Future of Toon Lagoon | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, if they drain JPRA every year, you'd think they could give Dudley's some TLC.
They do...I'm just not sure overhaul is the right word...There are effects that are working now that haven't been working in years past...The rolling backdrop on the first hill for instance...And the exploding shack

They do...I'm just not sure overhaul is the right word...There are effects that are working now that haven't been working in years past...The rolling backdrop on the first hill for instance...And the exploding shack

Oh, of course, naturally.
*pulls up ride video because she's never rode Dudley's before*

But if it's just a manner of slapping a fresh coat of paint on and redoing some lighting, that's not going to break the bank (I wouldn't think).

Reactions: tankart150
The exploding shack is on... it's just been toned down, dramatically. Still works though, I like to watch it for a few minutes now and again. It's random on how much exploding it does per log fall. Sometimes just the chicken pops up, sometimes just the boards under the boardwalk move, and sometimes the exploding shack does its thing with the other effects all at once. Was working as recently as a few weeks ago in fact.

Oh, of course, naturally.
*pulls up ride video because she's never rode Dudley's before*

But if it's just a manner of slapping a fresh coat of paint on and redoing some lighting, that's not going to break the bank (I wouldn't think).
It gets new paint every year.

One day they should finally finish building the scenery and enclose exposed supports around the backside that they never finished when building the park though.

The exploding shack is on... it's just been toned down, dramatically. Still works though, I like to watch it for a few minutes now and again. It's random on how much exploding it does per log fall. Sometimes just the chicken pops up, sometimes just the boards under the boardwalk move, and sometimes the exploding shack does its thing with the other effects all at once. Was working as recently as a few weeks ago in fact.

One day they should finally finish building the scenery and enclose exposed supports around the backside that they never finished when building the park though.
Is that the gray part seen when exiting MSHI?

Yeah, it didn't work for years correctly...I think they just decided to sequence it differently...When IOA first opened it would all happen every time a log fell - A lot of moving parts honestly

Also, the exposed steel is super annoying, I almost wish they would either add some trees closer to the walkway or add to the top of Comic Strip Cafe

My dream resplacment for this area has always been spongebob. Sadly, they missed the boat with this.

Actually, after creator Stephen Hillenburg's death, I actually think it'd be even more fitting in tribute. If not here, then somewhere else.

Reactions: truejonas
I have a pretty bold opinion on this, but I stand by it: SpongeBob is the BIGGEST missed opportunity in theme park history.

Now I'm not saying it wouldn't be massive if they did it now, but I am just absolutely floored that they haven't done it yet. Take a look at the SpongeBob float for the Superstar Parade, now imagine an entire land made in that fashion. It'd be stunning.

I have a pretty bold opinion on this, but I stand by it: SpongeBob is the BIGGEST missed opportunity in theme park history.

Now I'm not saying it wouldn't be massive if they did it now, but I am just absolutely floored that they haven't done it yet. Take a look at the SpongeBob float for the Superstar Parade, now imagine an entire land made in that fashion. It'd be stunning.
Spongebob and Crash Bandicoot are dream lands of mine that I feel Universal missed an opportunity on

Spongebob is likely to go away and be rebooted someday...I wouldn't completely rule it out

The relationship between Universal and Nickelodeon after the Nick studios left and Jimmy Neutron closed was "strange", and I think they wanted to make sure they didn't paint themselves into a corner by creating something big that couldn't easily be rethemed or removed in case of troubles down the line. Just my read on it anyway. Nick opened a hotel near Disney with their own "attractions," lands in Cedar Fair parks and Mall of America and eventually their own theme park.

For whatever reason Universal seems content having Nick and Nick Jr characters in the parade, around the park, on the bags, and in one dedicated gift shop, but they drew a line on any more attractions a long time ago.

The relationship between Universal and Nickelodeon after the Nick studios left and Jimmy Neutron closed was "strange", and I think they wanted to make sure they didn't paint themselves into a corner by creating something big that couldn't easily be rethemed or removed in case of troubles down the line. Just my read on it anyway. Nick opened a hotel near Disney with their own "attractions," lands in Cedar Fair parks and Mall of America and eventually their own theme park.

For whatever reason Universal seems content having Nick and Nick Jr characters in the parade, around the park, on the bags, and in one dedicated gift shop, but they drew a line on any more attractions a long time ago.
Ironically, a lot of my friends always ask why they have a Spongebob store and not a ride...I always say, I dunno

I always wish Nickelodeon would have stayed in FL

Ironically, a lot of my friends always ask why they have a Spongebob store and not a ride...I always say, I dunno

I always wish Nickelodeon would have stayed in FL
Seems like a similar situation as Scooby Doo and the gang. They have meet and greets, but never built any attractions. Now you can find Scooby Doo rides in theme parks all around the world now, but not at Universal.

I would LOVE a Scooby Doo dark ride, especially it's something along the vibe of Mr. Toad's where you're careening around in a Mystery Machine.

Dude, yes. I realize Scooby Doo isn't as big with the kids like it used to be (at least that I know of - I don't have kids so I can't speak from any experience), but that and SpongeBob are in a different breed than the typical cartoon.

It seems like millennial nostalgia is finally in vogue. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a Scooby Doo movie in theaters in the next couple years. If it took off, maybe a Scooby-Doo ride could happen.

Reactions: truejonas