Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion | Page 115 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Initial thoughts...

(Keeping in mind this was essentially a soft opening, with limited hours and no rides/restaurants were open, which no doubt skews crowds)...

Hit Bill & Ted and 2 houses, about par for TM Preview night in my 4 or 5 years experience.

THE GREAT

* Bill & Ted. Easily best since 09, possibly since 06 if they can tighten up the ending--not sure what was going on in the final 2 minutes before the dance finale. A noticeably smaller cast but all are strong in their roles, and the writer(s) definitely have a finger on the pop culture pulse this year.

* Gothic. I've only seen 2 of the 7, but this has set a high bar, can't imagine it won't be a strong contender for house of the year. Amazing sets, costumes like I've never seen before, and some new special effects.

* Prisoners/Traditionals. The strongest of the scare troops, based on (1) outstanding casts (the trick-or-treaters can wring screams out of a simple "boo") and (2) ability to adapt to the new format (see below).

THE WAIT & SEE

* Dead End. Not to pull a Randy Jackson, but it was just alright for me. Doesn't help that it begs comparisons to Winters Night, which was superior. Also, not sure of the purpose of a Peppers Ghost effect when you can clearly see the pane of glass, and then three steps later see the actor being reflected--the whole point is to hide the effect. Hoping it improves as the cast learns its nuances.

* The Beasts. Looked impressively like Orcs. In The Lost Continent or a Tolkein rip-off house, that would be amazing. But I saw them wandering near the Simpsons and the effect was too random to be scary. The genius of the Haunted Mansion is that the Doom Buggy can face any direction as the story requires--it forces your perspective. I think traditional scare zones served a similar purpose. They give the scareactors specific places to hide, and "set the mood" for scares. Running across a single scareactor randomly just isn't the same.

* The Vampires. Looked too much like goth kids who were just bending the no-costume rule. They didn't register as "scary" until after they moved in, snarled, and moved on. Much like above, in, say, a properly themed Shrek Alley with coffins and Victorian facades, I think this troop would have done wonders. But bunched up in the middle of a crowded street they don't stand out enough.

THE NOT-GOOD

* Warriors. Looked like a cross between the Durmstrang quarterstaff team and Cobra Kai. "Dragon warriors" conjurs up images of thick-necked guys with beards and armor, not teenagers in fake tattoo shirts.

* Houses going down. P&T was down early, Gothic went down later in the night. I think Dead End was down for some of that same time, and when it went back up, the lights were off so if still looked closed. Resulted in huge crowds. I hope I was wrong and DM:MM is a hit among HHN goers, because they are going to need all the capacity they can get.

* Construction. Inevitable I know, but makes the park difficult to navigate--way too many dead ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Another negative review for House of Horrors :blank:. From @figment1986:

hmm... did any of the stuff I say on FTN's ever get out... Uni orlando is such a death zone for t-mobile and smart phones in general....

I'm still thinking about what I saw in that house... did not like it all that much... Pen and teller on the other hand... amazing!

edit:
Alice Cooper thoughts ?
If you're a fan of the music... it's a must see... if you like the music... it's alright... the house has the making of being great, but relies on the actors more to make it great. So take that how you want...

So far I have seen some so so reviews on the hordes and lack of scare zones, granted it was CM previews and such but I for one will miss the dedicated scare zones and the great atmosphere they brought to that section of the park. Id like to see a hybrid of both the scare zones along with the roaming hordes, would love to see the hordes roam from scare zone to scare zone.

Scarletwebslingr couldn't have said it any better in the HHN22 review thread.
"Roaming Streets- I did not like this and here is why; unlike the zoned and highly themed streets of days past, we have eight less "must visit" areas of the park. It's all just a grab-bag of unrelated horrors moseying around the occasional graveyard prop. With the event already having one less house to mark on your map, the lack of themed streets just made me feel like I went everything too quickly. I wanted MORE to experience and it just wasn't there. It also didn't help that the same scareactors seemed to follow my group every new location we went. It could be worse with NO streets, but I prefer the formula of previous years."

Last edited:
My thoughts

Bill and Ted: If you like Bill and Ted, good for you, you might like it. If you don't, uhm...skip this one.

Gothic: THIS HOUSE IS AWESOME

Classic Monsters: Very cool stuff, think Dead Exposure meets Classic Monsters.

