Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If they would just come up with a use for the theater in front of toon lagoon that would be great! I feel like I havent seen a show in there for at least 12 years

I'd rather they save SpongeBob, TMNT, Dora and Avatar/Korra for a 3rd gate. No sense in adding SpongeBob to TL theater if the rest of the island won't be Bikini Bottom or Nickelodeon-themed.

Toon Lagoon just needs the theater/carnival games area to be replaced (ideally a show and a dark ride, but I'd settle for a high quality one of either) and for Dudley to get a massive refurb/upgrade.

Universal is not making any money off the Kings Features area so I still think it will go. They now own Dudley so a refurb is a bit more likely now.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago, there was a lot of speculation about Toon Lagoon on here and it seemed it was doomed. Not so sure now, but if they were to drop TL I'd prefer they do it after opening Nintendo.

I remember a few years ago, there was a lot of speculation about Toon Lagoon on here and it seemed it was doomed. Not so sure now, but if they were to drop TL I'd prefer they do it after opening Nintendo.

The big speculation was based in part on the contact with Kings Features expiring in 2018. Can't imagine them renewing it unless it is a short term extension.

Personal thoughts, the more I think of it, SpongeBob would be great for TL.

Have Popeye returned to SpongeBob trying to catch Jellyfish and things go wrong with Guests being in the middle of it. Then have Ripsaw removed to accommodate a large family dark ride (trackless) where Plankton wants to take over Bikini Bottom as guests help SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy take back Bikini Bottom.

Plus the meet and greets, Krusty Krab, Chum Bucket, and shops. And in-turn, saving the TL Ampatheater for expansion of either Bikini Bottom or MSHI.

Personal thoughts, the more I think of it, SpongeBob would be great for TL.

Have Popeye returned to SpongeBob trying to catch Jellyfish and things go wrong with Guests being in the middle of it. Then have Ripsaw removed to accommodate a large family dark ride (trackless) where Plankton wants to take over Bikini Bottom as guests help SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy take back Bikini Bottom.

Plus the meet and greets, Krusty Krab, Chum Bucket, and shops. And in-turn, saving the TL Ampatheater for expansion of either Bikini Bottom or MSHI.

I think that sounds pretty great but I think I'd rather see it in the 3rd gate simply because I haven't seen a good idea for a water ride in it.

The Jay Ward stuff (Dudley) is part of the Dreamworks purchase I believe.

Yes. The only thing licensed by King Features is Popeye.

Universal City Studios LLC, a subsidiary of USC, has a license agreement with King Features Syndicate, a division of The Hearst Corporation, pursuant to which we obtain the right to use certain characters, such as Popeye®, Bluto™ and Olive Oyl™. We have a license to use the King Features elements for our theme park attractions, advertising, publicity and marketing, subject to reasonable approval rights of King Features, until 2019, with options to renew in ten-year successive increments so long as we continue to operate a Popeye® themed attraction. The license is assignable and Universal City Studios LLC has theme park exclusivity within the United States and Canada with respect to the use of the characters and a non-exclusive right to manufacture and sell related merchandise. King Features receives an annual fee and a guaranteed annual royalty fee for all merchandise themed with King Features characters.

The following is a brief description of the material terms of the WB Agreement, which UCDP licenses directly from Warner Bros. Consumer Products, Inc.:

Form 10-K

Last edited:
I did some reading on Wikipedia and it says that the merchandising rights to Betty Boop are also held by King Features Syndicate.

Wikipedia is not right. The court case that happened in 2011 stated that King and Fleischer don't own boop and most likely Harvey comics owned by DreamWorks Animation or which is now under Universal or Paramount/Viacom.
Who owns Betty Boop?

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Yeah, bottom line is a lot of what's in Toon right now will belong to Universal once the Dreamworks acquisition is completed, probably later this year. These things always take a little time, due diligence, govt. regulators etc.

What if the TL theater was added on as an extension of MSHI and a super hero show was put into the the theater using some of the other properties covered under the Marvel contract that aren't fully represented (i.e. IronMan, Thor, Magneto, Hobgoblin, etc.)?

What if the TL theater was added on as an extension of MSHI and a super hero show was put into the the theater using some of the other properties covered under the Marvel contract that aren't fully represented (i.e. IronMan, Thor, Magneto, Hobgoblin, etc.)?

I'd think that it'd be a waste of space if they did that.

I actually really like that SpongeBob idea. The show is getting a third movie and let's face it, will never end (it's practically the kid version of the Simpsons), and I can guarantee that a real life Krusty Krab would make a ton of money. I'd even be okay with Dudley leaving, as I've never been a fan of that ride.

I think the best place for Bikini Bottom would have been KZ, but there's no chance for that now...unless Nintendo was saved for the third park, but I don't think anyone would want to wait that long.

If Sponge Bob ended up in IOA I would guess it would be the theater.