Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 198 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think theme parks /=/ movie theaters and are fundamentally safer, but I see your point.
Well anything outdoors is safer, but there's a lot of indoors stuff at theme parks as well. Like virtually every ride. I'm not overly worried as Universal has handled it about as well as you can and the residents need to get paid, I just wish the government would do something so people didn't have to rely on these parks opening back up to get by. Shanghai, Hong Kong, Japan and Paris I can all agree with reopening based on the numbers. But Orlando and Hollywood/Anaheim are telling completely different stories.

Reactions: Frogki
How long should openings be delayed? If we delay things til August, cases will most likely be higher than they are now. What about September? Higher still! Maybe October? Even worse! November? Really bad! December? Nuclear Winter!

Cases are going to keep climbing higher and higher until herd immunity is reached.

How long should openings be delayed? If we delay things til August, cases will most likely be higher than they are now. What about September? Higher still! Maybe October? Even worse! November? Really bad! December? Nuclear Winter!

Cases are going to keep climbing higher and higher until herd immunity is reached.
The thing is it doesn't have to be that way. People are allowing it to by not wearing masks.

Write your representatives, U.S. people. This does not need to be as bad as the government is making it. Flat out. This is a conscious choice to put large corporations over the well-being of the population.
I think a lot of the procedures that came about after 9/11 would have been implemented at some stage when it comes to the parks. I don't really mind the security checks as useless as they appear to be, the way I see it is that I'm going to be queuing regardless, it doesn't matter if it's a 10min wait at security and then a 10min wait at the gate or 20mins in total. The room security checks were implemented way after 9/11 as well.

I don't mind the temperature checks or the social distancing. At times, you do feel like cattle in the parks and getting a little breathing space is nice. The only thing I hope is removed is mandatory mask wearing.
9/11 is what people remember, but the actual economic problem was the dot-com bubble burst. The bottom of the market didn't come until late 2002/early 2003.

Nasdaq lost about 65% of its value from March 2000-March 2001.

That makes me somewhat hopeful for next year/post-vaccine/etc. ... if people reduce spending in the short term and WEAR A DAMN MASK we can get through this with as little damage to market fundamentals as possible. Dragging the timeframe longer because people don't WEAR THEIR DAMN MASK pushes us closer to worse fundamental damage.

about the post 9/11 stuff, if theres one thing that seriously needs to happen is that we cant rely so heavily in china for our products (like medicine) we seriously need to do something about our medicine production.

and companies like Apple and Nike need to stop relying on what constitutes as sweatshop slave labor (this has been ignored for too long).... if theres anything that needs to come out post covid is economic decoupling and economic distancing.. it has gotten to dangerous levels. we need to move production somewhere else.

i think south korea was able to open a lot of stuff with minimal risk because they heavily use masks. or something like that?

massive mask wearing would drastically reduce risk, if everybody wore masks and plastic shields, you could open everything.

but as far as mask wearing, i actually asked a lady at walmart "why no mask?" then she politely explained that it made her feel embarrassed and that she felt nervous from people looking at her and that it was uncomfortable and annoying , that it felt weird, then she left.

i kinda understood what she meant, because when i wear my respirator in public, sometimes i get 3 different reactions,
1) people laugh, take pictures, mock me (saying it isnt halloween yet) .\
2) people are super freaked out and avoid me or walk away, thinking i am sick or something, i have had some legit fearful reactions,
3) some people get mad or give me a dirty look, like, legit Angry looks, "angry eyebrows expression",

this doesnt always happen, it isnt everybody obviously, but i can see how cultural pressures makes the walmart lady feel anxious,
we have a society that refuses to wear masks for different reasons while also shames mask wearing,

how do we even fix that? any time i tell people on social media to wear masks i get replies from skeptics saying "masks only prevent spread, they dont prevent infection! your mask is useless"
:bigeye:

Last edited:
I doubt Movie Theaters will open until Mid/late August.
New York and CA seem to not want new things to open yet and since they have the most theaters just makes sense to push back openings.

Also bet any films in August get pushed back again

Reactions: Lucky Planet
New York and CA seem to not want new things to open yet and since they have the most theaters just makes sense to push back openings.

I agree with this. If the LA, NYC and San Fran markets aren’t open for business, the movie theaters are not opening.

Reactions: SeventyOne

i think that movie theaters right now seem as the scariest establishments to visit, out of everything else (entertainment wise),
being in a dark cold room with a dozen strangers while breathing the same air while people eat pop corn or laugh out loud.... i dont know

Reactions: Grabnar
I have just been emailed from TUI advising holiday cancelled for the 27th September, not a massive surprise with currently developments

Our of interest, did they say why? Our Glasgow flights were cancelled for 17th September with Virgin who said its due to current CDC and WHO guidance. It wasn't a surprise and think it's the right thing, but curious what advice they've been given that the public don't have. Gutting, would have been my 5th straight HHN but it's certainly not worth it.

Our of interest, did they say why? Our Glasgow flights were cancelled for 17th September with Virgin who said its due to current CDC and WHO guidance. It wasn't a surprise and think it's the right thing, but curious what advice they've been given that the public don't have. Gutting, would have been my 5th straight HHN but it's certainly not worth it.

They have advised

Hello,
We hope that you and those you care about are keeping well during these uncertain times.

We appreciate that you may have been feeling unsure about your booking in light of COVID-19. Sadly, as a result of the current situation, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel your holiday to Florida. First of all, we’d like to apologise – we know how disappointing this must be.

A trip to Florida is often a once-in-a-lifetime holiday, planned around a visit to the various theme parks, including Walt Disney World.

You may have seen the recent changes that all attractions are having to implement to ensure the safety of their guests including the compulsory wearing of face masks. The changes at Walt Disney World are extensive and include modified parades and character meet and greets as well as the removal of Disney Dining plan and cancellation of Fast Pass+ selections.

We’ve been working hard to see how we could offer you the magical holiday that you originally booked. At this time, we don’t know when we will be able to resume our flying programme to Florida. And taking the changes we’ve mentioned into consideration we’ve concluded that your holiday would fall short of the special experience you’d been looking forward to.

We understand that not everybody travels to Florida to visit Walt Disney World, but as the majority of our Florida bookings are affected it was a decision we have had to make.

They have advised

Hello,
We hope that you and those you care about are keeping well during these uncertain times.

We appreciate that you may have been feeling unsure about your booking in light of COVID-19. Sadly, as a result of the current situation, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel your holiday to Florida. First of all, we’d like to apologise – we know how disappointing this must be.

A trip to Florida is often a once-in-a-lifetime holiday, planned around a visit to the various theme parks, including Walt Disney World.

You may have seen the recent changes that all attractions are having to implement to ensure the safety of their guests including the compulsory wearing of face masks. The changes at Walt Disney World are extensive and include modified parades and character meet and greets as well as the removal of Disney Dining plan and cancellation of Fast Pass+ selections.

We’ve been working hard to see how we could offer you the magical holiday that you originally booked. At this time, we don’t know when we will be able to resume our flying programme to Florida. And taking the changes we’ve mentioned into consideration we’ve concluded that your holiday would fall short of the special experience you’d been looking forward to.

We understand that not everybody travels to Florida to visit Walt Disney World, but as the majority of our Florida bookings are affected it was a decision we have had to make.

Crikey, almost singling out WDW ops for its decision there.

They have advised

Hello,

Ok, the last sentence needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.