Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this becomes the norm for flights to highly traveled places like Orlando, I have to wonder how long it will be for WDW and UOR to close.

That tweet has been widely circulated and I'm not saying flights are now less than full or that he's lying, but it would've been more convincing if he filmed it after doors have closed. He was one of the first few to board and who knows how many there are behind him. The fact that media ran with this is not helping and is actually contributing to increased fear and panic.

That tweet has been widely circulated and I'm not saying flights are now less than full or that he's lying, but it would've been more convincing if he filmed it after doors have closed. He was one of the first few to board and who knows how many there are behind him. The fact that media ran with this is not helping and is actually contributing to increased fear and panic.
True. I’m not putting any stock in this being the norm yet, but if we start seeing more stuff like this, that’s when it gets a bit more worrying.

So today at Epcot, a couple of CMs told us they were instructed by management that they were not allowed to take photos using the guests' cameras or phones. A couple of CMs have replied to my tweet saying this isn't true, so it may be possible that certain CMs are being extra cautious and using that excuse as a way out. It's also very possible that it may not be a company-wide thing, but a localized mandate. Either way, interesting turn if true.
That’s not a bad idea at all and I don’t blame the cast members one bit during this.
And a cast member getting sick is much worse PR than a guest who could have gotten it anywhere; plane, airport, etc.

Ridiculous. As if the cold has anything to do with it
Note: the “cold weather” thing is actually the lack of humidity. When you’re outside in cold weather, relative humidity levels are fine. When you heat the air inside, the relative humidity levels absolutely tank. Humidity helps the virus particles drop from the air, so more humidity is a good thing.
Buy recirculated lord knows what cruise air? No thanks.

I thought the exact same thing. All those media idiots asking to use his video on that twitter feed on something that could have been from a guy in boarding group 1.
If you’re in the air, I’ll believe it.

So I know someone that almost definitely had the virus transmitted to them locally before the first person was ever official east coast us. So many people have had this already that my only hope is the percentage of deaths does not reflect the confirmed infection rate. We are screwed. I do not at all think this is an exaggeration. The supply chain and service economy is just not equipped to deal with even minor disruption across multiple markets.

Regarding travel update: 26 countries, not all of Europe, are on the ban list. Only foreign nationals are banned from entering the country; US citizens can still travel to Europe and fly back.

This whole thing is unprecedented and we are witnessing history. It's something we'll be able to tell our grandkids about.

In more travel news; Amtrak is asking employees to take non-paid voluntary leave to help weather the storm. I don't think Amtrak makes it out of this.

Reactions: youhow2
I am surprised the UK is excluded from the travel ban.
:$:

My .02 cent opinion: They aren't gonna ban their biggest business partner unless absolutely necessary.

It's amusing that Eurostar will still be running. At least for now...

Northern California has basically canceled everything. A lot of huge local events (including one of the biggest St. Paddy’s festivals in the country) aren’t happening now. This is actually going to have massive economic consequences throughout the country.

I am surprised the UK is excluded from the travel ban.

The UK and the Republic of Ireland. The cynics would say where Trump has golf resorts. The less cynical is obviously these are outside the passport free travel zone which also includes: Albania, Andora, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, and Vatican City.

The last one is of particular interest...

Reactions: Andysol
Im no trying to get overly political here but the lack of response from the President is insanely alarming. The travel ban is the tiniest bit of a start in this game of catch up we are now playing. Just a few days ago we were just where Italy was, 600 confirmed cases and no testing. Seattle found more cases after going against the Federal Governments wishes and began testing more and found more cases. Essentially, the President is only trying to ignore/ease the public so the markets don't crash as the economy is all he really has going for his campaign/re-election, so he's just trying to ease the markets and its literally going to cause mass deaths across the country.

If you aren't taking this seriously now, start taking it seriously. Don't need to be the tough guy downplaying this. Take care of yourself, social distance, and lets see how/when this will blow over. This is all very not normal.

Last edited:

This could be it for Disneyland.

Disney still runs Anaheim and they have their own city in Florida.

They’re going to keep WDW and DL and Paris open as long as they’re making money. Even with bad optics, they won’t care until the bad optics lead to unprofitable crowd levels.

Hong Kong was an easy decision because it wasn’t making money anyway. Shanghai, on the other hand, opened partially a few days ago; the exact day that the president was touring Wuhan. That, absolutely, was likely a push from 51% owner China for optics reasons.

Now, France or California could pass legislation to shut those respective parks down. Florida likely won’t. I’d guess it would need to be a national policy to get WDW to shutter it’s doors (again, unless the lack of people made being open unprofitable).

Im no trying to get overly political here
Then don’t.

There is a lot of blame to go around and it’s an impossible situation to be in. But snap judgements during a crisis aren’t beneficial. Wait a few years, look back, and then see if whatever move whoever made was good or not. It’s literally impossible to do in the moment. One perfect example that happened in our last crisis- The Patriot Act: every congressman but one voted yes. At the time everyone thought it was great. History shows us differently. I’ll always admire Russ Feingold for this very reason.

Can we give it one day prior to making decrees of success or failure? Just one? Politics has absolutely no place on this forum. There are hundreds of forums and discussion boards to go sound off. To have one day on a theme park forum and not read the name “Trump” would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.