Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ah External Darkness. That was a good videogame. Even got to spend some time with its creators at E3....but I digress. I agree with Fallow. Especially since the movie comes out to buy this Tuesday.

Last edited:
I wanted to take a moment to reply to your reply that you posted on Twitter, rather than here, for some reason:

This wasn't something that was specific to me not liking. It's well known the general public was pissed about the lack of chainsaws in the park, which contributed to the "Spade Gang" (Lady Luck's minions) clumsily being given chainsaws by the second weekend. It was clearly a huge misfire, and if this rumor of no chainsaws is true, they should have learned from it. I guarantee you the same complaints will surface from the general public and we'll get the saws back by weekend 2, except they'll be randomly and haphazardly included. Wouldn't you rather they just plan to include them in the first place?

As for the Comcast bit, I stated in my original post it's a guess. Any HHN insider worth talking about has made it abundantly clear that Comcast executives out West are controlling Orlando's event post 2011. It stands to reason that they might be responsible for cutting elements in the streets they don't think are necessary to save a few bucks (despite previous experiments proving that they pretty much are.)

You've made it a habit of mocking the haunt community on your personal Twitter and what I assume is supposed to be a professional blog. I suggest not alienating a substantial portion of the theme park community, especially when you're attacking an event you've only been attending two years while others have been going a lot longer and have experienced the difference the cuts make firsthand.

If I may, and it's not that I'm knocking your opinon, but just pointing this out.

You've made several posts regarding your thoughts about several changes to this year's event and have painted a picture of budget cuts affecting the event in a negative light. That's fine, but TBH this is what I see:

They have 8 houses, adding 1 from last year; Rumored to have 9 zones with a mix of hordes and set areas, improving upon last year; 2 shows including the return of RHPS which was a Haunt fan fave; bringing back LT in a much more involved way, and do not know the extent of the detail of the zones or houses. Yet when someone posts about the lack of chainsaws or stlit-walkers, you throw out budget cuts.

Just seems kinda silly when we have only officially confirmed a couple things about this year.

If I may, and it's not that I'm knocking your opinon, but just pointing this out.

You've made several posts regarding your thoughts about several changes to this year's event and have painted a picture of budget cuts affecting the event in a negative light. That's fine, but TBH this is what I see:

They have 8 houses, adding 1 from last year; Rumored to have 9 zones with a mix of hordes and set areas, improving upon last year; 2 shows including the return of RHPS which was a Haunt fan fave; bringing back LT in a much more involved way, and do not know the extent of the detail of the zones or houses. Yet when someone posts about the lack of chainsaws or stlit-walkers, you throw out budget cuts.

Just seems kinda silly when we have only officially confirmed a couple things about this year.

You may indeed, I have no problems having a discussion. :cheers:

Adding the one house from the neutered event last year is, at best, a fix for the mutilated budget from last year. 9 zones doesn't mean much to me when 2008 was able to pull off the same feat with actual sets and high-quality, new costumes (and without resorting to real hordes). The costumes last year were an embarrassment with the exception of the vampires. The Traditionals' masks came from a haunt shop down the road, the Beasts had recycled Spawning and Grinch masks, the Prisoners had some of the cheapest costumes imaginable, the Warriors had those awful, bizarre shirt tattoo things... very little of it was original, and very little of what was was cheap or recycled. That tells me (and everything I've heard confirmed this) that A&D had a tiny, tiny street budget last year.

Do understand I don't automatically consider things better if it improved upon *last* year, especially since *last* year was pretty mediocre at best. So 9 street experiences of some sort is not an improvement... not even off of last year, actually, since they threw in 3 "bonus" hordes midway through the event as a sort of desperation move (what does that tell you about guest feedback to the hordes?) Everything I've heard about the streets (and some of it I really can't talk about) is not good - it's extremely worrying. My confidence is not there, especially not after last year.

Two shows is (again) not an improvement to me. We used to get three or even four shows and that was the norm, and now we celebrate when we have two? I'm glad RHPS is coming back, but it doesn't forgive the shrinking show slate or the absolutely abysmal writing of Bill & Ted last year (and it's the same writer this year, so, goodie.)

