What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 23: The Walking Dead: The Undead Streets

No other property is even close to as big as TWD for Universal to do this type of thing with any other property. It's the biggest crowd drawing IP the event could possibly see for years to come.

This is kind of my point. 2014 (or 2015) won't just be "the next Walking Dead," because there won't be another Walking Dead for years, possibly decades. This year, if there was no TWD, none of the other IPs being used are big enough to be the "face" of the event. A CitW house may bring out some die-hard horror fans, but it doesn't have the same pull to the general public that TWD does.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't bother me if it didn't absolutely suck last year.

I thought it was better than Silent Hill and the awful Penn & Teller, but didn't amount to more than a mediocre house by any stretch (3-hour lines not withstanding). I hate-watch the show, and if there's a glimmer of hope, it's that Season 3 had a lot more iconic images than Seasons 1 and 2, which really just had the hospital doors from the opening scene.

But even if it's bad, the general public loves it--a house and set SZs will eat up non-fanboi crowds.

So Ricky Brigante says there will be other streets. WD will be the main ones however.

Still curious as to why he believes that. During his Q&A, I asked Aiello whether or not any non-TWD related things would be seen in the streets and he said:

The scarezones are WD. With three seasons ... ripe with variety... Can't wait for everyone to see whats visually planned.

Not only did he say that, but he straight up called them scarezones there. Not "street experiences", so I don't see ITM having that bit right. :shrug:

I saw that Tbad. I'm pretty disappointed :down: Oh well, I'm gonna just accept that this is what we're getting and move on. Hopefully next year we'll see more original content again.

I do also hope that we'll have some sort of "mini-scarezone" attached to each house, where the theme extends out to the streets, so we can take pictures of something other than just Walking Dead.

Now he did say 3 different seasons....hmmm...I'll tell you what, would be pretty interesting if one of the seasons is winter, and they are able to make it snow...I mean it would suck they wasted that tech on a WD zone instead of original content, but still could be cool.

Now he did say 3 different seasons....hmmm...I'll tell you what, would be pretty interesting if one of the seasons is winter, and they are able to make it snow...I mean it would suck they wasted that tech on a WD zone instead of original content, but still could be cool.
By "seasons" he could have meant seasons of the show. The show has been on for 3 seasons now. No info on this at all, but that could've been what he meant and it just reads wrong.

I look for most scenes to be smaller scenes and props used last year in the house, Dales RV, The Barn, The car that had the writing for Sophia, not sure how we will see woodbury as a street scene, the tank from downtown atlanta. I see props not scarezones as people think of them. We shall see.

I look for most scenes to be smaller scenes and props used last year in the house, Dales RV, The Barn, The car that had the writing for Sophia, not sure how we will see woodbury as a street scene, the tank from downtown atlanta. I see props not scarezones as people think of them. We shall see.

For Woodbury I could see them build some structures like they had in the show that barricaded them in streets there, some sort of flat beds with tires and some fake guns mounted on top. Maybe not on as large of a scale as the real deal but something along those lines

:doh: good point, doiiiii...show seasons, not weather seasons...but that definitely is a cool idea for the future to make it snow :thumbs:

Well this is all speculator anyway...regardless whether its an all walking dead outside experience or not it still remains to be seen if its going to be good or bad. Just because its an IP that some people don't like (I actually love WD) That doesn't mean much until you see what they do with it. I am at least a little bit more optimistic after last year that there is at least going to be a street experience involving sets and scare zones. So t me its going to be at least a step up from last year. I still have high hopes for a good year this time. I think everyone knows last year blew.

From @HorrorNightsORL:

So I said that we will be doing some scenic builds for our [HASHTAG]#TheWalkingDead[/HASHTAG] street zones... Here is a peek... [HASHTAG]#HHN23[/HASHTAG]

BRBVtA0CUAAjvcH.jpg:large

Well the tank appears to be going in Central Park according to the side of that blueprint...

Maybe it's going in the area near the Horror Make-Up show. Lots of space for a tank there. It's also the beginning of Central Park.

EEDIT: Mike just tweeted me to not believe everything I read...

Last edited:
I can't believe people are complaining about the park being themed into one big cohesive Scarezone surrounding one property... If that's not cohesion and amazing storytelling... I don't know what it. Especially on Universal's budget?

You may hate the property... I don't feel any kind of way about it. The house may have sucked last year, but Universal is definitely the "gets it right on the second try" type of park and they sincerely care about everything they do.

Having one property for scarezones may be a tad bit disappointing... But atleast they are trying to innovate... A themeing the whole park under one idea might just be freakin' spectacular... And Universal is definitely one of the few people I can see pulling it off.

I can't believe people are complaining about the park being themed into one big cohesive Scarezone surrounding one property... If that's not cohesion and amazing storytelling... I don't know what it. Especially on Universal's budget?

You may hate the property... I don't feel any kind of way about it. The house may have sucked last year, but Universal is definitely the "gets it right on the second try" type of park and they sincerely care about everything they do.

Having one property for scarezones may be a tad bit disappointing... But atleast they are trying to innovate... A themeing the whole park under one idea might just be freakin' spectacular... And Universal is definitely one of the few people I can see pulling it off.

They've had the park themed to one big cohesive scarezone before (Midway of the Bizarre in 2007) and it was pretty much panned by everyone. That at least fit in with the rest of the storytelling of the event though. The Walking Dead has very little to do with the "storyline" that we currently have about the event. Obviously, that can change and opinions may change a little then, but I can't say that I would call it "amazing storytelling" yet.

I don't personally hate the property. I've only seen one episode of it and never ended up following the show, but I admittedly enjoyed that episode and have nothing against the franchise. However, I have a hard time being interested in having any franchise being the sole scarezone of the event. Even if they took my favorite horror franchise and did the same thing, I'd be highly skeptical. The scarezone last year was very disappointing and it's hard to get excited when that was the precursor of what's to come in this year's streets. It's also a bit disappointing to many that the franchise is such a large part of this year's event especially after being featured last year. When we thought we were just getting one house based on the franchise, the reaction was pretty lackluster for a lot of folks because repeats aren't the most exciting thing in the world. For it to now be 1/8 of the houses and all of the scarezones can be a bit underwhelming IMO.

I have a lot of faith in A&D and believe that they can possibly surprise me with the streets, but I don't think it's unfair for people to be skeptical about this information. I know I'll personally be out there with a FFP and I'll enjoy the hell out of the event, but it doesn't mean that I can't be a bit disappointed by the announcements of certain things.