Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The reason I find this relevant and interesting is that most rental car companies have 75% - 90% of their cars out for rental at any one time and with nobody travelling and renting cars, they have to go some where.

I wonder if the parks would offer their car parks.

The conspiracy theorist in me says this would be a great way for a rental car company to get paid to upgrade their fleet. They are shut down, so it's dead inventory for a while. Insurance pays for all of the junked cars, and the manufacturers are all shut down and would make sweet deals to replace the fleet just to move some product and get sales on the balance sheets.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Cultural program getting sent back home this month, interns for June cancelled, and more details:

I’m surprised Disney is cancelling their professional internships.

For one thing, it really sucks for the students.
For Disney (and really any big company), internships are a huge pipeline for their entry-level jobs. When Disney starts hiring again, it’s going to take a lot more effort to get their white-collar hiring pipeline up-and-running

Reactions: SeventyOne
I’m surprised Disney is cancelling their professional internships.

For one thing, it really sucks for the students.
For Disney (and really any big company), internships are a huge pipeline for their entry-level jobs. When Disney starts hiring again, it’s going to take a lot more effort to get their white-collar hiring pipeline up-and-running

I applied to internships for Disney under Searchlight and FX, so this disappoints me. However, me and many of my friends have had internships we applied to or in some cases got accepted for cancelled; the vast majority of summer internships aren't feasible this year. All of my professional plans this year have been derailed because of the pandemic, and as a rising senior in undergrad, I am missing out on the prime year for internships at my level. Students are beyond screwed right now.

I applied to internships for Disney under Searchlight and FX, so this disappoints me. However, me and many of my friends have had internships we applied to or in some cases got accepted for cancelled; the vast majority of summer internships aren't feasible this year. All of my professional plans this year have been derailed because of the pandemic, and as a rising senior in undergrad, I am missing out on the prime year for internships at my level. Students are beyond screwed right now.
When full time recruiting comes in the fall, there’s no way that companies aren’t going to be aware of everything. I suspect that they’ll be a lot more lenient about resume expectations.

Really sorry to hear about what you’re going through!

When full time recruiting comes in the fall, there’s no way that companies aren’t going to be aware of everything. I suspect that they’ll be a lot more lenient about resume expectations.

Really sorry to hear about what you’re going through!
Yeah, this is the one thing that gives me solace. I'm also anticipating grad school pools to be less competitive, which may not even matter if I can't afford it :faint:

The conspiracy theorist in me says this would be a great way for a rental car company to get paid to upgrade their fleet. They are shut down, so it's dead inventory for a while. Insurance pays for all of the junked cars, and the manufacturers are all shut down and would make sweet deals to replace the fleet just to move some product and get sales on the balance sheets.
I had the same thought when I first saw the headline - I’ve seen where grass lot car fires take out 25-50 cars, but *3,500* next to an airport that should have a robust fire response unit? Get out.

Reactions: fryoj and youhow2
Unsurprising, but it's from the boss (Idk exactly what Iger does now, but he's definitely still the one out in front of the media instead of Chapek):

"One of the things that we’re discussing already is that in order to return to some semblance of normal, people will have to feel comfortable that they’re safe. Some of that could come in the form ultimately of a vaccine, but in the absence of that it could come from basically, more scrutiny, more restrictions. Just as we now do bag checks for everybody that goes into our parks, it could be that at some point we add a component of that that takes people’s temperatures, as a for-instance.

We’re studying very carefully what China has been trying to do in terms of their return to normalcy. And one of the things that’s obvious is they’ve conscripted a large segment of their population to monitor others in terms of their health. You can’t get on a bus or a subway or a train or enter a high-rise building there—and I’m sure this will be the case when their schools reopen—without having your temperature taken.

So we’ve asked ourselves the question, let’s prepare for a world where our customers demand that we scrutinize everybody. Even if it creates a little bit of hardship, like it takes a little bit longer for people to get in. Just as the case after 9/11 where people ultimately lived with the notion that in order for them to enter a building, if you’re in an office building you have to show a picture ID or get your picture taken and be screened. Or in order to enter a park you have to put your bags out there to be checked and you go through some kind of metal detector. Or certainly what’s going on in airports with the TSA". -
Bob Iger

^ We need to keep reminding ourselves that checking temperatures solves nothing when it is known that there are many who are asymptomatic... What is more, many have a temperature for just a few days and still test positive for weeks afterward.

Checking temps would not calm me in the least.

It will have to be the Abbott Labs ID Now or perhaps something faster that may come along in the next 60-90 days for each and every guest.

^ We need to keep reminding ourselves that checking temperatures solves nothing when it is known that there are many who are asymptomatic... What is more, many have a temperature for just a few days and still test positive for weeks afterward.

Checking temps would not calm me in the least.
I mean, they can't administer COVID tests to everyone entering the park so this is pretty much all they can do to sniff anyone out. Have you ever felt comfortable by the security theater they put on? Especially when there is absolutely ZERO security that CMs have to go through on the back end?

I mean, they can't administer COVID tests to everyone entering the park so this is pretty much all they can do to sniff anyone out. Have you ever felt comfortable by the security theater they put on? Especially when there is absolutely ZERO security that CMs have to go through on the back end?

There are many scenarios that might work short term. First open only to resort hotel guests and test them there before they go to the parks the next day or make an arrangement with labs around the country for resort guests to get tested before arrival.

Reactions: devinp267
There are many scenarios that might work short term. First open only to resort hotel guests and test them there before they go to the parks the next day or make an arrangement with labs around the country for resort guests to get tested before arrival.
Resort guests make up a minority of the amount of guests that are normally in attendance each day. And that's not even accounting for cast. They aren't getting tested either.

Perhaps they would tighten phased closing guidelines for a while

i.e. severely limit the amount of guests that are allowed in the parks on a given day

It could sell out just like old school HHN

Status
Not open for further replies.