Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 612 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Screw it, I'll be honest. Depths of Fear was my favorite house this year and one of my all time favorites. House of 1000 Corpses was my favorite IP this year. I loved Graveyard Games, but all my runs through Depths were amazing. Love the freaking sets in that one. My kind of theme honestly.

Screw it, I'll be honest. Depths of Fear was my favorite house this year and one of my all time favorites. House of 1000 Corpses was my favorite IP this year. I loved Graveyard Games, but all my runs through Depths were amazing. Love the freaking sets in that one. My kind of theme honestly.
I started the event thinking people were going to LOVE Depths. I didn’t really think that the creature design looked silly until other people brought it up, and I still don’t really; same with Nightingales. If you’d like to share, what aspects of Depths make it your favorite?

Depths had me hoping for more tbh...I was expecting more monsters and varied locations (ala Bioshock)....So I think I went in with the wrong expectations

Graveyard was more than I expected, and had a creepy tone to it. I think I loved it so much because it reminded me of the original Screamhouse in some ways

It's really really subjective honestly

Honestly, it was everything. Creature design, the scareactors tending to be amazing, the set design, the facade and entrance way just setting the mood, and the general "Alien" vibe I got from it. It was pretty much the closest to an Alien house I feel we will ever get. Also I just love underwater themes so that helped. It was one of the few houses where I got so engrossed in the atmosphere and sets, and just general design of the house, that I forgot I was in a house and felt I was actually in an underwater facility.

Honestly, it was everything. Creature design, the scareactors tending to be amazing, the set design, the facade and entrance way just setting the mood, and the general "Alien" vibe I got from it. It was pretty much the closest to an Alien house I feel we will ever get. Also I just love underwater themes so that helped. It was one of the few houses where I got so engrossed in the atmosphere and sets, and just general design of the house, that I forgot I was in a house and felt I was actually in an underwater facility.

I hope we keep getting houses with that level of intensity. Like, I'll tolerate a few family friendly houses, but it BETTER not mean the end of Nightingales/Scarecrows/Depths/Dead Exposures.

Reactions: Darko
Did you not see the Alien V Predator house? I think that house spoiled this a bit for me too

And Saws N Steam

Depths had me hoping for more tbh...I was expecting more monsters and varied locations (ala Bioshock)....So I think I went in with the wrong expectations

Graveyard was more than I expected, and had a creepy tone to it. I think I loved it so much because it reminded me of the original Screamhouse in some ways

It's really really subjective honestly
I really loved Graveyard Games myself. That pitch black tunnel of voices...yikes. Generally awesome atmosphere and really creepy.

Depths for me was actually pretty low on my anticipation list honestly. I loved underwater themes and such but once it said "Underwater mining facility" I was worried bout scene variety. Guess you could say we walked into Depths with completely different expectations and had two different opinions. Like you said, all subjective.

And yes I have seen the Alien vs Predator maze and Saws N Steam. But Depths of Fear never had me remembering I was in a maze.

Reactions: shiekra38
I really loved Graveyard Games myself. That pitch black tunnel of voices...yikes. Generally awesome atmosphere and really creepy.

Depths for me was actually pretty low on my anticipation list honestly. I loved underwater themes and such but once it said "Underwater mining facility" I was worried bout scene variety. Guess you could say we walked into Depths with completely different expectations and had two different opinions. Like you said, all subjective.
I think it’s really interesting how anticipation and the actual results can be so wildly different. For me, I went in feeling pretty good about everything, but not expecting much from some of the originals. I thought Ghostbusters was going to blow everything out of the water with its budget, and while I knew that ST last year wasn’t what I’d call a good house, it was beautiful, and I could expect that for this year.

I did love GB at first, but that polish really wore off after my first few runs. Graveyard Games may have turned out to be one of the most effective houses I’ve ever been exposed to in regards to scares. The candle scene is what caused that dread for me the first time, and even until the last night, the big open room with all the children was terrifying. Also, I think we were blessed to have Sid. WHAT a scareactor. That’s all.

But you are comparing a full fledged costume to a puppet. And the puppets didn't work for me either. Too stilted.

the alien puppets worked the entire month lol, there were times in depths were only like 2 fish creatures were in the house lol.
you could go the entire house without ever seeing a fish.

at least we got to see the aliens constantly.......all month

Reactions: WAJAS
the alien puppets worked the entire month lol, there were times in depths were only like 2 fish creatures were in the house lol.
you could go the entire house without ever seeing a fish.

at least we got to see the aliens constantly.......all month
I wasn't talking functionality, I am talking effectiveness.

The thing about depths that I found really cool was that it was such a fantastic homage to 80s sci fi.

There were so many nods to this era and genre of movie.

Regardless they gave us 10 houses this year! We don’t have to all like the same stuff.

depths of fear is almost literally all based on the movie Leviathan down to the creature design and the infected scientists and tentacle creatures, the sets, the lab, everything.

Since I promised.
Kxe96KB.png

What?! All I got was a laminated piece of paper for PotW and SceneotY!

So I tweeted a couple weeks ago, putting HHN 29 in the "top tier" of the New Era of Horror, along with 21 and 25. I was met with some derision (which is cool, whole point of posting was to stir up debate).

Now that we're done, of the 10 houses, even the consensus 9th has unironic defenders. A mostly consensus middle-of-the-pack house took HotY. And the consensus 10th house had the longest lines every night.

This really was the strongest house line-up in event history. Doesn't mean every house scratched your particular horror itch--but each house did that for a lot of fans. Throw in two great shows, and the ancillary support (food booths, HHN store, signage), I stand by my statement, even with the pitiful zones.

I also thought that that the countdown sequence was so effective in creating high stakes; the whole time it feels like you are trying to escape not only the demolition of the facility but the wrath of the Mouthbrooders. I really loved that aspect of it.