Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will inquire further as requested but don't expect much.

Now for my crazy thoughts based on others' posts... Starfleet Academy and Starship Enterprise... full scale with all the trimmings. I can dream right?

star-trek-uss-enterprise-full-scale.jpg

Yes please.

Yes, I agree. I don't even know what it's about. And I don't even want to know honestly.

Yes, clearly you can comment on the quality of a property by knowing nothing about it. Either way, LOTR would be vastly more profitable and popular than Star Trek. Though I think both would be good gets for them.

I doubt they got the LOTR rights, unless Christopher Tolkein died and I'm not aware of it.

Yes, clearly you can comment on the quality of a property by knowing nothing about it. Either way, LOTR would be vastly more profitable and popular than Star Trek. Though I think both would be good gets for them.

I don't know, I think both have a "nerd-stench" on them you don't find with Potter or Marvel. I think there are better IPs out there, even if none might be as visually striking as LotR.

I'm with you, tho, still not convinced LotR will ever be sold.

Re: Wet n Wild. Should be large enough for a boutique park like Discovery Cove, which has long been the Holy Grail of the Orlando theme park industry. I'm still clueless what you base a park like that off of (other than Potter or swimming with dolphins), but I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

I don't know, I think both have a "nerd-stench" on them you don't find with Potter or Marvel.

I mean, the LOTR movies have made billions of dollars. The Hobbit films didn't do as well, but they also weren't as good. But LOTR was a legit phenomenon when they were out.

Star Trek I'd call a large niche. Totally a made up term, but while everyone knows what Star Trek is, I don't think many people outside of its core fanbase really like it at all. I mean, the new, more accessible movies didn't do all that great at the box office.

Re: Wet n Wild. Should be large enough for a boutique park like Discovery Cove, which has long been the Holy Grail of the Orlando theme park industry. I'm still clueless what you base a park like that off of (other than Potter or swimming with dolphins), but I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

Yea, I don't think there's any chance of that now that Potter is fully integrated into the other parks. I'm expecting WnW to become a resort, if anything.

I mean, the LOTR movies have made billions of dollars. The Hobbit films didn't do as well, but they also weren't as good. But LOTR was a legit phenomenon when they were out.

Star Trek I'd call a large niche. Totally a made up term, but while everyone knows what Star Trek is, I don't think many people outside of its core fanbase really like it at all. I mean, the new, more accessible movies didn't do all that great at the box office.

Yea, I don't think there's any chance of that now that Potter is fully integrated into the other parks. I'm expecting WnW to become a resort, if anything.

The Hobbit movies weren't as good as The Lord of the Rings movies, but still made tons of money.
Star Trek didnt do great at the box office? The two newest movies combined for over $800 million dollars. That's not too shabby.

Regardless of numbers, both properties should be purchased by Universal. They're two of the best still out there not in theme parks.

Star Trek didnt do great at the box office? The two newest movies combined for over $800 million dollars. That's not too shabby.

For big budget movies with a household name behind them, no, that honestly isn't that great

Amen to that!
Universal would be really smart to revive their relationship with nick. Spongebob the movie just blew away all the competition in the theaters.

It didn't really have any competition, hence the big numbers. Not saying SpongeBob wouldn't do well against other kids movies, but it was the lone one going up against a trio of R rated movies in 50 Shades, Kingsman, and American Sniper

comcast should just outright buy viacom and add that to its arsenal of properties... resurrect comedy central.. MTV.. Nickelodeon (Ninja Turtles, Sponge Bob, Dora.. and best of all maybe Live Game shows lol )

Star Trek has a massive fan base. I love both ST and LotR, but ST would be a much safer play. Everyone knows the Star Trek brand whether young or old. Not mention, a big percentage of Star Wars fans also are Star Trek fans, so it would be a great response for Uni (and Disney for that matter), if a ST land was built. Regardless, I would be more than happy with either of those franchises, and to someones point, those are probably the two biggest still available out there.

soo in the latest update of ATU i like the focus on the avengers followed shortly after by a red and gold rip rockit rollercoaster... JS lol

[HASHTAG]#wishfulthinking[/HASHTAG]

STID made about 100 million more than double it's budget, that's still better than what most movies do. The next Star Trek is going to be huge if William Shatner is in it, seeing Kirk and Spock on screen together again would guarantee a huge number.

soo in the latest update of ATU i like the focus on the avengers followed shortly after by a red and gold rip rockit rollercoaster... JS lol

Looking wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much into it.

