Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 175 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the answer to restaurants,
Disney, universal? pay attention!

2YCKBkY.jpg
Its the Cone of Silence!!!!

Chapek has said as much publicly, but my own internal lines are emphasizing that short of catastrophe, Mulan is sticking to its date.
It'll be so interesting to see what Tenet's screen count is on opening weekend if it sticks to July 17th. With no other movies in theaters, they can literally put the movie on every screen if they need to for distancing.

I fully expect it to break the record for most screens due to that.

It'll be so interesting to see what Tenet's screen count is on opening weekend if it sticks to July 17th. With no other movies in theaters, they can literally put the movie on every screen if they need to for distancing.

I fully expect it to break the record for most screens due to that.

I think that's exactly what will happen - it plays on basically every screen available, with Mulan eating up two thirds of them in Week 2.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
Local hotels were at 78% occupancy weekend prior to memorial day (85% in 2019). Small dip but overall not bad. I'm guessing that memorial day numbers will be close to 2019 numbers when they are released.

You got a source on that or ... ? I’m struggling to balance that against what places like the airport and STR are reporting.

20200529_FreitagsApril_Chart1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Scott W.
Local university has a dedicated resort/accommodations department and does a pretty good sampling of local hotels/hotels/resorts/campgrounds then compiles it. Reviewed academic statistical study, not an unofficial poll or anything. (link below) You can also go back and looks at previous reports, huge dip in March/April, then a huge surge first of May that is continuing longer than I think anyone expected.

That coupled with my personal short term vacation rental properties which is only lagging a little from 2019 numbers. Big shift I've seen in our demographics is more local folks, 2-6 hour drive, less fly in's than last year. Cant speak for the big guys as they obviously don't release guest information. But un-scientifically i do see more in-state and neighbor-state plates on the road than usual for this time of year. I really think people are going to still vacation like usual, just maybe a little more local than they had originally planned.

Double post - payments have once again been furloughed until August. Yikes. Could USH be closed the entire summer?

That's fair.... the RevPAR hit is -30% so that would align with it being in the vicinity of 2001 and 2008.

Enjoy being a rare bright spot :clap:
I'm thankful every day. I hope everyone else that depends on tourism dollars sees a return to close to normal soon. It's currently a really scary time to depend on tourist for financial security. Even in the 2008 melt down things didn't come to a screeching halt like this

I urge everyone to go spend some vacation money, even if it's local. That little ice cream shop on the corner may be hurting worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.