Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But that was my original point. It seems to me that Universal isn’t interested in making rides for properties they don’t own that already have rides elsewhere. How to Train Your Dragon and other DreamWorks properties being the exception since they own the IPs now.

Makes sense and breaks my heart at the same time. I guess when it comes to international parks, there is something to be said about picking something that no one else has so you can for sure port it over everywhere if it is a success.

I also concur. Spongebob and Scooby Doo would have fit in nicely somewhere and deserved a little more love from Universal. However, I think their ships have sailed and they will focus on current and future IP's that Universal controls moving forward.

I do think current and future IPs need to be tiptoed. It can be difficult to tell what will be popular ten years from now and what will need to be rethemed as soon as possible. Toon Lagoon itself speaks for that - it may have been the bees knees back when the park opened, but I never read those comics as a kid, and as far as I am aware, they didn't really penetrate into today's culture. (Now, I would happily take Garfield and Calvin & Hobbs, but again, they'll face the same problem down the road.)

Minions are what the kids want now, but in a few years they'll want something else entirely. Pop culture is a whole other animal.

So I have a confession for you all...

I love Toon Lagoon. Dudley and Popeye are both in my top 5 favorite rides at the entire resort. Comic Strip Café isn't bad. I enjoy the music/ambiance.

I'm sorry everyone. :bored:

I'm indifferent towards Toon Lagoon. I enjoy the music/ambiance and all the little water features throughout the land. I get a kick out of watching people spend money to get complete strangers soaked at the water cannons. I used to love going on Dudley before they put in the stupid lap-bars, as you used to be able to get some serious air time.

However, very rarely do we do Popeye because you get absolutely soaked. And then there's the eye sore that is Toon Lagoon Theater that just sits there year after year wasting prime real estate...

So while I don't see a complete overhaul being necessary, Toon Lagoon is really a land we just walk through to get from Marvel Super Hero Island to Jurassic Park/Kong.

I'm indifferent towards Toon Lagoon. I enjoy the music/ambiance and all the little water features throughout the land. I get a kick out of watching people spend money to get complete strangers soaked at the water cannons. I used to love going on Dudley before they put in the stupid lap-bars, as you used to be able to get some serious air time.

However, very rarely do we do Popeye because you get absolutely soaked. And then there's the eye sore that is Toon Lagoon Theater that just sits there year after year wasting prime real estate...

So while I don't see a complete overhaul being necessary, Toon Lagoon is really a land we just walk through to get from Marvel Super Hero Island to Jurassic Park/Kong.
I think I'd like to see the land get a re-skin or a major refurb. But I would be devastated to lose both Dudley and Popeye.

And yes.. that theatre..

So I have a confession for you all...

I love Toon Lagoon. Dudley and Popeye are both in my top 5 favorite rides at the entire resort. Comic Strip Café isn't bad. I enjoy the music/ambiance.

I'm sorry everyone. :bored:
And....most visitors agree with you. Popeye & Dudley are two of the most popular rides (Universal GSAT's. Touring Plans guest surveys), in the park. :thumbsup: