Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 195 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal and Disney, and probably SeaWorld, are far too big to fail completely. Governments, local and federal, will not *allow* them to fail completely. The sick joke about this country is once you're big enough people are gonna do anything they possibly can to make sure you survive.

That being said, the ripple effect between now and a vaccine can still be devastating for Orlando at large. If the US continues to falter in containing the spread, especially in Florida, and other countries continue to impose travel bans on the US, many places around the parks will almost certainly close, which will increase the unemployment issue.
Ya, the ripple effect in Orlando outside the parks is my biggest worry. Makes me quite sad tbh.

Universal and Disney, and probably SeaWorld, are far too big to fail completely. Governments, local and federal, will not *allow* them to fail completely. The sick joke about this country is once you're big enough people are gonna do anything they possibly can to make sure you survive.

That being said, the ripple effect between now and a vaccine can still be devastating for Orlando at large. If the US continues to falter in containing the spread, especially in Florida, and other countries continue to impose travel bans on the US, many places around the parks will almost certainly close, which will increase the unemployment issue.

If any parks are going to close or atomize it's going to be Six Flags and Cedar Fair holdings. They're fairly large, but spread out and managed pretty poorly. Large centralized tourist locations like Orlando, parts of CA, etc, are going to emerge from this changed but alive; regional parks I suspect will not be so lucky.

If any parks are going to close or atomize it's going to be Six Flags and Cedar Fair holdings. They're fairly large, but spread out and managed pretty poorly. Large centralized tourist locations like Orlando, parts of CA, etc, are going to emerge from this changed but alive; regional parks I suspect will not be so lucky.
I can definitely see some of the smaller SF and CF parks biting the dust.

Reactions: Clive
On a totally selfish note, NOT that people were hinting these were going away "soon", ever, I want to make that clear, but if this extends the lives of rides like Mummy/MIB for even just a couple more years ill selfishly be very happy. I don't see many changes coming to any Orlando parks soon. With Bourne added USF is in decent shape now, not great but better with just that addition. The parks are in a decent place right now across the board and projects that have started obviously will not stop, just be delayed. So anything past what we already know/see are the remaining mysteries that we likely won't get answers to for some time. While I love that Universal is always willing to invest, as someone who doesn't always love change I don't expect many changes for awhile.

I remember working at Universal through 9/11 and it was mostly higher positions that were laid off then too. In addition to cutting positions that aren’t necessary right now, for positions that are the people below them can be promoted at a lower pay rate since they’re just starting in the position. Not saying that’s what’s happening now, but it’s definitely what happened around the resort after tourism dipped from 9/11.

Huh, I had always thought you were in your late 20s.

My god. This could very well be the end of Orlando theme parks.

The parks won't ever die. There's too much investment and people are always looking for an escape plus too many fond memories that people will always want to pass down to the younger generations.

I don't even know what the analogy would be. Orlando is in a coma?

Huh, I had always thought you were in your late 20s.

The parks won't ever die. There's too much investment and people are always looking for an escape plus too many fond memories that people will always want to pass down to the younger generations.

I don't even know what the analogy would be. Orlando is in a coma?
Id say Orlando is hibernating until Covid is "over", whatever that means exactly.

And international. You basically have half a park that needs to be staffed now that J-1s are gone.

Edit to add, technically those are college program too, but it’s easier to envision the impact.

Speaking of, I heard one EPCOT country looking to hire 50 - 60 (local) culinary workers because they don't see the international program starting until at least late 2021.

Moving into speculation here, but I don't know that the benefits of cultural representation will be enough to make Disney et al change course after a year and a half of not using international guests as CMs. I fear the days of cultural ambassadors in World Showcase may be done.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I’m still being optimistic that a vaccine will be available by the end of the year.

If it and is widely available, 2021 in Orlando is going to be slammed.

Reactions: Frogki
We're looking at a rough economy and people trying to get their footing back. It'll be weak for a bit but there will be a brighter trajectory.
Correct. Considering how bungled things are in the US right now, I don't see the economy being good enough for Orlando to get back to peak visitations for a good few years.

Orange County commissioners yesterday said they don't expect hotel tax revenue to recover until somewhere between FY22-25

We're looking at a rough economy and people trying to get their footing back. It'll be weak for a bit but there will be a brighter trajectory.

It would still be better than this year. They would actually be able to provide special events to draw people in. There would actually be the ability to grow again.

But if it’s next summer and we still don’t have an effective vaccine you can kiss our country goodbye.

Last edited:
It would still be better than this year. They would actually be able to provide special events to draw people in. There would actually be the ability to grow again.

But if it’s next summer and we still don’t have an effective vaccine you can kiss our country goodbye.

Saying the same thing over and over isn't helping this discussion at all. Speaking outside the forum admin role, you need to take a break from COVID talk.

On a totally selfish note, NOT that people were hinting these were going away "soon", ever, I want to make that clear, but if this extends the lives of rides like Mummy/MIB for even just a couple more years ill selfishly be very happy. I don't see many changes coming to any Orlando parks soon. With Bourne added USF is in decent shape now, not great but better with just that addition. The parks are in a decent place right now across the board and projects that have started obviously will not stop, just be delayed. So anything past what we already know/see are the remaining mysteries that we likely won't get answers to for some time. While I love that Universal is always willing to invest, as someone who doesn't always love change I don't expect many changes for awhile.

I just wanted to add some perspective. I know you mean well - but this next year is going to be rough for a lot of people in Orlando, where people's livelihoods are going to be impacted. There are going to be some people who read this who may not appreciate this viewpoint, especially after yesterday's layoffs.

How'd they beat out Houston? That takes some dedication, we're seemingly doing everything we can to **** this up here lol

Population size + better testing...

Lot of epidemiologists in my feed begging the media to stop focusing on case counts... headlines like this disincentivize politicians from increasing testing capacity, when the truly important data points (percentage positive cases, hospitalizations) go buried...

I’m still being optimistic that a vaccine will be available by the end of the year.

If it and is widely available, 2021 in Orlando is going to be slammed.
This is going to impact people way worse than 9/11 did economically. There is no immediate bounce back, even once there's a vaccine. With 9/11, it mostly just scared people off for a bit, but there wasn't a long-term economic impact for the most part. We bounced back relatively quick because people got over it. This is so much different because it's actually hitting the people HARD.

Also, I don't expect a vaccine to be widely available for quite some time, even once it's ready and working.

Status
Not open for further replies.