Helios Grand Hotel | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Helios Grand Hotel

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, I'm not to thrilled about these rooms. It's gonna take more than a view to get me to shell out good money to stay here. Guess the big three has me (us) spoiled. When I stay at the Portofino, I feel like I am at the Portofino. Same for the royal pacific. Based on these pics, it seems it all stops at the door of the rooms.

Modern design for hotel rooms for both Disney and Universal especially the high end hotels (Fantasy Springs and this) have really underwhelmed me and in the grand scheme of things outside of potential benefits does not make me want to stay at the hotel.

But i think that is more so derived from minimalism becoming the norm vs elaborate theming and finishes. But there are small things they could've done to make this hotel room higher grade (separate shower from bathtub, separating the toilet from the bath area, more elaborate finishings, ceiling artwork vs white ceiling). just my thoughts

But i think that is more so derived from minimalism becoming the norm vs elaborate theming and finishes. But there are small things they could've done to make this hotel room higher grade (separate shower from bathtub, separating the toilet from the bath area, more elaborate finishings, ceiling artwork vs white ceiling). just my thoughts
I think this is exactly it. The overall design aesthetic isn’t my favorite, but I would easily get over it if you got more of the “premium” amenities you mention. In the end, if I’m gonna stay in a nice hotel in Orlando, it’ll be the Conrad. But that’s more about personal preference than anything else.

Reactions: kristenabelle
It's not just the aesthetics, you will be paying Portofino prices, if not higher, for 325 sq. ft rooms, same as Sapphire.
It will probably be years before they make any AP rates available as well.
Without express I personally don't have a desire to stay here except maybe one night to check it out.

People are forgetting what makes a "lux" hotel. It isn't waterslides, tapas bars, lazy rivers, large rooms, distance to the park, or any of that. It is one thing: bathrobes! Waiting in the closet for you, those plush, lovely bathrobes.

:grinning:

There is only one deluxe hotel one property. And it sounds like that will stay the case.

:cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: UNIrd
I was hoping Universal would take a bigger swing here, but I suppose I was over expectant. People are using the Contemporary as a comparison, but are failing to mention that the majority of the Contemp rooms have outdoor balconies/patios (save for the middle floor garden wing rooms). The contemporary rooms also have dual vanities, a large stand up shower, and a toilet separated by a sliding door.

I'm most disappointed by the toilet aspect, the tub shower combo, and the embarrassing use of shower curtains in their 'top of the line' resort.

The hotel public areas look very nice to me, the roof top bar especially.

That being said, my desire to spend money here will depend entirely on the ticket situation, not the hotel itself. If I can only spend 1 day at Epic due to ticketing limitations, why would I stay here when I get the same early entry by staying at another resort, and I'm much closer to the other parks, which is where I'll be forced to spend the majority of my time.

No doubt they will add express to Epic Universe at some point (Alicia has stated as such in regards to them having the lines planned). When Helios gets Epic Express included, I will stay there in a heartbeat. Until then, I would be hard pressed to pull the trigger over Sapphire/Royal Pacific.

No doubt they will add express to Epic Universe at some point (Alicia has stated as such in regards to them having the lines planned). When Helios gets Epic Express included, I will stay there in a heartbeat. Until then, I would be hard pressed to pull the trigger over Sapphire/Royal Pacific.
That’s just something I’ve speculated, but if Universal feels trapped into free express at the original three and the dishes they could get out of it as some here are suggesting, maybe no other hotel will ever offer it after all.

To clarify, Epic rides will eventually add Express, but who knows if Helios ever offers free passes.

Reactions: kristenabelle
I stayed at Portofino recently, the room decor was just as “plain” as Helios’ art for a standard room.

It’s not just Aventura or Sapphire or Endless Summer. All the standard UOR hotel rooms are pretty plain with a splash of themed decor, even the fancy ones.

Official Portofino image on left

It's a trend at a lot of hotels nowadays, too. For better or worse.

Out of curiosity, I went to take a look at the Disney's Ritz-Carlton and this is there standard room. Bigger in size, but the same general angle for decor - white and clean).

mcorz-queen-queen-0418-hor-pano.png

I know we only have a layout of the Deluxe Helios room, but I'm curious if a photo will change any opinion.

It's not just the aesthetics, you will be paying Portofino prices, if not higher, for 325 sq. ft rooms, same as Sapphire.
It will probably be years before they make any AP rates available as well.
Without express I personally don't have a desire to stay here except maybe one night to check it out.

Sources needed.

It's a trend at a lot of hotels nowadays, too. For better or worse.

Out of curiosity, I went to take a look at the Disney's Ritz-Carlton and this is there standard room. Bigger in size, but the same general angle for decor - white and clean).

View attachment 23085

I know we only have a layout of the Deluxe Helios room, but I'm curious if a photo will change any opinion.
Yes. Just like @Alicia said about Portofino room decor. They've done a marvelous job of constantly updating the Portofino resort. This is their 'third' major renovation since I started staying at Portofino in 2011. During that time, each renovation has resulted in a more antiseptic look in contrast to the luxurious room decor look when we first went. The huge Portofino bathrooms still have that luxury look, fortunately. Myself, I prefer the former look, but it is what it is. Industry trends take precedence. Portofino example: The disappearance of elegant colorful bedspreads happened a decade ago during their renovation around 2014 or so. .

Last edited:
Yes. Just like @Alicia said about Portofino room decor. They've done a marvelous job of constantly updating the Portofino resort. This is their 'third' major renovation since I started staying at Portofino in 2011. During that time, each renovation has resulted in a more antiseptic look in contrast to the luxurious room decor look when we first went. The huge Portofino bathrooms still have that luxury look, fortunately. Myself, I prefer the former look, but it is what it is. Industry trends take precedence. Portofino example: The disappearance of elegant colorful bedspreads happened a decade ago during their renovation around 2014 or so. .
But Portofino Standard rooms are much bigger. I like how HR has a sink outside AND inside the bathroom.

I stayed at Portofino recently, the room decor was just as “plain” as Helios’ art for a standard room.

It’s not just Aventura or Sapphire or Endless Summer. All the standard UOR hotel rooms are pretty plain with a splash of themed decor, even the fancy ones.

Official Portofino image on left

Portifino has:
Actual headboards for each bed.
Larger, easier functioning table
Wood furnishing
Crown moulding
Lounging chair
Larger room overall
Larger bathroom overall

It's not so much the bedding or decor for me, its the functionality and make of the actual room that makes the difference.

Last edited: