It's the infuriating thing about American culture and yet also likely our greatest strength. It is what it is, and I'm not gonna whine about it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
But, personally, I think the labs around the world are making tremendous progress, and though I've been accused of being overly optimistic, I believe the researchers will come up with treatments/possible vaccine before the year ends which will make the mask wearing situation moot.
This is like playing Russian Roulette because you think someone's going to cure gunshot wounds to the head in a few months.
It's the infuriating thing about American culture and yet also likely our greatest strength. It is what it is, and I'm not gonna whine about it.

I'll whine when it's used to not wear a mask, the smallest possible inconvenience, to stop the spread of a deadly pandemic.

This is like playing Russian Roulette because you think someone's going to cure gunshot wounds to the head in a few months.

I'll whine when it's used to not wear a mask, the smallest possible inconvenience, to stop the spread of a deadly pandemic.
And being pessimistic is good? .....You have to give people hope. And there's plenty of smart people out there that believes this will get done sooner than the pessimists expect. Never underestimate the strength of 'will do' when a true crisis arises.

Reactions: Andysol

I've always like the skittles analogy.

You're hungry and somebody hands you a bag of 1000 skittles but one of them is poison and will kill you. Would you try one?

And being pessimistic is good? .....You have to give people hope. And there's plenty of smart people out there that believes this will get done. Never underestimate the strength of 'will do' when a true crisis arises.
I think you're confusing my realistic view on the situation for pessimism. I've said multiple times I believe we will find a vaccine sooner rather than later. But even if we do, it won't be until next year when it will be available at a scale to make a difference. That would still be *incredibly* fast and an incredible job by the scientists working on it. But it doesn't change the fact that for the next year or so (at the very least) we're going to have a deadly virus running through the population, and not even bothering to do something as minimal as putting on a mask around others in order to slow the spread is the epitome of selfishness and ignorance.

I think you're confusing my realistic view on the situation for pessimism. I've said multiple times I believe we will find a vaccine sooner rather than later. But even if we do, it won't be until next year when it will be available at a scale to make a difference. That would still be *incredibly* fast and an incredible job by the scientists working on it. But it doesn't change the fact that for the next year or so (at the very least) we're going to have a deadly virus running through the population, and not even bothering to do something as minimal as putting on a mask around others in order to slow the spread is the epitome of selfishness and ignorance.
Yes, I recall you saying that....It's getting to the point we're really arguing two different questions. I don't disagree with you that people should probably wear masks, at least indoors or crowded outdoor areas. And, heck, just like you no way I go to Disney or Universal before sufficient treatment and/or vaccine gets released. My point is that I think, especially once the weather gets hot, that there will be many areas and regions of the country where few will wear masks. I believe that's the reality, whether it's the wise choice or not. So, I don't think we're really all that far away from each other's personal views. I'm just not looking at it through a theoretical lens, more of a that's probably what's going to happen, not necessarily everywhere, but in many places.

Status
Not open for further replies.