Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 136 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see that the biggest theme park in The Netherlands (Efteling) and Germany (Europa Park) are both opening this month (Efteling May 20th and Europa Park May 29th).

The dates MCO is expecting international travel to begin again.

Interesting mix of dates for Europe, even the difference in the airlines approach from London. All could of course change.

But good news hopefully for your trip?

Reactions: shiekra38
Exactly. I think this will weirdly mirror the Disneyland SWGE kerfuffle.

It's important to realize Shanghai has a local population of *24 million* people, nearly double that of the LA metro area and *12x* that of the Orlando metro area. With a capacity cap of less than 240000 people in the park at one time, all it would take is .001% of the population to decide to go to Shanghai DL for it to sell out in a single day.

The big issue, long term, is that China's consumers have largely not come back from the pandemic.

It's important to realize Shanghai has a local population of *24 million* people, nearly double that of the LA metro area and *12x* that of the Orlando metro area. With a capacity cap of less than 240000 people in the park at one time, all it would take is .001% of the population to decide to go to Shanghai DL for it to sell out in a single day.

The big issue, long term, is that China's consumers have largely not come back from the pandemic.
Exactly. And as I've said before, this comes at a bad time for China since they've been trying to convert their economy to a consumer driven economy since a lot of international company manufacturing is leaving the now higher labor cost China for cheaper labor cost areas in southeast Asia....and the other day I read a report of over 275,000 bankruptcies in China since the CV rampage began..China doesn't have a long history of consumer spending economy, so hopefully the Us may come back a little quicker. Americans like to buy. But the reality is that it'll probably be at a slow increase spread over many months, not a quick spurt when all the lockdowns end. It'll take a good while to get back to normal, economy wise.

Last edited:
Exactly. And as I've said before, this comes at a bad time for China since they've been trying to convert their economy to a consumer driven economy since a lot of international company manufacturing is leaving the now higher labor cost China for cheaper labor cost areas in southeast Asia.

The economical cost of the parks returning to normal is something that seems to always be overlooked.

Just because the parks are open and maybe even they’re completely safe again, a lot of people are going to be in financial trouble for a long time after this and a trip to Disney World is going to be on the bottom of the list of essentials.

The economical cost of the parks returning to normal is something that seems to always be overlooked.

Just because the parks are open and maybe even they’re completely safe again, a lot of people are going to be in financial trouble for a long time after this and a trip to Disney World is going to be on the bottom of the list of essentials.
and the big spending foreign tourism will be almost nil until at least 2021.

This quote from the article I posted was the most striking:

In the U.S., the travel sector will likely see an 81% revenue nosedive for April and May, according to Oxford Economics. “A $519 billion decline in travel spending in the U.S. this year will translate into a total economic loss of $1.2 trillion in economic output. This is more than nine times the impact of 9/11 on travel sector revenue,” it said.

That is honestly a terrifying number.

In the U.S., the travel sector will likely see an 81% revenue nosedive for April and May, according to Oxford Economics. “A $519 billion decline in travel spending in the U.S. this year will translate into a total economic loss of $1.2 trillion in economic output. This is more than nine times the impact of 9/11 on travel sector revenue,” it said.

and it'll probably be the slowest section of the entire US economy to rebound. It doesn't bode well for Orlando in 2020.

So do we know with 100% certainty that Shanghai Disneyland can operate at a profit just by selling out the reduced capacity tickets?

So do we know with 100% certainty that Shanghai Disneyland can operate at a profit just by selling out the reduced capacity tickets?
I doubt anyone but Disney Truly knows....but my guess is at the very least it slows down how much money they would lose with some parks being open and also helps out there work force.

Reactions: JawsVictim
Yea, but Comcast shareholders have also only been around the parks during the best years they've ever had. I just hope they don't get too scared during the next 2 years
Yes. The best thing working in our favor is that Comcast has been one of the few US corporations that generally place long term gains before short term quarterly results. Hoping the cable & broadband business stays healthy/positive enough that the new park expenditure is small potatoes in the big picture.

I still just hope Uni stays the course with EU. I'm having flashbacks to the original third park plans after 9/11
It's shockingly similar...The only difference is that IOA was already built

Contrary to what people say, IOA, and therefore Universal Orlando was the only park that saw an attendance bump after 9/11

It will be interesting to see where the tourism market heads in the next couple of years

I don't want to speculate, because Brian will yell at me, but many of the EU concepts could easily fit in the original parks...worst case scenario

Our local economy is largely tourism based. Hotel/Resort occupancy rates were down 41% in March. I expect those numbers to be around the 80% you quoted for April. May is looking better now that restrictions have been lifted. I know my personal properties are about 60% of normal so far for May, new bookings almost daily. I expect 75% or so for the remainder of the season if current trends continue.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It's shockingly similar...The only difference is that IOA was already built

Contrary to what people say, IOA, and therefore Universal Orlando was the only park that saw an attendance bump after 9/11

It will be interesting to see where the tourism market heads in the next couple of years

I don't want to speculate, because Brian will yell at me, but many of the EU concepts could easily fit in the original parks...worst case scenario

I don't think EU will be canceled. Florida is putting to much money into the road work for it to be, IMO. But it'd be easy to cut a ride here or there, which would suck

Our local economy is largely tourism based. Hotel/Resort occupancy rates were down 41% in March. I expect those numbers to be around the 80% you quoted for April. May is looking better now that restrictions have been lifted. I know my personal properties are about 60% of normal so far for May, new bookings almost daily. I expect 75% or so for the remainder of the season if current trends continue.
Meaning you're not dependent on air travel. Places that are dependent on air travel aren't going to be at 75% for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.