Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well again just to be clear... some people were commenting and speculating on the photos and others were flipping out about it. The "meltdown" was people mad about on topic discussions on a forum about themeparks. That is what stretched it out so long and got in the way of the discussion but some were still able to make some good points between.

I know I never said this ruined the ride or anything, rather piecing together clues of what may not be known yet. And again the reasons given trying to shut down discussions were actually reasons it should be discussed, just let us talk it out and figure it out lol.

I'm still hoping and praying for some Luna time, since she loves animals and nature so much and eventually she becomes a full blown magizoologist... Even just a small musion effect and explanation for what we're doing from a "teacher's assistant" position would suffice.
I really wish she could have been a part not just now but long time ago, Her personality is perfect for the rides.

I know, the tragedy of being in near total darkness and being able to see some track supports. Imagine how much worse it would be if the rest of the ride had exposed steel supports, yeesh.
The point I was making was that for a bit more, it could have been total darkness. As it is now, its sort of Matterhorn... 1960

The point I was making was that for a bit more, it could have been total darkness. As it is now, its sort of Matterhorn... 1960

I don't think it's a total deal breaker and given the size of the ride, it's themed incredibly well with virtually no supports visible.

The thing about Disney being able to hide track so well is that they build three types of coasters:
  1. One is based around a train (Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs and Everest) This means for theming, it's always low to ground and has ballast to disguise it. These aren't that intense and supports are almost invisible.
  2. They build a coaster like California Screamin' which is based on a traditional amusement park coaster from the early amusement parks or Slinky which has exposed track but it's based on a toy kit, either way, exposed steel makes sense and fits the theme. These allow for more freedom and in California Screamin's case, a much more intense experience.
  3. They hide the coaster in a dark room like RnRC or what I assume Guardians will be like, this allows for the most intense experiences. Everest does this also.
The more intense the ride (Or how fun the coaster is, depending on your view point), the harder it is to theme is the main point here.

Hagrid's coaster is in the sweet spot between theming and fun. Could Universal have done more to theme the track better? Sure but it either will result in a less fun coaster or the cost skyrockets. I also think that this coaster is a response to some people's disappoint in Gringotts being a 'coaster'. I'm not one of these people, I loved Gringotts.

My main concern in all this was to do the pathways but they can be easy enough to theme, roughen or dirty up for a better effect. Unfortunately, they're a necessarily evil (if you can call it that) as they're needed for safety.

Edit: And then there's Tron...

Last edited:
I don't think it's a total deal breaker and given the size of the ride, it's themed incredibly well with virtually no supports visible.

The thing about Disney being able to hide track so well is that they build three types of coasters:
  1. One is based around a train (Big Thunder, Seven Dwarfs and Everest) This means for theming, it's always low to ground and has ballast to disguise it. These aren't that intense and supports are almost invisible.
  2. They build a coaster like California Screamin' which is based on a traditional amusement park coaster from the early amusement parks or Slinky which has exposed track but it's based on a toy kit, either way, exposed steel makes sense and fits the theme. These allow for more freedom and in California Screamin's case, a much more intense experience.
  3. They hide the coaster in a dark room like RnRC or what I assume Guardians will be like, this allows for the most intense experiences. Everest does this also.
The more intense the ride (Or how fun the coaster is, depending on your view point), the harder it is to theme is the main point here.

Hagrid's coaster is in the sweet spot between theming and fun. Could Universal have done more to theme the track better? Sure but it either will result in a less fun coaster or the cost skyrockets. I also think that this coaster is a response to some people's disappoint in Gringotts being a 'coaster'. I'm not one of these people, I loved Gringotts.

My main concern in all this was to do the pathways but they can be easy enough to theme, roughen or dirty up for a better effect. Unfortunately, they're a necessarily evil (if you can call it that) as they're needed for safety.

I’m surprised no one has brought up the light leaks as Everest’s biggest issue besides the Yeti.

While I think EE has definite issues, including the broken Yeti, it is way darker and more themed than the Matterhorn was in the 60's. However, the fact that you felt like your bobsled would derail at any minute or your could get your head chopped off by cross beams added a lot to the fun of the Matterhorn. EE feels more controlled and a lot less reckless than the Matterhorn did.

Its a nicely themed ride (even with the broken Yeti). I just find with all the money spent, they got 95% there. It annoys me they just basically didn't finish it.

While I think EE has definite issues, including the broken Yeti, it is way darker and more themed than the Matterhorn was in the 60's. However, the fact that you felt like your bobsled would derail at any minute or your could get your head chopped off by cross beams added a lot to the fun of the Matterhorn. EE feels more controlled and a lot less reckless than the Matterhorn did.
While darker, is it really that much more themed than the old Matterhorn? I mean both had heavily themed exteriors, and an empty interior more or less. EE has 3 shows scenes - the bird on a stick, a projection, and a broken Yeti which does put it above the old Matterhorn but that 50+ years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Robbie Coltrane will be involved in the ride at all? Like a short film during the pre-show, or even a voiceover. I don't think he is doing great these days, health wise, so that might prevent him from doing any filming.
The thing is, when acting for film they can do a ton to hide his health issues. The character Hagrid never was a very physical active character. They could make a body double walk and as soon as he looks back to the camera they would use a close up and show Robbie who could actually sit on a chair.

I wonder if Universal tried to do too much with this coaster? It will be interesting to see how all of these effects, stops and starts affect the overall ride experience. I'm hoping that it all blends seamlessly and they hit a homerun. One thing that I do like about this ride is that it will be a totally different experience depending what time of the day or night that you ride it.

I wonder if Universal tried to do too much with this coaster? It will be interesting to see how all of these effects, stops and starts affect the overall ride experience. I'm hoping that it all blends seamlessly and they hit a homerun. One thing that I do like about this ride is that it will be a totally different experience depending what time of the day or night that you ride it.
I wouldn't count on many stops on this ride. Maybe sections where it's not going as fast, but the only real stop should be the drop track/showbuilding.

I could see a scenario where people might complain about the lack of stops.

No doubt about it, this is going to be a ride you’re going to have to do about 10x to take it all in and you’ll still be finding new stuff in 5 years time.

I could see a scenario where people might complain about the lack of stops.

No doubt about it, this is going to be a ride you’re going to have to do about 10x to take it all in and you’ll still be finding new stuff in 5 years time.

And it will morph as the vegetation grows over time. It's really the only ride I can think of other than maybe the Jungle Cruise where vegetation growth will be really noticeable and an integral part of the ride experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.