I attended the Legendary Truth panel at Halloween Extreme, and while I admire their ambition, I'm not altogether convinced it's going to work as well as they want it to. So far the activity online has fizzled and has the fan community disappointed and restless (though to be fair part of that is to deal with the marketing blunder that is "PS's blog"). It's just when they promise "year-round fan interaction" and "bi-weekly updates" people are expecting a little more than a comment from Goth (who is a whole other story) or a hurried "keep waiting" status from LT. This is one of the more encouraging aspects of the event this year and I'll keep waiting to see if it takes off, but right now, things seem very unfocused and I'm forced to recall 2010's LT misfire.

Lack of chainsaws & stilts means money saved for Universal. They have to pay each scare actor group more per hour throughout the event for their specialized duties. Cutting them saves them some $$ that could go towards that 8th house that we're getting back (and praising them for, for some reason?) I don't even care for the chainsaws that much, but it isn't hard to see this is a cut.

Answer me this - last year we didn't have an 8th house or real sets in the scare zones (sans one of them). (No those recycled headstones do not count.) Where did all of the money that was usually allocated to those things go? (Hint: the answer is two words and rhymes with Talking Bed.)

Last edited:
You may indeed, I have no problems having a discussion. :cheers:

Adding the one house from the neutered event last year is, at best, a fix for the mutilated budget from last year. 9 zones doesn't mean much to me when 2008 was able to pull off the same feat with actual sets and high-quality, new costumes (and without resorting to real hordes). The costumes last year were an embarrassment with the exception of the vampires. The Traditionals' masks came from a haunt shop down the road, the Beasts had recycled Spawning and Grinch masks, the Prisoners had some of the cheapest costumes imaginable, the Warriors had those awful, bizarre shirt tattoo things... very little of it was original, and very little of what was was cheap or recycled. That tells me (and everything I've heard confirmed this) that A&D had a tiny, tiny street budget last year.

Do understand I don't automatically consider things better if it improved upon *last* year, especially since *last* year was pretty mediocre at best. So 9 street experiences of some sort is not an improvement... not even off of last year, actually, since they threw in 3 "bonus" hordes midway through the event as a sort of desperation move (what does that tell you about guest feedback to the hordes?) Everything I've heard about the streets (and some of it I really can't talk about) is not good - it's extremely worrying. My confidence is not there, especially not after last year.

Two shows is (again) not an improvement to me. We used to get three or even four shows and that was the norm, and now we celebrate when we have two? I'm glad RHPS is coming back, but it doesn't forgive the shrinking show slate or the absolutely abysmal writing of Bill & Ted last year (and it's the same writer this year, so, goodie.)

I attended the Legendary Truth panel at Halloween Extreme, and while I admire their ambition, I'm not altogether convinced it's going to work as well as they want it to. So far the activity online has fizzled and has the fan community disappointed and restless (though to be fair part of that is to deal with the marketing blunder that is "PS's blog"). It's just when they promise "year-round fan interaction" and "bi-weekly updates" people are expecting a little more than a comment from Goth (who is a whole other story) or a hurried "keep waiting" status from LT. This is one of the more encouraging aspects of the event this year and I'll keep waiting to see if it takes off, but right now, things seem very unfocused and I'm forced to recall 2010's LT misfire.

Lack of chainsaws & stilts means money saved for Universal. They have to pay each scare actor group more per hour throughout the event for their specialized duties. Cutting them saves them some $$ that could go towards that 8th house that we're getting back (and praising them for, for some reason?) I don't even care for the chainsaws that much, but it isn't hard to see this is a cut.

Answer me this - last year we didn't have an 8th house or real sets in the scare zones (sans one of them). (No those recycled headstones do not count.) Where did all of the money that was usually allocated to those things go? (Hint: the answer is two words and rhymes with Talking Bed.)

The Stalking Lead house was my favorite

I think you bring up some interesting points that make sense...one problem with more IPs is that they cost money to licence..even if it is only for the event run

Well again, I think last year's event was impacted by everything else for the parks (Transformers, Potter, Simpsons). I'm not saying cuts can't impact the event, but I'd rather experience the event first before labeling it as a problem.

Well again, I think last year's event was impacted by everything else for the parks (Transformers, Potter, Simpsons). I'm not saying cuts can't impact the event, but I'd rather experience the event first before labeling it as a problem.

But that's the problem - if I go to experience the event and it turns out to be mediocre or worse, I'm out around a thousand bucks. I have to be discerning now. I now live out of state and have to account for airfare and hotel stays, in addition to tickets, food, and merchandise. Last year I was uneasy about the lineup and the apparent cutbacks... everyone kept chanting that everything was going to be fine or even better than ever. I gave it a go, and I got burned. I'm not exactly looking to make that gamble again if the event looks like it isn't going to be stellar. (And the thing is, if I'd gotten 2011's event last year with the higher cost of entry, I would've been satisfied for the money I paid. It doesn't have to be 2008 for it to be worth my while.)

