Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 302 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Personally, I love to repeat houses. There are absolutely diminishing returns when it comes to scares after the first few runs, but there is so much more to a Universal Haunt than the scares. I could play a $5 horror game on Steam if all I wanted to do was get jumpscared repeatedly. I'd save a lot of money doing that too haha. It's about the details you couldn't possibly notice the first few times through. The thematic elements, props, posters, costumes, that have all had countless hours spent in the design and construction phases that just get lost when your brain is in fight-or-flight mode. I love appreciating the work that goes into every bit of the event.

There was an incredibly small detail on the Subway car of "Decendants of Destruction" that sticks with me to this day; it was an ad on the roof of the car advertising some kind of Green Energy company with a tagline like "Plants can power the world" or something, which is such a darkly comedic joke given that this is the same universe and apocalypse as "Seeds of Extinction". There's no way I ever would've noticed it had I only gone in once or twice, but someone on the team thought of it, went through the effort of pitching it, designing, printing, and installing it knowing that only an incredibly small percent of the people walking through would ever notice or care. I'm in that small percent! I think those details are so fun and cool!

This isn't even to mention that this is all live theatre. So sometimes you'll get an especially incredible performance from an actor on one specific run of many that sticks with you, or sometimes you'll catch a cast on a night where something just clicks with everyone and they go absolutely feral towards the conga! It's interesting to see the differences between A and B casts, and when there are big shifts in the status quo. To see quirks of the event like last year when the latex masks were cleaned improperly and most of the zones suddenly had a ton more face characters. Those two days were honestly incredible to go through, because all of the zones had such a huge surge in personality and energy that had begun to dip after the opening weeks. My ranking of houses changes a ton between opening and closing, because honestly, most houses don't close the same way they open at all. Energy levels from the cast, new scareacting positions being added or removed, effects breaking down or being installed; there are so many factors to it all and I love feeling that constant change and flux. The ebb and flow as countless hundreds of team members work together to try and keep this leviathan event afloat all at once and consistently succeed wildly, night after night.

I appreciate that these attractions are limited-time offerings, but in that same vein, I really want to appreciate them for all that they're worth too. A lot of care, work, effort is placed into the attractions from all different levels only for it all to get thrown in the dumpster come November. I personally find it incredibly enjoyable to feel the passion that the designers and casts have for their houses, zones, roles, shows, and to find all of that passion strewn through easter eggs in zone props, the different music choices that are used in certain scenes, the way that that specific actor consistently creates a memorable experience, etc. That's personally how I enjoy the event, and I really do enjoy it.
While I think there is an argument that a version of repeating can be "bad" (as much as any of us can judge) - meaning people who repeat houses just to show off their intensity or gameify an event that is meant to be artistic - I think your response is a very strong reminder that there is a very valid way to appreciate the artistry of the event and repeat houses. Whether we like to do a house once or fifty times, I think the key is: are we in it to appreciate and enjoy the horror and the artistry of the house? If so, cool with me.

Whether we like to do a house once or fifty times, I think the key is: are we in it to appreciate and enjoy the horror and the artistry of the house? If so, cool with me.

This is the exact reason why I go. I enjoy seeing the passion and creativity they put in each house. And the fact that they generally keep a lot of different aspects of it fresh and new each year is something I highly respect and admire.

I keep reading that shorter express lines means the other line will be shorter as well. Can somebody please explain this logic to me? Wouldn't each person that opted out of express this year stand in the other line, making the regular line longer than usual? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the more I read on here, the more I think people should let Universal handle the logistics, lol.
Theoretically, if the ratio is 25 express to 10 standby - the express line can empty out quicker. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it may get to a point where they can dump whoever is in Express and keep the standby line moving for a longer period.

Anybody thinking this was a move to thin out Express Lines is kidding themselves IMO. Less multi-night Express passes just means more single-night availability. The Express queues will be just as full, but they’ll be full of people paying $180+ per night vs. $10 per night.
I'm not sure about this - I have heard from a few travel agents that there has been a few instances of single night Express that have sold out rather quickly.

Reactions: Tobias and Jake S
Outside a handful of outlier nights/houses, Express is not longer than standby. My point is that the very existence of Express increases the waits in Standby exponentially. The busier the former gets, the latter gets even longer. This move should reduce standby lines in addition to Express -- if it doesn't, if those remain 60+, then it has failed.

This made more of a splash in Disney circles when it came out, and yeah, another ridiculously long YouTube video, but this explains what I assume Universal is trying to do:

Or take the $600 extra you'd have dropped with FF and put that toward multiple single night Express. Do it smart, can probably get 4 nights (more if you're willing to take a chance on after 11). Not the same, but a nice mix of nights to take at your own pace and guaranteed nights you'll see everything.

Best real life example I have is from a Frontierland CM friend. Years ago on NYE--busiest night of the year--the FastPass machines broke down for Big Thunder. So it just ran without FastPass pretty much all day. Splash Mountain got up to 3 hour waits (it's FastPass was still working)--Big Thunder never went above an hour.

