Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the lockers situation still a mess? I know last time I went a year ago you had to wait in line just for the lockers....then the regular line, the metal detectors, they wouldn't let you re-ride...that really put me off of the ride and want to see it go.
Universal keeps changing their strategy with the lockers. At first, it was a free for all, which make the locker room a hot, crowded mess. Then they designated an entrance and exit pathway. For a while they only let one member of a party go into the room, which got a lot of backlash. Now, depending on the crowds, it's more or less controlled chaos. There simply aren't enough lockers or space. It wasn't designed for EVERY rider to use a locker.

The metal detectors now have a themed tent over them.

The re-ride line has been open sporadically. I have NO clue why they have closed the re-ride line so much. The attendant who sent me back down the stairs couldn't give a reason why despite my persistence.

What on earth happened here yesterday? (I was in BGT, so did not check in the forums at all.)
I am just glad that DC is still (seemingly) somewhat save for now.

I definitely would like to see this be brought into the immersion factor the rest of the land has. A Great Hall restaurant would be almost a dream come true but I agree with others - some things need suspension of disbelief, however, it cannot be blatantly obvious that the Great Hall is to the left of and at ground level compared to the facade.

Looking at the area on Google Streetview, I forgot how visible the showbuilding is:

View attachment 3532 View attachment 3533

Which is actually one reason why I felt that a coaster added to JP should not be tall. It would totally exposure the show building for FJ. Dragons' lift hill goes away from the building but you can still see the roads next door, homes, etc. A low-to-earth ride would eliminate that.

Which is actually one reason why I felt that a coaster added to JP should not be tall. It would totally exposure the show building for FJ. Dragons' lift hill goes away from the building but you can still see the roads next door, homes, etc. A low-to-earth ride would eliminate that.
I'd like an indoor ride, better environment for animatronics to "live" in and maintain. Plus the whole yadda-yadda IOA outdoor rides argument.

Last edited:

My favorite coaster is Maverick at Cedar Point and Kings Island is adding a family coaster that's drop is 109' (corrected). It can be done and is being done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JPRA513 and SkiBum
Not to stray off topic too far, but Mystic Timbers (the new Kings Island coaster) is actually 109' tall. The top speed is 53 mph which is where I assume the 53 number came from. Your point still stands though, as that's not overly tall. A ride doesn't need to be tall to be great

Kings Island is my home park so I thought I'd just chime in with that... anyway back to Dragon Challenge.

Not to stray off topic too far, but Mystic Timbers (the new Kings Island coaster) is actually 109' tall. The top speed is 53 mph which is where I assume the 53 number came from. Your point still stands though, as that's not overly tall. A ride doesn't need to be tall to be great

Kings Island is my home park so I thought I'd just chime in with that... anyway back to Dragon Challenge.

I thought that it was taller than 53' but hadn't had the time to look it up. It's my home park as well. What IS in that shed? Dropping in this spring.

Reactions: JPRA513
My favorite coaster is Maverick at Cedar Point and Kings Island is adding a family coaster that's drop is 53'. It can be done and is being done.

One thing for Mystic Timbers is that, outside of the first drop and maybe the first turn after the drop, the rest of the coaster doesn't really appear to go very high. Maverick is great at hugging the Earth, although the back half snaps my neck a little unpleasantly. Taron, as mentioned a few pages ago, is a great example of a launch ride with great theming that doesn't climb high into the sky.

Thanks corrected. Getting all my numbers mixed up.

Reactions: JPRA513
JP doesn't have that much space for a well themed low to ground "thrill" Coaster. However, a family coaster could work, and is definitely needed.

And for those thinking about "thrill with minimal theme" Coasters like rockit, hulk, and dragons are still on the table for universal, think again. Rock it was only added as a filler to somewhat increase park attendance during the recession, and Hulk and dragons were added back when uni thought it was a good idea and to separate themselves from the mouse.

P.S. I don't think we will ever see a B&M again at Universal, after the disappointment of the hulk upgrade.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
P.S. I don't think we will ever see a B&M again at Universal, after the disappointment of the hulk upgrade.

I don't want to de-rail this thread, but why do you see the hulk refurb as a disappointment? The layout was probably impossible to change, if that's what you wanted. We got a much better queue and launch tunnel, plus a smoother ride with upgraded cars. Don't forget the very well done locker system.

The only bad thing about the refurb is that they tore out the grass in the back and made the area look like a desert with a bunch of gravel. It looks cheap. Whatever.

I'm just glad they didn't remove it.

JP doesn't have that much space for a well themed low to ground "thrill" Coaster. However, a family coaster could work, and is definitely needed.

And for those thinking about "thrill with minimal theme" Coasters like rockit, hulk, and dragons are still on the table for universal, think again. Rock it was only added as a filler to somewhat increase park attendance during the recession, and Hulk and dragons were added back when uni thought it was a good idea and to separate themselves from the mouse.

It has plenty of space but my concern about a low to the ground coaster is just how flat the whole area is. Coasters that are low to the ground and use the terrain well are great but on a flat area, it could feel like a carnival ride.

I think given the choice between a coaster in JP or HP, I'd take one at HP as I think they can utilise the area better.

I don't want to de-rail this thread, but why do you see the hulk refurb as a disappointment? The layout was probably impossible to change, if that's what you wanted. We got a much better queue and launch tunnel, plus a smoother ride with upgraded cars. Don't forget the very well done locker system.

The only bad thing about the refurb is that they tore out the grass in the back and made the area look like a desert with a bunch of gravel. It looks cheap. Whatever.

I'm just glad they didn't remove it.

They did everything but move the footers, so a new layout could have been done easily enough. The first half of the coaster is fine but the back could have been improved. I don't think it's any smoother, if anything, I found it rougher than before. I couldn't hear the audio at all, the launch tunnel looks pretty but it's kind of dull, the queue is incredibly generic and boring with virtually nothing happening until about 2mins before you board.

Status
Not open for further replies.