Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Orlando, just about more than any other city/area in the country, is reliant on one industry, tourism. Close it, and the economic effects will be short term devastating. I'd guess the state/local government will hold out as long as they can concerning issuing closing orders. A shut down of two weeks wouldn't be catastrophic, but a couple of months would be.

Probably good to remember, as well, that for most intents and purposes, WDW is its own local government.

I was at Magic Kingdom last night and everything was less than 45 minute wait around 7:30 for a 10PM close. I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but i'm sure if MK is seeing what seems to be low crowds during a normally busy time of year then SeaWorld is getting hit pretty bad.
Yes....Touring Plans was predicting level 9 and 10 crowds at Universal & WDW this week. Daily crowd levels have been about half that. (Note: Crowd levels reflect line times, not actual attendance)

Reactions: Andysol
Im no trying to get overly political here but the lack of response from the President is insanely alarming. The travel ban is the tiniest bit of a start in this game of catch up we are now playing. Just a few days ago we were just where Italy was, 600 confirmed cases and no testing. Seattle found more cases after going against the Federal Governments wishes and began testing more and found more cases. Essentially, the President is only trying to ignore/ease the public so the markets don't crash as the economy is all he really has going for his campaign/re-election, so he's just trying to ease the markets and its literally going to cause mass deaths across the country.

If you aren't taking this seriously now, start taking it seriously. Don't need to be the tough guy downplaying this. Take care of yourself, social distance, and lets see how/when this will blow over. This is all very not normal.
I don't mean to be nitpicky, but you're using the term "social distance" wrong. Social distance is more about relationships and emotional distance rather than physical distance. We need more physical distance but less social distance.

Edit
I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Since this is an entertainment thread too - worth noting that A Quiet Place 2 is now delayed indefinitely.

Really interested to see how the film industry reacts. Film production is being delayed (Mission Impossible in Italy) or cancelled in some places (Falcon & Winter Soldier in Prague). Release dates being delayed with no end in sight....which can mean a few things.

If studios are okay with delaying entire slates of films, maybe they just push for a longtime...but my assumption is the studios will want to make some ROI on their productions...so I'm guessing some upcoming releases (most likely non-blockbusters) will be coming straight to VOD for a higher price...knowing people will be at home and willing to watch.

Since this is an entertainment thread too - worth noting that A Quiet Place 2 is now delayed indefinitely.

Really interested to see how the film industry reacts. Film production is being delayed (Mission Impossible in Italy) or cancelled in some places (Falcon & Winter Soldier in Prague). Release dates being delayed with no end in sight....which can mean a few things.

If studios are okay with delaying entire slates of films, maybe they just push for a longtime...but my guess is the studios will want to make some money still...so I'm guessing some upcoming releases (most likely non-blockbusters) will be coming straight to VOD for a higher price...knowing people will be at home and willing to watch.

I'd legit pay for this right now; imagine being able to license 1 showing of a new movie for like $50!

You, your kids, friends, whoever straight for $50 with the ability to pause? Sold. Makes camvids too easy, though, so it probably won't happen

I'd legit pay for this right now; imagine being able to license 1 showing of a new movie for like $50!

You, your kids, friends, whoever straight for $50 with the ability to pause? Sold. Makes camvids too easy, though, so it probably won't happen
I agree - but also would suck for single people and would cost serious money. You’re right though - people would pirate big time.

Last edited:
A second player from the Utah Jazz was confirmed to have Coronavirus. His locker is right next to Rudy Gobert's, the other player to get it. They're also the two most popular players on the team, so it's very possible they contracted it from fan interactions (and also passed it on to other fans).

A second player from the Utah Jazz was confirmed to have Coronavirus. His locker is right next to Rudy Gobert's, the other player to get it. They're also the two most popular players on the team, so it's very possible they contracted it from fan interactions (and also passed it on to other fans).

Goddamnit he's one of my favorite players. I know he'll likely be fine but man, did Gobert become the biggest villain in the NBA over night? What an ass he must feel like now. I know everything can be in hindsight but BRO you f'd up big time

Reactions: Suprachica79
The nascar race march 22nd in Homestead is postponed, from what they are saying it was from the state of Florida, not nascar. they have the option of having the race but with no fans.

MLS (the US pro soccer league) just suspended their season like the NBA.

Observation about Disney closing: NYC, Boston and Dublin (!) have all cancelled St Patricks events this weekend. Raglan Road posted on Facebook promoting their event this afternoon. Technically a third party venue, but I think speaks volumes about TDO's views on this.

AFAIK, all three Orlando parks have concerts going on this weekend, as well.

ETA: Howl at the Moon Orlando (up on I-Drive) just emailed me with copy amounting to "yeah, we're still going to open for St Patricks".

MLS (the US pro soccer league) just suspended their season like the NBA.

Observation about Disney closing: NYC, Boston and Dublin (!) have all cancelled St Patricks events this weekend. Raglan Road posted on Facebook promoting their event this afternoon. Technically a third party venue, but I think speaks volumes about TDO's views on this.

AFAIK, all three Orlando parks have concerts going on this weekend, as well.

ETA: Howl at the Moon Orlando (up on I-Drive) just emailed me with copy amounting to "yeah, we're still going to open for St Patricks".
NHL is suspending their season and MLB is suspending Spring Training and delaying the start of the regular season as well.

I think the parks will close at some point, Disneyland potentially as soon as tomorrow with Anaheim banning unnecessary gatherings of over 250 people. We'll see if Orlando or the Governor of FL place any restrictions. City of Orlando restrictions would close UOR and SW, but WDW would technically be allowed to stay open.

Reactions: SeventyOne
We'll see if Orlando or the Governor of FL place any restrictions. City of Orlando restrictions would close UOR and SW, but WDW would technically be allowed to stay open.

Just to confuse things further, SW technically in unincorporated Orange County, not city of Orlando, so we're looking at state, county and city. Bonnet Creek hotels might fall under county control as well (not to mention pretty much anything on I-Drive or 535) --will not go over well is they are closed bu WDW-owned can stay open.

That said, while Anaheim seems to have an antagonistic relationship with DLR, Orlando and particularly Orange County have strong ties to WDW, UOR and I-Drive hotel maven Harris Rosen.That's a lot of local power-brokers to risk pissing off. I think the only chance is a statewide order from the Governor, but this is his first political gig, making him kind of hard to read.

Debating if I should go hit up Orlando again. I got back last week from a 3 day Universal trip. I wonder if it would be safe for me to put myself in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.