You're a little crazy, aren't you? You posted a one hour and 40 some minute video to answer a question

I get how Express adds to standby wait times, but I kinda wish people would acknowledge that the real reason behind long waits is that the event is really freakin’ popular.

Like… I remember seeing HHN 8-9 ads on Pepsi two-liters but never went until 21. But the event is at a point where the me’s of the world haven’t aged out of the event (yet, I’m close, my first thought on those new tents was **** that’s a lot of walking) but it keeps adding new people at the bottom of the age range.

this is going to sound weird, but universal just needs a ticket counter. thats how some exclusive items are sold or concerts,
so lets say universal has 10000 express tickets, then have a countdown a counter on the page. let us see it count down

Reactions: HHNObsession
Going to HHN more then two nights

Them: That’s to much

Me:
fairly odd parents whatever GIF

But also me on Nov. 4:
bored aladdin GIF by Sky

I get how Express adds to standby wait times, but I kinda wish people would acknowledge that the real reason behind long waits is that the event is really freakin’ popular.

Like… I remember seeing HHN 8-9 ads on Pepsi two-liters but never went until 21. But the event is at a point where the me’s of the world haven’t aged out of the event (yet, I’m close, my first thought on those new tents was **** that’s a lot of walking) but it keeps adding new people at the bottom of the age range.
Agreed, it is super popular, but I feel some statistics from ticket sales last year with Sept being more busy than October that Universal is seeing some trend with single day tickets and spending within the park they do not like. And I imagine the trend is happening from the complaints of a single day ticket holder not being able to do very much. Universal makes more on single day purchase tickets and in park spending. I believe they didn't care about guest complaints until they saw the trends starting to move in a direction they didn't like. I think this move is a positive one personally, but I do also believe it was made as a smart financial one too. I doubt Universal would make a change if they didn't see a real need.

Don't know how accurate this (I checked blogs/tweets/etc), but I looked for the sale dates of multi night tickets to help me better prepare on when to start checking the website each morning. Hopefully this helps others too.

2024 – 07/11/24
2023 – 07/13/23
2022 – 07/26/22
2021 – 08/05/21

Anyone listen to the Major Sweets podcast yet? I'm really digging it. Like a 1950s style radio show!

I absolutely loved the voice acting for taffy & major sweets
I feel like I'm in the minority for these podcasts, as these past two years have really left me unimpressed. I'd rather see the gang sitting around a table discussing their excitement for the houses like a few years ago.

I feel like I'm in the minority for these podcasts, as these past two years have really left me unimpressed. I'd rather see the gang sitting around a table discussing their excitement for the houses like a few years ago.
The new podcasts definitely lean a little more into the "Corporate Speak newscast" format than I'd like. Jenny Nicholson talks about that phenomeon in her Starcruiser video for a little bit. It's a bit too sanitized, and the "We just can't wait to go to Universal Studio Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 33 event this year!"-type phrasing can be a bit much. They've got some interesting info sometimes though.

The new podcasts definitely lean a little more into the "Corporate Speak newscast" format than I'd like. Jenny Nicholson talks about that phenomeon in her Starcruiser video for a little bit. It's a bit too sanitized, and the "We just can't wait to go to Universal Studio Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 33 event this year!"-type phrasing can be a bit much. They've got some interesting info sometimes though.
I've always gotten that vibe from the Discover Universal podcasts - but I very much enjoy the "Echoes of the Fog" ones.

Reactions: Ringwraith
Agreed, it is super popular, but I feel some statistics from ticket sales last year with Sept being more busy than October that Universal is seeing some trend with single day tickets and spending within the park they do not like. And I imagine the trend is happening from the complaints of a single day ticket holder not being able to do very much. Universal makes more on single day purchase tickets and in park spending. I believe they didn't care about guest complaints until they saw the trends starting to move in a direction they didn't like. I think this move is a positive one personally, but I do also believe it was made as a smart financial one too. I doubt Universal would make a change if they didn't see a real need.
Thing is, i feel like most of the heat for express lines and how busy the event was peaked very early in the season with multiple people talking about how much better the experience was when the rush of fear period ended. Rush of fear with express is the only express multi-night option that is still available, so I really don't get what they’re going for.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Thing is, i feel like most of the heat for express lines and how busy the event was peaked very early in the season with multiple people talking about how much better the experience was when the rush of fear period ended. Rush of fear with express is the only express multi-night option that is still available, so I really don't get what they’re going for.
My guess is those people who did RoF wanted the higher pass because of that. I imagine RoF with express is limited too, but less are getting it.

The new podcasts definitely lean a little more into the "Corporate Speak newscast" format than I'd like. Jenny Nicholson talks about that phenomeon in her Starcruiser video for a little bit
“Universal Islands of Adventure” really took me out of it
I liked the one for Blood Moon last year. The Major Sweets one was a bit cringe, but I appreciate the effort.