Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, while Anaheim seems to have an antagonistic relationship with DLR, Orlando and particularly Orange County have strong ties to WDW, UOR and I-Drive hotel maven Harris Rosen.That's a lot of local power-brokers to risk pissing off. I think the only chance is a statewide order from the Governor, but this is his first political gig, making him kind of hard to read.
Right. And California can be more divisive. A Florida governor will have to walk a much tighter rope. Especially with the fact the Corona virus has become completely political somehow. No one trusts the media. No one trusts their elected officials. It's just a mess and it makes me sad, even though much of it is justified.
If 9/11 happened yesterday I think we'd be blaming each other somehow.

Debating if I should go hit up Orlando again. I got back last week from a 3 day Universal trip. I wonder if it would be safe for me to put myself in that position.
For anyone who is in good health and somewhat young, this is not the apocalypse. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and take basic precautions.

For elderly and those with health conditions (which is a lot of people) including asthma/breathing problems, diabetes, etc, take more extreme precautions. If I were in that position I'd basically bunker down for the next few weeks.

The thing is, corporations and governments should be doing everything possible to keep the people safe, otherwise it's really bad press for them (as it has been). This could include remote learning, remote work, etc. Companies are doing fewer face to face interviews and more Skype or phone interviews, for example. Yes it's going to lose them a bit of productivity or money to take certain actions, but it could be much worse for them if they don't take extreme measures.

But I'm assuming you're not a corporation or a government, and if you're young and in good health, I'd say go have fun. Up to you though!

Personally, I'm not concerned about getting it for my own health. But I'm concerned that I could spread it without knowing, so I'm staying as clean as possible. I'm also concerned for my friends and family in service and retail who rely on people spending money in the Orlando area in order to pay their own rent or put food on the table.

Last edited:
For anyone who is in good health and somewhat young, this is not the apocalypse. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and take basic precautions.

For elderly and those with health conditions (which is a lot of people) including asthma/breathing problems, diabetes, etc, take more extreme precautions. If I were in that position I'd basically bunker down for the next few weeks.

The thing is, corporations and governments should be doing everything possible to keep the people safe, otherwise it's really bad press for them (as it has been). This could include remote learning, remote work, etc. Companies are doing fewer face to face interviews and more Skype or phone interviews, for example. Yes it's going to lose them a bit of productivity or money to take certain actions, but it could be much worse for them if they don't take extreme measures.

But I'm assuming you're not a corporation or a government, and if you're young and in good health, I'd say go have fun. Up to you though!

I'm waiting on some insane Disney hotel deals first. They're still super expensive, even with this whole pandemic going on. I know I shouldn't be thinking like hey, I should go on another staycation but hey, we only live once.

Reactions: RFRees
They had a UK press conf with the PM, Chief Science Officer and Chief Medical Officer. They estimate a peak around end of May/June. They think lots more people infected without knowing it.

We're coming over end of April. The thought of re-booking all the ADRs and Fastpasses is scaring me more than the virus at the moment...

I'm waiting on some insane Disney hotel deals first. They're still super expensive, even with this whole pandemic going on. I know I shouldn't be thinking like hey, I should go on another staycation but hey, we only live once.
Wolo!

Governor of Ohio right now basically repeating similar statements to what I'm saying now... '25 year old goes to a bar, that's up to them. But visiting their 85 year old grandmother after, not a smart thing to do' (paraphrasing).

It's now easier at the company I work for to count how many conferences and trade shows actually still scheduled to happen than cancelled. Had my April event just cancel that brings in 40-50k to downtown Houston

Reactions: SeventyOne
I felt it was necessary to finally address our readers with as much fact-based info we have at this time and provide a rational perspective surrounding the impact of the Universal Parks & Resorts.

In local news from Houston:
2:30 p.m. — Man announced as third presumptive positive case in Montgomery County

A man in his 40s residing in northwest Montgomery County has been identified as the third presumptive positive case of coronavirus in the county. Officials say he only traveled to Florida.

Emphasis mine. I'd be surprised if we don't see a statement from the parks in a couple of days. I'd be doubly surprised if we don't see a good number of cases acquired over spring break and exported all over the place :sick: We have 3 confirmed to have attended the same rodeo here in Houston which is a lot less crowded than the parks normally are.

Debating if I should go hit up Orlando again. I got back last week from a 3 day Universal trip. I wonder if it would be safe for me to put myself in that position.

Honestly...I wouldn’t.

For background purposes: 3 days spent at Disney end of February and I have some sort of amalgam mystery illness that I’m still recovering from-first it wasn’t strep, then it was, now it’s pneumonia symptoms-still self quarantining anyway. I’m 31 with no prior physical ailments.

While I haven’t been back to Universal since HHN, I don’t think it’s farfetched to say theme parks in general can be cesspools. If the parks are even still open, it’s super risky.

Disney and Universal not closing its parks will legitimately lead to people dying. Insanity
Yup. They’re choosing greed over what’s in the best interest of the people. Hopefully they get a lot of pushback and are sort of shamed into closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.