Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

3) Remove Brendan Fraiser, and maybe even update the ride to feature Tom Cruise from the new movie.
It is pretty sad that the "huge actor" that is featured as a selling point on the ride fell into Hollywood obscurity. Really dates the ride. Do kids under 17 even know who Brendan Fraiser is?

However, if you are prepared to barter, how about Matt Damon as Jason Bourne. Mercy, I love those films.
emgn-one-word-characters-6.gif

If it comes down to deciding between right now breaking ground on a SLoP or Pokemon attraction, it will be SLoP. They own the rights so they don't have to pay the same licensing fees as they would for Pokemon, plus they'll get a cut of merchandise sold as well instead of paying licensing fees for that. Also, SLoP is something they are interested in turning into a franchise so it makes sense to cross promote in both (or all) parks.

The Pokemon thing is big RIGHT NOW, but in a few weeks it will all go back to its past status as beloved childhood memory that became over saturated in the cultural zeitgeist. Makes much more sense to save it to be part of a new park/area than rush into something for IoA.

SLoP will continue to grow for months and years to come as kids watch it over and over again in the back of minivans and while sitting in restaurants waiting for food.

If it comes down to deciding between right now breaking ground on a SLoP or Pokemon attraction, it will be SLoP. They own the rights so they don't have to pay the same licensing fees as they would for Pokemon, plus they'll get a cut of merchandise sold as well instead of paying licensing fees for that. Also, SLoP is something they are interested in turning into a franchise so it makes sense to cross promote in both (or all) parks.

The Pokemon thing is big RIGHT NOW, but in a few weeks it will all go back to its past status as beloved childhood memory that became over saturated in the cultural zeitgeist. Makes much more sense to save it to be part of a new park/area than rush into something for IoA.

SLoP will continue to grow for months and years to come as kids watch it over and over again in the back of minivans and while sitting in restaurants waiting for food.

Pokemon has remained a popular franchise for two decades, while SLoP is a good movie it hasn't shown to be anywhere near as popular. If anything, expect Pokemon to remain popular (the hype will go down no doubt after GO fizzles, but it will remain popular) and SLoP to be just another good kids' movie. While Universal having sole rights helps, there is no way you can convince anyone that a SLoP attraction will have a better draw long term than Pokemon.

SLoP is shovel ready and owned in house, so I agree if it was fighting for the same spot it should take priority. But Pokemon is not just a fad. It has been a strong property for 20 plus years. It is under developed and screaming for a theme park land.

SLoP is shovel ready and owned in house, so I agree if it was fighting for the same spot it should take priority. But Pokemon is not just a fad. It has been a strong property for 20 plus years. It is under developed and screaming for a theme park land.
I don't even play it anymore but now I really want a Pokemon land.

Pokemon has remained a popular franchise for two decades, while SLoP is a good movie it hasn't shown to be anywhere near as popular. If anything, expect Pokemon to remain popular (the hype will go down no doubt after GO fizzles, but it will remain popular) and SLoP to be just another good kids' movie. While Universal having sole rights helps, there is no way you can convince anyone that a SLoP attraction will have a better draw long term than Pokemon.
As an "adult" (I suspect I'm much older than you are) I can tell you there is a lot more appeal for SLoP to a wider audience than Pokemon. Yes, I get it people have grown up with Pokemon now for years (it came along after I was old enough to care about it) and right now it is a BIG deal, but SLoP will have a broader appeal overall. I would also guess that Pokemon skews very much "BOYS" while SLoP skews a little more "girls" which is something that is a little out of balance at Universal now.

I see Disney generally targeting girls/kids in general as their primary revenue stream, while Universal see the boys/adults in general as their target market. It makes sense to try and balance that at least a little bit.

It's quite telling that even though I saw SLOP just last weekend, I'm looking at that photo of the characters above and I literally couldn't tell you the name of a single one of them if my life depended on it.
Could still be a great ride though.

It's quite telling that even though I saw SLOP just last weekend, I'm looking at that photo of the characters above and I literally couldn't tell you the name of a single one of them if my life depended on it.
Could still be a great ride though.
I can't remember the names of the minions, but they are all the same species. Whatever species that is.
51BOUav6RXL.jpg

As an "adult" (I suspect I'm much older than you are) I can tell you there is a lot more appeal for SLoP to a wider audience than Pokemon. Yes, I get it people have grown up with Pokemon now for years (it came along after I was old enough to care about it) and right now it is a BIG deal, but SLoP will have a broader appeal overall. I would also guess that Pokemon skews very much "BOYS" while SLoP skews a little more "girls" which is something that is a little out of balance at Universal now.

I see Disney generally targeting girls/kids in general as their primary revenue stream, while Universal see the boys/adults in general as their target market. It makes sense to try and balance that at least a little bit.

I disagree. Pokemon is extremely gender neutral in fact I would say I see more females with Pokemon keychains and plush charms than I do males. Pokemon does skew older than younger but so does Potter. Those same kids who grew up with Potter grew up with Pokemon and they both have the same popularity worldwide.

It is pretty sad that the "huge actor" that is featured as a selling point on the ride fell into Hollywood obscurity. Really dates the ride. Do kids under 17 even know who Brendan Fraiser is?

Really weird how he just, gone, like that. He had a couple of bombs more than Hollywood was willing to forgive. If they put Tom Cruise on the ride I might have to take a airsick bag with me on the ride. I detest Tom Cruise so much he literally sickens me.

Really weird how he just, gone, like that. He had a couple of bombs more than Hollywood was willing to forgive. If they put Tom Cruise on the ride I might have to take a airsick bag with me on the ride. I detest Tom Cruise so much he literally sickens me.

Dislike him as a person, love him as an actor.

EDIT: Dislike him as a person, hate is a strong word and I haven't actually met him.

How would SLOP have more appeal than something that has been a worldwide franchise, spanning from movies, tv shows, comics, games, board games, card games, etc.?
Sure the GO excitement will die down but there's a new Pokemon movie and game coming out soon.
SOO was a great movie but if I had to guess which one has more staying power, to a general audience, it's Pokemon.

There's no reason Pokémon and SLoP both can't get attractions down the line.

With that being said, strike while the iron is hot with SLoP. Pokémon has shown itself to be a cultural institution. You can open a ride or whatever for it whenever and still have it do gangbusters

Totally agree. I really liked SLOP and I think the animation and set lends itself well for a ride, but it's a little risky. I would prefer a Pokemon section because I feel there's more to do there, but a SLOP ride would be fun and any addition to the park is fine with me.