Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
IMO the only thing rated PG 13 at the event is B&T... The event as a whole is rated PG.

Out of curiosity, according to what? The website always says, "not recommended for children under the age of 13." The definition for PG-13 is pretty identical: "Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13."

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you said in your opinion. My mistake. :doh:

In reply to Capacity:

They also only had 7 houses but they are bringing back 8 because (at least for one reason) that's the standard Universal is held up to nowadays. People were shocked when there were only 7 houses at the event, regardless of the reason why.

In my opinion, moving scarezone sets from backstage to the park just seems rather doable. Very doable, actually. They've done it before roaming scarezones were implemented (marvel island 2002) and it makes the event 1,000 times better. HUGE mistake to bring back the hordes.

In reply to Capacity:

They also only had 7 houses but they are bringing back 8 because (at least for one reason) that's the standard Universal is held up to nowadays. People were shocked when there were only 7 houses at the event, regardless of the reason why.

In my opinion, moving scarezone sets from backstage to the park just seems rather doable. Very doable, actually. They've done it before roaming scarezones were implemented (marvel island 2002) and it makes the event 1,000 times better. HUGE mistake to bring back the hordes.

I agree. You just seemed surprised at the idea of no scarezones.

The only reason why the event is PG 13 is cause they dont have to sell a kids ticket if its rated PG-13.

I cover A LOT of Haunts, and I've some PG 13 rated Haunts, and HHN isnt even close to those standards.. Hell HOS is more gory then HHN (And I hate gore)

Capacity:

I mean, I would definitely be surprised if there are no scarezones. I was more surprised that it was being talked about like it was gonna happen, or like it should happen.

Edit: :doh: I keep forgetting to hit "reply with quote"

If scarezones don't return then I will regretfully have to miss a HHN. Last year was garbage IMO, partly because of the lines, partly because of the disappointing houses (and having only 7 didn't help), and partly because of the lack of SZ's. Idk it just didn't feel like HHN which is weird because 2007 had no zones and I didn't hate it as much as last year. Add all of that with the crazy drunks that frequent the event every year and it's not even worth the arm & a leg for admission.

I think we misunderstand the notion of what PG-13 means. Episode III is rated PG-13. Super 8 is PG-13. This is similar to theme park attractions. T2-3D is rated PG-13. Just because HHN is "less gory" than other events, doesn't make it a "PG" event. In fact, if you put some of the scenes from many of the houses into movies, they'd be rated R. No question.

I think we misunderstand the notion of what PG-13 means. Episode III is rated PG-13. Super 8 is PG-13. This is similar to theme park attractions. T2-3D is rated PG-13. Just because HHN is "less gory" than other events, doesn't make it a "PG" event. In fact, if you put some of the scenes from many of the houses into movies, they'd be rated R. No question.

But that's what's so preposterous. As Jakemeister pointed out, in terms of language and sexuality Halloween Horror Nights has been embarrassingly PG13 the past few years - but in terms of gore, it's definitely in the R territory (and even then, it's not as intense as it used to be - look up any of the Body Collectors houses, for example). This is the event that had the Vampyr houses (which, if I'm not mistaken, had some sort of... um... "trouser kiss gone wrong" show sequence?) and the scare actors in Creatures! making comments about exploded condoms.

To give you an idea of the differences in content between Hollywood and Orlando's events in recent years: Hollywood's SAW house featured the frozen, naked woman scene from SAW III - it's chilling (...sorry) and didn't hold back on the grotesqueness, nudity and all. The syringe sequence, one of the most iconic SAW traps (from the second film), was featured front and center in Hollywood. Any scene of that sort of intensity or nudity was omitted from Orlando's house. Another great example, this one (in my opinion) even more disturbing, is a difference in The Walking Dead attractions - Hollywood featured the extremely memorable "God Forgive Us" set seen on the show, while Orlando got "Save Us." Figure out how that decision went.

It's right in line with the typical and dangerously flawed, Americanized notion that showing horrific violence is relatively okay, but saying a naughty word or even referencing sex or (god forbid) any religious theme is taboo.

But that's what's so preposterous. As Jakemeister pointed out, in terms of language and sexuality Halloween Horror Nights has been embarrassingly PG13 the past few years - but in terms of gore, it's definitely in the R territory (and even then, it's not as intense as it used to be - look up any of the Body Collectors houses, for example). This is the event that had the Vampyr houses (which, if I'm not mistaken, had some sort of... um... "trouser kiss gone wrong" show sequence?) and the scare actors in Creatures! making comments about exploded condoms.

To give you an idea of the differences in content between Hollywood and Orlando's events in recent years: Hollywood's SAW house featured the frozen, naked woman scene from SAW III - it's chilling (...sorry) and didn't hold back on the grotesqueness, nudity and all. The syringe sequence, one of the most iconic SAW traps (from the second film), was featured front and center in Hollywood. Any scene of that sort of intensity or nudity was omitted from Orlando's house. Another great example, this one (in my opinion) even more disturbing, is a difference in The Walking Dead attractions - Hollywood featured the extremely memorable "God Forgive Us" set seen on the show, while Orlando got "Save Us." Figure out how that decision went.

It's right in line with the typical and dangerously flawed, Americanized notion that showing horrific violence is relatively okay, but saying a naughty word or even referencing sex or (god forbid) any religious theme is taboo.

Oh I'm not disagreeing in that sense. I'm writing a thesis as we speak on representations of sexuality in literature and completely disagree with the double standard between violence and sexuality. HOWEVER, the implication that the violence at this event is PG-13 is not accurate. The language/sexual references? Sure. Violence? No.

And I know all about HHN:H, I go every year :thumbs:

Everyone is correct andthe point is moot. As Jymmymack pointed out they go by what is familiar to most people's judgement. They know PG-13 from the movie rating system. It is a precautionary and there is no actual haunted house rating committee. It is just a general way to cover the basis of letting people know they are in for an intense event.

Reactions: Felipe
New Legendary Truth post:

TO: THE COLLECTIVE

RE: BY-LAWS REINSTATED 12:01AM 05-25-13

MEDIA BRIEFING SCHEDULED FOR 05-25-13 1300 HRS

N 28 25.471, W 81 27.826N

28 25 28.2, W 81 27 49.6

STATUS: Comprehensive reevaluation of registered CROs,CFOs, and CCOs 98% complete.

Recruitment to resume.

Standby for further communication…

Apparently it lines up with the Halloween Extreme panel taking place tomorrow.

From Designing the Fear's twitter

@DesigningFear: New txt: "...Tent 1 has prison bars, wine bottle racks & church pews outside of it..." #HHN23 #HalloweenHorrorNights

Sounds like something out west..

Guys... I think we can all agree that it's The Walking Dead again... It'll take place in the prison and Herschel tried to make part of it a church so that explains the pews! :lol:

Well, I was there. I have live tweets of the entire thing, but not sure if it's okay to post the account (it isn't my personal.) All in all it was a very well done, fan-targeted event that leaves me optimistic for the program's future (and cynical in some other ways).

Well, I was there. I have live tweets of the entire thing, but not sure if it's okay to post the account (it isn't my personal.) All in all it was a very well done, fan-targeted event that leaves me optimistic for the program's future (and cynical in some other ways).

Eh, I say go ahead and post it. :thumbs: