Future Universal Projects and Parks | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Future Universal Projects and Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOTR - Hobbit would work absolutely well in an adventure park.. and the merchandise opportunities are ENDLESS... its like saing theres not much besides bananas and photo opps for king kong... when we know theres much more

bottom line echoing what briman and others have said on ths thread LOTR Hobbit has been around for ages it is known wether liked/not liked

i am not a FAN and have only seen the hobbit films but i know this would catch my attention to come to a theme park and i know the franchise it self and the concept of it.. i guess many were saying similar thing about harry potter i guess that kinda worked out well right.. kinda? lol

LotR/Hobbit was the birth of modern day fantasy, and I believe it has a higher staying power and popularity than Star Trek. I believe they are still taught in High School/College, multiple conferences are still devoted to it, and there have been several video games based off of the universe making it much more than just a series of movies.

If Lost Continent was a great area with amazing and awesome theming, how could Lost Continent with a spectacular and well known story behind it be sub-par? It has the potential for quite a few different types of rides and areas... I for one would love to see it become a reality.

LotR/Hobbit was the birth of modern day fantasy, and I believe it has a higher staying power and popularity than Star Trek. I believe they are still taught in High School/College, multiple conferences are still devoted to it, and there have been several video games based off of the universe making it much more than just a series of movies.

If Lost Continent was a great area with amazing and awesome theming, how could Lost Continent with a spectacular and well known story behind it be sub-par? It has the potential for quite a few different types of rides and areas... I for one would love to see it become a reality.

the books are still incredibly popular with the kids that I teach ( so are the HP books) so I have no doubt it would do well...

again I think both could do well in a theme park setting

I personally feel like Star Trek has so many options for cool ride ideas....plus Universal doesnt really have that "futuristic" land. I feel like if the theming is done right, some top notch attractions, I don't think the IP will matter.

I very much agree. The fantasy genre is quite popular. Game of Thrones, in a similar vein, attracts many followers. Fantasy has always been beyond a niche following. Heck, much of Disney's stuff is fantasy generated. Fantasy excites the imagination, and imagination is basically what theme parks are about.

I personally am more interested in Star Trek, but I like the Rings as well...I hope Universal is smart and brings BOTH properties to their parks. Star Trek in Studios and Lord of the Rings in Islands. That would be a great balance to the parks.

Both properties have tons of merchandising potential too. Ooh...think of the hard ticket fan conventions the parks could host! It's done well for Potter, why not do it with Trek and Rings too?

Both LOTR and Star Trek have the same qualities as Star Wars, Marvel, and Harry Potter. They are cultural phenomena that even those who are not "fans" of know even if just in passing and are familiar with in some way. If they build good attractions and immersive settings that remind people of that thing they are familiar with they will have the same effect.

When IoA opened in 1999, I didn't know much about Marvel. I remembered Spiderman cartoons being on TV when I was a kid, and even though I never watched them, I knew what Spiderman and his world looked like. When I rode the ride, I recognized the queue as being just like the cartoons and comic books. I didn't know the villains in the ride, but I didn't have to either, they made themselves known in the attraction. I loved the ride despite not being a fan and not having much interest in Marvel comics. With the new incarnations of the films and other media that has changed in part because the ride made me more interested and when I saw the movies I had those moments of "oh, I remember that from the ride".

When it comes down to it there are very few of those "evergreen" properties that develop generations of fans, but when they happen you can create attractions around them that will have long lasting appeal to both the fanboys as well as the park goer who might never have an interest otherwise.

I think a lot of the average theme park tourists might think that LOTR is Potter phase 3. At least with Star Trek, it would be something that looks completely different.

I think a lot of the average theme park tourists might think that LOTR is Potter phase 3. At least with Star Trek, it would be something that looks completely different.
Well some people think LC is Lord of the Rings...some people just have no idea of anything...

I think LOTR has some locations that could set it apart from Potter though..Mordor for instance is something you wouldn't find in HP...plus the Elven city..

Star Trek would be tougher IMO as it is kind of a generic city in some regards...unless they did the Starfleet academy...

[video=youtube_share;avcS0aYJ2a8]http://youtu.be/avcS0aYJ2a8[/video]

Enterprise-vs-Star-Destroyer.jpg

so is this a hint that uni got star trek to go head to head with star wars when it opens in 2050?
Nah. ST will be in place long before SWLand opens.

I'll just say that Uni is trying to stack the deck so that UOR will be an irresistible when the nerds descend upon Otown for SWLand.

And thus the dynamics of ThemeParkLand are changing in predictable and yet unthinkable ways.

Star Trek would be tougher IMO as it is kind of a generic city in some regards...unless they did the Starfleet academy...

Are you talking about whatever the facade would be? Because any attraction would obviously be set on a ship out in space.

If Star Trek has multiple attractions, could Universal do something like The Land at Epcot and have Starfleet Academy be the main hub for everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.