I guess what I'm asking is how many times does the event have to blow and decline year by year until I'm not attacked on HHN communities and Twitter (again by Parkscope, thanks for the shout-out!) for complaining about the event I love(d)? How many years of lackluster houses, pitiful zones and blatant advertising for AMC do I have to endure before people realize there's a problem? When are people going to notice that this trend (and the fan reactions to it) are startlingly/disturbingly similar to the decline of WDW? I complain because I care, and while many remain in the shadows choose not to speak (because they know they'll be attacked just like I often am [note: not referring to you, Bri]) or have just moved on to superior events, I am not alone in thinking last year's HHN was pretty awful and that this year's doesn't look much better.

They still spend a budget 3 theme parks would do on there horror event. Bean counters have learned this IP brings in instant recognition so the dollars come in. I don't think they cut back they just spend more on IP to draw in a bigger and bigger crowd. The Houses were still huge and well done ( not great houses but the sets were as usual awesome) Also they hire more and more people we don't see be it security, make up artist and the always popular drink vendors. The event is already Busting at the seems for pure volume and sadly I have also discussed this with haunt Owners and horror Fans Original ideas seem to be drying up. So Universal now allots Budget to names to draw in more dollars I don't think it is cut back the true fans are coming no matter what and they now that already from just getting online.

But that's the problem - if I go to experience the event and it turns out to be mediocre or worse, I'm out around a thousand bucks. I have to be discerning now. I now live out of state and have to account for airfare and hotel stays, in addition to tickets, food, and merchandise. Last year I was uneasy about the lineup and the apparent cutbacks... everyone kept chanting that everything was going to be fine or even better than ever. I gave it a go, and I got burned. I'm not exactly looking to make that gamble again if the event looks like it isn't going to be stellar. (And the thing is, if I'd gotten 2011's event last year with the higher cost of entry, I would've been satisfied for the money I paid. It doesn't have to be 2008 for it to be worth my while.)

I guess what I'm asking is how many times does the event have to blow and decline year by year until I'm not attacked on HHN communities and Twitter (again by Parkscope, thanks for the shout-out!) for complaining about the event I love(d)? How many years of lackluster houses, pitiful zones and blatant advertising for AMC do I have to endure before people realize there's a problem? When are people going to notice that this trend (and the fan reactions to it) are startlingly/disturbingly similar to the decline of WDW? I complain because I care, and while many remain in the shadows choose not to speak (because they know they'll be attacked just like I often am [note: not referring to you, Bri]) or have just moved on to superior events, I am not alone in thinking last year's HHN was pretty awful and that this year's doesn't look much better.

Well said.
Sadly they will most likely always get my money what else is around... If I were up north I wouldn't even look this way.

Well as a non-local, I can understand the hesitation before committing any funds, but I disagree that it has to be now. Especially since all we really have confirmed is 1 house (about to be 2) and 1 show. The only real evidence of cuts so far is speculation that stilts and chainsaws are gone. Is that really going to stop you from attending, as it stands now?

HHN always fluctuates though. I've been going since HHN 12 and there have been years other than the past 2 (Which I consider down years) that have completely missed the mark. Regardless, there was still plenty of postives to come out of those years. Again though, we don't know the scope of the zones/hoardes or how immersive the houses will be. All this is according to my opinion but HHN 16-17 were down years, 18-19 were up years, 20 was about the status quo, and now we're back to a down period with the past 2 years; so I don't see the year after year decline.

I was lucky enough to go to HHN once, Im hoping to go again soon... and by chance that time could even be this year...

My question is, do they still have a Bill and Ted's show?

I was surprised at how good that show was. It was riske and I found it very funny.

Is it possible to do all the houses in one evening or is this out of the question?
I went to HHN 16 and did all but one house.

I was surprised at how good that show was. It was riske and I found it very funny.

Is it possible to do all the houses in one evening or is this out of the question?
I went to HHN 16 and did all but one house.

We did all the house last year without express and saw B&T and 7PC all before 11pm.

There was a rumor of an insert in the release tomorrow mentioning the Evil Dead houses in both parks. Guessing that's not true if the house isn't announced tonight.