Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If this is the yeti of universal then that's saying something

Yeah, it is saying something silly...

The screen cover missing is more similar to the icy fog filled cave at the top of the Everest ride which isn't fog filled any longer and hasn't been since a few weeks after opening. Universal hasn't been known for killing effect elements just because they are a nuisance and costly. They almost always bring them back after a time sorting things out.

Yeah, it is saying something silly...

The screen cover missing is more similar to the icy fog filled cave at the top of the Everest ride which isn't fog filled any longer and hasn't been since a few weeks after opening. Universal hasn't been known for killing effect elements just because they are a nuisance and costly. They almost always bring them back after a time sorting things out.

I mean, it should get back at some point. It's just going to take a lot longer than anyone here would like.

Saw the missing effect today and WOW it is BAD. I'm taking a wild guess to assume there are several possible changes for this. But man....

[video=youtube;C10bE4yGPMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10bE4yGPMw[/video]

What I heard was that the entire mechanism was damaged requiring getting a new screen AND robotic arm. These aren't off the shelf parts. It is taking a bit to remanufacture the effect. It will be fixed ASAP.

Perhaps the original accident "rumors" were true. Most was discounted at the time but if the damage is this extensive what does that infer?

You mean that an RV crashed into it? Could actually be that they were trying out different ways to program the scene/effect and some error allowed for the RV to bang against the door/screen.

That was a rumour.. it's not one i believe. I was under the impression that it would be impossible for an RV to collide with it. If the arm wasn't out of the way the RV wouldn't budge.

I was told a vehicle didn't hit the screen. The moisture messed up the alignment and the damage occurred when the robot arm tried to shove a misaligned screen back in it's hole.

I was told a vehicle didn't hit the screen. The moisture messed up the alignment and the damage occurred when the robot arm tried to shove a misaligned screen back in it's hole.

This sounds far more plausible than an actual RV coming in contact with the screen. I just hope they are able to come up with a good solution so this is a non issue moving forward.

Would make the most sense really, since even if they were messing around with the programming, why would they try things where the RV could move when the door is not open?

So, I FINALLY got the answer to what happened here, from the inside. It was an after hours troubleshooting test by maint. techs in which an illegal trick was used to override an important sensor. It was a mechanical trick to fool the system computer.

The screen was hit by an rv and the kuka system and screen were damaged, but I was told that residual damage was minimal.

I suppose that the closure was used to thoroughly check the track alignment and footings... everything. It would appear they had other scheduled refurbs that they fast tracked into getting done during the shutdown.

One or two of the techs were fired.

So, after much ado, there you have it.

Reactions: Marni1971
So, I FINALLY got the answer to what happened here, from the inside. It was an after hours troubleshooting test by maint. techs in which an illegal trick was used to override an important sensor. It was a mechanical trick to fool the system computer.

The screen was hit by an rv and the kuka system and screen were damaged, but I was told that residual damage was minimal.

I suppose that the closure was used to thoroughly check the track alignment and footings... everything. It would appear they had other scheduled refurbs that they fast tracked into getting done during the shutdown.

One or two of the techs were fired.

So, after much ado, there you have it.

Good to hear that that this breakdown wasn't due to an inherent design flaw in the ride.