Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamnit he's one of my favorite players. I know he'll likely be fine but man, did Gobert become the biggest villain in the NBA over night? What an ass he must feel like now. I know everything can be in hindsight but BRO you f'd up big time
I'm gonna say that there's nothing in hindsight that can make that jackass's behavior acceptable. His NBA career is over, if there's any justice.

Healthy people should not be visiting old, sick, or other at risk individuals. Those people should be quarantined completely with no visitors. That would save more lives than any other measure.

Honestly what is catching me off guard the most out of this is hearing several boomers not seem to care at all about getting sick or dying. One insisted on shaking my hand. I've seen a few that are completely yolo about this. Not sure if that's just because that's a small sample size or a widespread mentality from that generation.
Or they're getting their information from rotten sources like Fox News.

*In regards to the economic impact of those who depend on tourism for a paycheck, eg much of Orlando area.*

The government seems ready to pass a bill which includes sick leave and free testing. This doesn't go far enough.

1) Even if someone tests positive, what if they need treatment? Who pays for this? This is arguably the more costly part. There's a lot they could do in this area, like promise coronavirus healthcare services will be free for patients testing positive, open up the healthcare exchange for enrollment, open up Medicare as a public option on the exchange, pass Medicaid expansion for *all* states (like Florida, which previously blocked it) to cover the poor.

2) Even if someone has 'sick leave', there's going to be millions of people (especially in Orlando) sent home and/or laid off who are healthy and may not receive enough support. Unemployment benefits in Florida are very weak. People who are most at risk need additional assistance to ensure they won't lose their home, car, or worry about having food on their table.

*In regards to the economic impact of those who depend on tourism for a paycheck, eg much of Orlando area.*

The government seems ready to pass a bill which includes sick leave and free testing. This doesn't go far enough.

1) Even if someone tests positive, what if they need treatment? Who pays for this? This is arguably the more costly part. There's a lot they could do in this area, like promise coronavirus healthcare services will be free for patients testing positive, open up the healthcare exchange for enrollment, open up Medicare as a public option on the exchange, pass Medicaid expansion for *all* states (like Florida, which previously blocked it) to cover the poor.

2) Even if someone has 'sick leave', there's going to be millions of people (especially in Orlando) sent home and/or laid off who are healthy and may not receive enough support. Unemployment benefits in Florida are very weak. People who are most at risk need additional assistance to ensure they won't lose their home, car, or worry about having food on their table.

The House* is ready to pass such a bill. The Senate decided to take some time off until Monday afternoon to get back to work.

The House* is ready to pass such a bill. The Senate decided to take some time off until Monday afternoon to get back to work.
And Trump just blocked states from using their medicaid programs to fight against the spread. Republicans are seeing dollar signs for the private medical industry, they have no interest in using public services to help us. Or, they won’t until it’s too late.

This is nuts! Knott’s and SFMM (which was inevitable), but now LAUSD and SDUSD (2 largest school districts in CA) closing. WTF!

I know this isn't nearly at the top of anyone's minds ATM, but how will the parks handle AP's that are paying for parks they can't visit? I assume they'll extend everyone's expiration dates for the time they're closed but wanted to confirm if anyone knows,

Reactions: RFRees
I know this isn't nearly at the top of anyone's minds ATM, but how will the parks handle AP's that are paying for parks they can't visit? I assume they'll extend everyone's expiration dates for the time they're closed but wanted to confirm if anyone knows,

Disneyland and WDW are extending passes based on how long they'll be closed. I assume something similar will be adopted by other parks.

As of now, the wife and I are still scheduled for Dockside's opening day on March 17 for one night. We've toyed with canceling but ultimately decided against it. With everything changing so quickly, we don't know if this will be the last chance to enjoy something outside of our place for a while. Since the hotel will be new, we know it'll be practically sterile and clean. We plan on limiting our interaction with people as much as possible as a precaution and don't plan to do anything outside of enjoying our room and enjoying the pool.

2 private schools here arent opening until the begining of April. Our public school system has said nothing. A friend of mine is driving in Georgia and said the Chic-fil-a is closed. Feel for our local small businesses. Some of the restaurants are offering really cheap deals like $3 burgers, tacos, ect..

I think anyone thinking the parks will open early April is kidding themselves. So far we're nearly tracking what's happening in Italy 1:1 with us 10 days behind them, and they just hit their highest daily deaths from the virus at 250 today. I'd say we'll be lucky to see parks open by May.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabnar and Clive
I think anyone thinking the parks will open early April is kidding themselves. So far we're nearly tracking what's happening in Italy 1:1 with us 10 days behind them, and they just hit their highest daily deaths from the virus at 250 today. I'd say we'll be lucky to see parks open by May.
Well, luckily, closing the parks (and other aspects of public life) now as opposed to down the road will help with this. We are for sure on Italy's track right now, but we also have the benefit of seeing how things progressed there, and we're taking measures where they didn't. I have zero idea when the parks will reopen and it could very well be May (or later) when this stuff gets back to normal, but I also know that these extra-cautious measures will help flatten the curve and hopefully (hopefully) get things back on track sooner rather than later.

Well, luckily, closing the parks (and other aspects of public life) now as opposed to down the road will help with this. We are for sure on Italy's track right now, but we also have the benefit of seeing how things progressed there, and we're taking measures where they didn't. I have zero idea when the parks will reopen and it could very well be May (or later) when this stuff gets back to normal, but I also know that these extra-cautious measures will help flatten the curve and hopefully (hopefully) get things back on track sooner rather than later.
Italy literally closed the country down and things aren't getting much better. Our response so far has been *worse*. Far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.