Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly...I wouldn’t.

For background purposes: 3 days spent at Disney end of February and I have some sort of amalgam mystery illness that I’m still recovering from-first it wasn’t strep, then it was, now it’s pneumonia symptoms-still self quarantining anyway. I’m 31 with no prior physical ailments.

While I haven’t been back to Universal since HHN, I don’t think it’s farfetched to say theme parks in general can be cesspools. If the parks are even still open, it’s super risky.
Are you saying you have coronavirus? Because if you don't have it, then your post basically says "never go to theme parks."

GOOD ON DISNEY FOR PAYING THEIR CAST
Will servers still get tips? Cause if WDW closes, I know someone who relies on those tips to pay bills.

I'm also really curious how they're paying hourly employees. Do they just assume 40 hours for everyone?

Will servers still get tips? Cause if WDW closes, I know someone who relies on those tips to pay bills.

Obviously not, tho at least by Florida standards I believe they are paid the actual minimum wage, not the tipped minimum wage. But definitely rough for anyone in a tipped position. Looking at a severe 3-week paycut at best.

Also, I would guess part-timers are paid at 20 or 24 hours, but that's speculation on my part. Actually better for them than being scheduled for 6 hours in a week, which was likely to happen. But again, in Orlando, overtime a large part of a lot of CMs' budgets.

Reactions: RevFreako
There's no other way to say it but this a shitty situation for everybody involved. I hope that common sense prevails and we can all buckle down and do everything that we need to do to get this situation under control. It could take a few weeks, it could take a few months and I hope that everybody gets the help that they need.

Are you saying you have coronavirus? Because if you don't have it, then your post basically says "never go to theme parks."

If you read my post you’ll see that I don’t know for a fact what I have (my doctor didn’t either when he saw me), and until my doctor decides to return my phone calls, I’m staying in the house.

I see nothing wrong with quarantining yourself when you’re sick (even if it ends up just being a very bad common cold, strep, pneumonia, etc.) to not spread any of your germs to the immunocompromised.

Obviously it’s an unpopular opinion, but, while we’re in the midst of an unprecedented (in our lifetime) global pandemic I’d rather be safe than ~WOLO.

Reactions: Frogki
Hey Disney, you’re going to compensate for those lost dates that those AP holders just lost after those aggressive price increases, right? RIGHT?

RIP to those who also bought tickets to go when it’s closed.

If you read my post you’ll see that I don’t know for a fact what I have (my doctor didn’t either when he saw me), and until my doctor decides to return my phone calls, I’m staying in the house.

I see nothing wrong with quarantining yourself when you’re sick (even if it ends up just being a very bad common cold, strep, pneumonia, etc.) to not spread any of your germs to the immunocompromised.

Obviously it’s an unpopular opinion, but, while we’re in the midst of an unprecedented (in our lifetime) global pandemic I’d rather be safe than ~WOLO.
I read your post, and considering you went weeks ago, before there was even a confirmed case of coronavirus in Florida, I'm going to suggest you don't have it. And if you do have it, the likelihood that you got it from your trip is low.

So with that in mind, your post basically just suggests people avoid theme parks entirely because you caught something there.

Also - I too recommend quarantining yourself when you're sick. I never said not to. I also recommend staying at home if you have asthma, diabetes, other health conditions, or are elderly, or live with others who fall into these groups.

I have only recommended that people who are not sick, who are healthy and young, go enjoy your lives. Don't visit grandma right now, but go spend some money at a restaurant, tip your server, because that person needs to pay their rent. Maybe don't go on a spending spree until we know the outcome of all this, but spending a few dollars here and there should be fine. Don't go hiding your money under the mattress unless you live paycheck to paycheck like your server likely does.

Last edited:
Welp, there we go. Insane it took the entire internet dragging them to get there though

Curious if it's that or the state of California itself.

It's not a coincidence one coast is closing while the other isn't. I don't think it's pressure from people or Disney "doing the right thing" as much as it is California and the fact Disney doesn't have the pull they have in that region and state that they have elsewhere.
Florida is another animal. Not only is it dependent on tourism, but they run that state for the most part.

It's such a terrible situation in Florida Re: WDW. Because tourism is all they have. Shut down the parks and you might as well close up all of central Florida impacting millions of people and their livelihoods. It's all a really tough balancing act down there. There's no easy answer that doesn't have significant consequences one way or the other.

Wonder how long this will really go on till.

Not to sound like a selfish meanie, but was planning on doing a week at Disney World end of May for my wife's birthday.

This is really starting to snowball. I'm guessing all other CA theme parks are likely to suffer the same fate real soon.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Europe is expecting it to peak in April/May. The challenge is that there are countless people who already have it, are infectious, and don't know it. That's how Italy saw such an exponential explosion in ten days. People had it and didn't know it.

So, while "young and healthy people get to enjoy life," is a stance, it's also a stance that ignores incubation periods, infectiousness, and the "impression" of health. Just because you feel healthy now doesn't mean you don't have COVID-19. It also doesn't mean you won't get it and give it somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.