Alice Cooper: Was not impressed.

Silent Hill: Sets were huge, grand, and at times epic. I was really impressed but don't play the games enough to enjoy it in it's entirety.

Hordes: The ones I saw were a lot of fun. I didn't see a lot of them, to be honest. I think I liked the Female Prisoner Chainsaws the most. They definitely have set zones that they have to scare in but are just allowed more free roam in said zones. They actually were moving around on sidewalks this year, but there is definitely intentional dead space. When I was in a "horde" it felt too spread out. The scares were a lot easier to avoid since you were able to dodge them and move away from the actors.

Construction: Really felt like it hurt atmosphere and crowd flow. They're going to have to do something if it was bottle-necking this bad in Jaws at Employee Preview.

My thoughts on preview:

I only managed to get through 3 of the 7 houses.

House of Horrors: I hit this house first, and while it was a cool house in terms of design, I did not get one scare. So, slightly disappointed, but I plan on re-visiting. 2/5

Dead End: Second to go through. This house scared the S*** out of me, several times. Great sets, the lighting and sound were on point, and whatever cast was in there was excellent. This was without a doubt the way that LT should have been done. 4/5 (4/5 only because I haven't hit the other houses yet)

Silent Hill: I was most excited to see this house, so naturally, I was let down upon going through. Visually, this was my favorite house. However, the people in front of and behind me were getting all the scares. If I HAD gone through at the right time, getting some scares, this would have been my #1 house. 3/5

Street experiences:

Surprised to see the amount of sets that were rolled out for the transition into horror nights. Very cool! I managed to experience all of the hordes, which I enjoyed, excluding the Warriors. Warriors just looked.. foolish, really. It was hard to be scared by them. Traditionals got me more than a few times.
And of course, the dead space was DEAD. I also didn't see many hordes utilizing sidewalks. Overall hordes rating: 3/5 (solely due to lack of scares)
The lagoon looked fanatstic, though! Very eerie IMO

Overall outlook:
The year looks promising, despite everything that has been said/happened against it. The construction was a major problem for me and anyone else who was there, Im sure. When usually I can get from one side of the park to other in 10 minutes, it took me at least 20-25 with the dead ends and the freakin' bars that were set up in the most inconvenient places! Still, it was fun, I had a good time, and most importantly, I got scared!

So yea...just saw a video of the streets from Inside the Magic...and they look like...streets.

Not getting the hate at this point, especially so early in the event.

Just saying, I'm sure ITM's video only showed the key points of the hordes and not all of the possible dead space that has been mentioned. If people disliked it, I'm sure it was for a good reason. Of course, they still have time to drastically improve.

Just saying, I'm sure ITM's video only showed the key points of the hordes and not all of the possible dead space that has been mentioned. If people disliked it, I'm sure it was for a good reason. Of course, they still have time to drastically improve.

Plenty of time for improvement. Changes aren't automatically going to be awesome.

And even then, they weren't running at full strength last night.

Look at the video, even being edited you could EASILY see the flaws in this format, not to mention, when the hordes come across each other, there is no interaction which is horrible.

I did like the one moment when the woman prisoner went up to the window of Mel's and scared the people sitting inside, which is pretty cool, but its hard to be scared of a little girl with a chainsaw :lol:

The warriors do look horrible I must say, a bunch of teens with tattoo shirts does not make them scary, they needed to cast some guys with bigger muscles for this horde. The vamps and trditionals look to be the best and most convincing and the ones that looks like they were into it the most because the walkers were barking like dogs, which is just, well, umm....no...

So streets look to be weak this year based on that video, lets hope it gets better as the event comes along.

The event always has flaws at the beginning.

I'm not saying it can't be improved. It just needs to be noted that I've been extremely positive about the event on the whole up until this point. The street experience as it stands currently is flawed. It'll improve, I know it will. But if they don't tighten things up it won't very much.

Even they said the video was edited well. I promise you it's flawed. I think it'll be improved but for the moment being it has flaws.

If you say its flawed I believe since you're a former SA you know what works and what doesn't.

Yeah, the texting worked for the most part on Wednesday. When HHN was over that night, it sent me a message thanking me for attending HHN22 and telling me to sign up for updates for HHN23.

I'm so excited for tonight! :) I'll finally begin to form some opinions on the houses.