Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

\

I understand. there was something else someone mentioned elsewhere, how come actors don't get a radio or something? specially if they are in a house. do actors get radios? is it because it is too hard to have with the costume on? would it be better if they did?
I've only ever worked on the streets at HHN and we didn't get radios. As stated, there's Stage Managers, coordinators, security and OCPD everywhere. What we were told to do was to signal to the closest one if we had a problem and they would track down the person if need-be. Is that good enough? I don't see how a radio would help on the streets compared to that system as it was always very fast. I think there's other things that need to be fixed first.

As far as houses - I'm not sure about HHN (I know many who have worked in houses, never asked but also never heard that they have radios). The thing for most people in the houses is they are already shielded or have an easy escape (and Stage Managers/coordinators are nearby). Radios might be a slight help if there was a serious emergency, but there's so many people backstage (from what I know) you're better off going a few feet and grabbing someone.

I worked in Blood Asylum for a few years at HOS and we didn't receive radios, however there were so many coordinators, stage managers and police around (plus all doors lead to backstage), I never personally felt in danger. You are definitely much more protected in a house rather than on the streets, that's for sure. The later the night gets, the drunker people get, the more at risk you are at being punched in the face for doing your job.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they have unmarked security roaming around? Im sure in some cases the idiots don't see a security near by and think they are in the clear to do whatever they want.

Back when I was a captain on Ship of Screams (2003), one of my fellow students was working in the clown house in Thunder Falls. We had went to auditions together and I was the one who convinced her that it would be a fun thing to do after class to earn some money.

She was hired specifically because she was small, about 4'7", and was the little clown who popped out at the end from behind a curtain with a squeeze horn. One day she took a boot to the face as soon as she popped out from a drunk redneck who thought it was funny. Broke her nose and shattered her orbital. The guy was arrested immediately and ended up going to prison for aggravated assault. She was out of school for two months and Universal and the OPD officer on site ended up testifying in person on her behalf because she was terrified of the guy. It was a really sad situation and still makes me feel sick because I felt like I was responsible for her getting that job. She was not the same happy, independent person any more after that. She stopped going to the parks because she feared people and crowds she didn't know, didn't go shopping without someone else with her. She would insist on holding my hand in places like the mall (we were not romantically involved). Eventually she dropped out and went back to move with her family and I've since lost contact.

Uh...I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is nothing new. I'm glad it's getting media exposure though.

I agree with that. That entire scarezone was pointless... it turned into a giant photo-op, which negates the point of it being a SCAREzone.

The problem with photo ops is that they give guests a reason to make contact with the actors. Prior to "selfie" being a word, you had no reason to invade an actor's "personal space" or put your hands within a foot of one. Now, everyone is much closer, been to be inadvertent or innocuous touching, but that just allows more malicious touching as well.

And, as you said, destroys suspension of disbelief and makes the scare zone not scary.

I was the one that had brought up radios for both houses and scarezones because it seemed that some of them were saying there was no way they could get the attention of the security because of crowds, sight lines, etc. Also that some of them don't want to break character for something on the minor side that should still be addressed.

Below is what I was thinking of, replace one of the earplugs with an in ear microphone or even a throat mic could work. Don't know if it would be helpful for them to hear the TM/Security members but these could go a long way I think.

On a side note, since alcohol is still being brought up quite a bit, I had a question. Didn't Universal already cut down on alcohol sales at both HHN and Mardi Gras years ago (abandoned mainly for profit reasons)? I recall us having yard glasses hanging around our necks that would leave our hands free. If we could be responsible adults with more alcohol on us and our hands free, why all of a sudden with less of that are people becoming animals. I think I agree the most logical reason is the addition of the selfie, it makes it way to hard to determine who means harm and who doesn't but regardless people are getting distracted and their personal bubble is being popped repeatedly.

sanwa-throat-mic.jpg

Microphone_Madness_MMBSM8_BSM_8_Stereo_Binaural_In_Ear_337638.jpg

I think they should cut out the in-line bars (only have them for soft drinks) and have a more aggressive approach to obviously obnoxious drunks and remove them from the park. I mean, during the day if someone was in the park obviously being drunk and obnoxious he'd probably be removed. Also, train the bartenders more and have them refuse alcohol to people who had too much as it is.

I also thing under 17 should be accompanied by an adult, heck, this should always be the case, but it appears some parents just use theme parks as a babysitter and just drop their kids off. Last week at HHN I saw a group of boys that looked about 14, no parents with them ... just loud obnoxious boys ...

