Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The WOLO was an exaggeration/joke (because someone said "we only live once"), but yes, live your life ***IF*** you are not sick, healthy, not at risk, and don't go visiting grandma. And also wash your hands, and don't touch your face.

But you implied that I was telling sick people (including you) to leave the house by saying:

Because no one was telling you to go outside. There was no reason to say this other than to imply that's what I was saying, which was the opposite of what I was saying.

This has just gotta be dropped, dude. Time to move on from this.

WDW and Universal will follow suit eventually. The situation is a bit more progressed here in L.A., which is probably why Orlando hasn't pulled the trigger yet, but they might as well do it in the next 24-36 hours because things will get just as bad there eventually. Shutting things down early will only help.
The Orlando parks are pretty much the only major thing left to close in the USA as far as places where extremely large gatherings of people are. It begins to look bad from a PR standpoint if they don't close soon because it really comes off as greedy by keeping them open and with Universal having THREE concerts this weekend, I get why they don't want to close, but that could do a lot of harm, especially the Luis Fonsi concert which will likely be packed.

The cruise industry should also be pressured to shut down for a period of time.

The Orlando parks are pretty much the only major thing left to close in the USA as far as places where extremely large gatherings of people are. It begins to look bad from a PR standpoint if they don't close soon because it really comes off as greedy by keeping them open and with Universal having THREE concerts this weekend, I get why they don't want to close, but that could do a lot of harm, especially the Luis Fonsi concert which will likely be packed.

The cruise industry should also be pressured to shut down for a period of time.

As of right now, WrestleMania is still planned in Tampa

WDW and Universal will follow suit eventually. The situation is a bit more progressed here in L.A., which is probably why Orlando hasn't pulled the trigger yet, but they might as well do it in the next 24-36 hours because things will get just as bad there eventually. Shutting things down early will only help.
Florida could be in the same place as CA is right now, and the parks would likely still be open. With its tens of thousands of hotel guests and much different overseeing government, the only thing that IMO could cause a full shutdown would be a big outbreak directly linked to WDW.

Reactions: Andysol
Maybe they're embracing the asteroid.

I think you are ignoring (or don't understand) my point. People who *feel* healthy, or think they are healthy, are not guaranteed to actually be healthy. Saying, "Only healthy people should go out," assumes that "healthy" is a binary thing now, when its not. If 10 people, in their twenties, think they're healthy but one of them is not healthy, then that person has potentially infected 9 other people. All because they thought they were healthy.

THAT'S the challenge. You're relying on "I feel healthy" as a baseline, when "feeling healthy" doesn't mean you actually are healthy. I had a chronic sinus infection for eight months that I just thought was severe allergies. What my wife thought was a pulled muscle turned out to be a pulmonary embolism. The human brain can absolutely trick itself into thinking nothing is wrong. And a dismissive stance of, "But I'm young enough it won't kill me," indicates a superficial callousness that can cause more infections.

Plain and simple, if you are concerned about catching plague, the best thing to do is avoid the crowds. If you are concerned you may already have plague and don't want to give it to others, the best thing to do is avoid the crowds. If you don't want to find yourself in either plague-dicament, the best thing to do is avoid crowds.
I do agree with all your points, but I do want to focus on one thing...

When you say that people could feel healthy but be a carrier, this is why I recommend that everyone, even people who feel healthy, stay away from those who are at risk. This is why I have personally cancelled a staycation with an elderly person, because I don't want to get them sick (even though I feel healthy). They should be locked away in their home with no visitors. Unless they're yolo, which more often than not, I've found they are.

Florida could be in the same place as CA is right now, and the parks would likely still be open. With its tens of thousands of hotel guests and much different overseeing government, the only thing that IMO could cause a full shutdown would be a big outbreak directly linked to WDW.
And the likelihood of that happening is extremely high, which is why they probably will shut down. Or, it's at least why they shouild shut down. Waiting until there's a body count would be an absolute PR nightmare, possibly an irrevocable one. Neither Disney nor Universal would abide that.

And both parks can shut down regardless of what the "overseeing government" decides. The Florida GOP can continue on in bad faith, but the parks can do whatever they want.

REMINDER:

This thread is for the impact on the tourism industry, parks, cruises, etc.

To talk about the impact on sports, movies, general information, how to prevent contact, and what to do if you get it visit the General Discussion thread.

You may want to change the thread title to clarify that then as sports and movies are part of the entertainment industry.

REMINDER:

This thread is for the impact on the tourism industry, parks, cruises, etc.

To talk about the impact on sports, movies, general information, how to prevent contact, and what to do if you get it visit the General Discussion thread.

I actually think COVID news surrounding Sports and Movies is more relevant here and the general discussion thread should just be for essential information and conversation that comes from the government or stuff of that nature.

These things are all part of the same industry (theme parks = entertainment), anyway, which was why I changed the thread title.

And both parks can shut down regardless of what the "overseeing government" decides. The Florida GOP can continue on in bad faith, but the parks can do whatever they want.
Of course they can. But let’s not simplify it down to “bad faith”. Shutting down WDW/UOR in Florida is basically a death nail to their economy. It would be like banning corn production in Iowa, refining in Texas or Agriculture in California.
It’s a decision that has significantly more ramifications than something like DL or USH would have in California.

To be fair to the millions who live there, I don’t fault them for waiting until the last minute. I also wouldn’t fault them for closing up shop tomorrow. It’s a no win situation right now, unfortunately.
I have sincere empathy for the state of Florida, their politicians (of both sides on the stage and local level), and their citizens.

Last edited:

I figured it was only a matter of time before that decision was going to come down. I honestly don’t think I could have ever imagined seeing all 6 theme parks closing down like this. I’m all for it if helps stop the spread but feel for everyone involved that will inevitably suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.