I have to disagree. Attempting to put my obvious bias aside, my gut says that Lord of the Rings would maybe bring a initial larger spike of attendance and a profitability than Star Trek would, but I get the sense that LOTR is not something that is in the cultural consciousness as much as Star Trek when there are not movies being released. Just the impression I have. And what will click with the average person when they imagine a fun theme park experience as they're planning their vacation deciding which parks to visit? With Star Trek it's easy to immediately conjure the mental image of something like being on the bridge of the Enterprise zooming through space in the middle of a battle with the Klingons, but is there an equivalent with LOTR? Is there an experience out of those movies that folks would get excited about, not to mention something that is easily translatable into a theme park experience? Another point is merchandise... that's obviously a HUGE factor now. I personally don't see the themed merchandising opportunities with Lord of the Rings. The ring, obviously, but what else? I've wracked my brain ever since this rumor surfaced and am at a complete loss for anything that doesn't devolve into traditional souvenirs like t-shirts and such. Hairy Hobbit feet slippers? And I assume there's probably some kind of food and beverage opportunity, but nothing that I think is obvious. But Star Trek has phasers, communicators, tricorders, uniform shirts, Romulan Ale, Cardassian Sunrises, Saurian brandy, Klingon bloodwine, raktajino, tranya, prune juice, green stuff, gagh, plomeek soup, etc., all much more in line with the merchandising model established at the Wizarding World. And my last point is longevity. Yes, Lord of the Rings has a huge place in literary and cinema history and will always be regarded as a timeless epic, BUT will there be more movies or anything that would help support a theme park attraction for years to come? Star Trek is still making movies, probably going to make a return to television within a few years, and just generally isn't likely to stop for a long, long time, keeping any theme park attraction appropriately relevant, perhaps with the occasional refresh. This is all purely my opinion, but I feel like Star Trek is just a little more relatable to the average person, that it's easier and maybe a little more appealing to envision themselves in this cool future, that it's fun to imagine yourself as a starship captain, just like it is to imagine yourself as a wizard. In my experience I just haven't gotten the impression that people feel that way with Lord of the Rings roles. Maybe someone who is a big fan of that franchise could respond and share how they feel it could practically work better in the parks.

With Star Trek it's easy to immediately conjure the mental image of something like being on the bridge of the Enterprise zooming through space in the middle of a battle with the Klingons, but is there an equivalent with LOTR? Is there an experience out of those movies that folks would get excited about, not to mention something that is easily translatable into a theme park experience?

hobbiton.jpg

8cfdb400a6_90583633_o2.jpg

Just to start off....

Another point is merchandise... that's obviously a HUGE factor now. I personally don't see the themed merchandising opportunities with Lord of the Rings. The ring, obviously, but what else? I've wracked my brain ever since this rumor surfaced and am at a complete loss for anything that doesn't devolve into traditional souvenirs like t-shirts and such. Hairy Hobbit feet slippers?

Styrofoam/Plastic replica swords (Like Sting, Glamdring, Anduril)
Jewelry (like Morningstar necklace or crowns)
Elven Leafs
Gandalf's hat.

and hairy Hobbit slippers would be kinda funny. :lol:

Reactions: SeventyOne
I have to disagree. Attempting to put my obvious bias aside, my gut says that Lord of the Rings would maybe bring a initial larger spike of attendance and a profitability than Star Trek would, but I get the sense that LOTR is not something that is in the cultural consciousness as much as Star Trek when there are not movies being released. Just the impression I have. And what will click with the average person when they imagine a fun theme park experience as they're planning their vacation deciding which parks to visit? With Star Trek it's easy to immediately conjure the mental image of something like being on the bridge of the Enterprise zooming through space in the middle of a battle with the Klingons, but is there an equivalent with LOTR? Is there an experience out of those movies that folks would get excited about, not to mention something that is easily translatable into a theme park experience? Another point is merchandise... that's obviously a HUGE factor now. I personally don't see the themed merchandising opportunities with Lord of the Rings. The ring, obviously, but what else? I've wracked my brain ever since this rumor surfaced and am at a complete loss for anything that doesn't devolve into traditional souvenirs like t-shirts and such. Hairy Hobbit feet slippers? And I assume there's probably some kind of food and beverage opportunity, but nothing that I think is obvious. But Star Trek has phasers, communicators, tricorders, uniform shirts, Romulan Ale, Cardassian Sunrises, Saurian brandy, Klingon bloodwine, raktajino, tranya, prune juice, green stuff, gagh, plomeek soup, etc., all much more in line with the merchandising model established at the Wizarding World. And my last point is longevity. Yes, Lord of the Rings has a huge place in literary and cinema history and will always be regarded as a timeless epic, BUT will there be more movies or anything that would help support a theme park attraction for years to come? Star Trek is still making movies, probably going to make a return to television within a few years, and just generally isn't likely to stop for a long, long time, keeping any theme park attraction appropriately relevant, perhaps with the occasional refresh. This is all purely my opinion, but I feel like Star Trek is just a little more relatable to the average person, that it's easier and maybe a little more appealing to envision themselves in this cool future, that it's fun to imagine yourself as a starship captain, just like it is to imagine yourself as a wizard. In my experience I just haven't gotten the impression that people feel that way with Lord of the Rings roles. Maybe someone who is a big fan of that franchise could respond and share how they feel it could practically work better in the parks.

They could always adapt this scene into a ride.

the-hobbit-barrel-escape-icon-3.jpg

LOTR /Hobbit have been around for 50 years and would be incredibly popular..i do think Star Trek adapts well to a theme park but I still get the feeling star trek is a little nerdy/niche, like others have said the last two star trek movies made about what the last hobbit movie made combined

as always IP means very little to me as long as the execution is at a high level

how many people thought butter beer would be the phenomenon it turned out to be? LOTR ha plenty of merchandising potential

Status
Not open for further replies.