I also thing under 17 should be accompanied by an adult, heck, this should always be the case, but it appears some parents just use theme parks as a babysitter and just drop their kids off. Last week at HHN I saw a group of boys that looked about 14, no parents with them ... just loud obnoxious boys ...
I'd tend to be a bit more lenient and say 16 or older. If you are a licensed driver, I think you should be old enough to attend on your own with friends. That age group isn't nearly the problem most people think it is (besides hell week). It's mostly college aged men (or just all men that turn into douche-bags when they're drunk)

I think they should cut out the in-line bars (only have them for soft drinks)
I can agree with this part, unless the lines are long. It should only be offered towards the end of at least a 45 minute line. I think when the lines are shorter they should move the carts to the exits. Buying drinks in line only to have to chug them so you can go in the house isn't a good idea and doesn't create a good experience for the guests.

I can agree with this part, unless the lines are long. It should only be offered towards the end of at least a 45 minute line. I think when the lines are shorter they should move the carts to the exits. Buying drinks in line only to have to chug them so you can go in the house isn't a good idea and doesn't create a good experience for the guests.
Again, Im gonna argue that they're so expensive that it doesn't even matter. That, and that the bars in line only accept cash, which is an extra deterrent in addition to the insane prices. If there's one bar per each house line, with a 1-drink per ID rule, and it takes four beers to get a strong buzz...that's $28+ in cash, not including tip, in about an hour, maybe two. So not only are you carrying around close to $100 in cash to get drunk enough to be a problem, but you're averaging four stops per hour (which in some cases, is the length of one line despite there only being one bar per line). If anything, I think Universal is being proactive about the issue by having these line bars because these days, carrying a bunch of spending cash (especially at a theme park) is getting rarer and rarer. My last visit, I only stopped at the more permanent bars because I could only pay with credit. I dont know if that makes sense, but I still just dont see alcohol sold AT the event being the problem.

Again, Im gonna argue that they're so expensive that it doesn't even matter. That, and that the bars in line only accept cash, which is an extra deterrent in addition to the insane prices. If there's one bar per each house line, with a 1-drink per ID rule, and it takes four beers to get a strong buzz...that's $28+ in cash, not including tip, in about an hour, maybe two. So not only are you carrying around close to $100 in cash to get drunk enough to be a problem, but you're averaging four stops per hour (which in some cases, is the length of one line despite there only being one bar per line). If anything, I think Universal is being proactive about the issue by having these line bars because these days, carrying a bunch of spending cash (especially at a theme park) is getting rarer and rarer. My last visit, I only stopped at the more permanent bars because I could only pay with credit. I dont know if that makes sense, but I still just dont see alcohol sold AT the event being the problem.
People pre-gaming and showing up around 8-9 is generally a bigger issue.

The line bars and nurses have the phone card scanners now.

People pre-gaming and showing up around 8-9 is generally a bigger issue.
Exactly, and banning alcohol won't stop that. If anything, it could even make it worse. When I was underage I would get blasted since I knew I couldn't drink in the park. Oh, and not once did anyone stop me.

And disclaimer, I was never an a*****e about it, either. Even as a drunk kid I was always respectful. But other people can be idiots. I honestly wonder if there will ever be a point where Universal
outgrows HHN. It's not a regional-sized event anymore, it's a major Halloween attraction. With all the liabilities that that many people bring, I'll be interested to see what happens with it in the future.

Hmm...that wasn't the case my first trip there this year. Wish I had known that honestly ;)
I think it was hit or miss earlier but lately I have noticed that at least most of them have them as of my more recent trips. Perhaps they tried it on some, saw sales skyrocket because swiping a card doesn't equate to spending money in some peoples minds, or at least they don't keep track as well and expanded the carts that had it.

And also to people pregaming, they should not let in visibly drunk people because if you are showing up that loaded I feel like you are up to no good. If you piss of the drunk people that can't keep themselves composed then good, I hope they don't come back. Also security should use a metal detector son all the plant potters and confiscate all the pocket knifes that people hide there. I have gone with a friend of a friend that remembers he has a knife on him in front of the movie theater, is too lazy to go back to the car, and has successfully in back to back years hidden the knife in citywalk and retrieved it at the end of the night.

Last edited:
Think of it like this: You have some branded merchandise following a theme (in this case HHN Alumni). You have 5,000 of them and they are selling fast. Some carts sell out of the items early in the night. You have 20,000 of the rest of your branded merchandise (the 25th Jack merch). The Alumni merch proved to be a solid seller, while the 25th Jack merch sells much less.

So what do you do? You pull the proven sell because if people want a shirt or a cup, they're going to buy one anyway. Sell the large quantities, then when they even out, put the other merch back out.
The Tervis has now been discounted.image.jpeg