HHN 25: Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 25: Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm a little biased when it comes to B&T so I like to gauge the audience reaction to get a sense of how good the show really is. The show is really so subjective it's hard to say one year is better or worse than another, it's easier to just identify the individual elements you like or don't like from any given year. Of the four shows I've seen based on that I would say this is on par with last years, I even overheard people saying it was better than last years.

That being said I absolutely loved the show, I'm not sure yet but I think this could end up being my favorite year.
One of the things I was hoping for and thought was just wishful thinking on my part was having the Delorean and Doc Brown in the show and tying it in with the first B&T show. It made sense since it was an anniversary year and 2015, I'm so happy they did it. Watching the Delorean arrive in a cloud of smoke with lighting effect and fire trails is not going to get old no matter how many times I see this show! I was also hoping they would bring back Taylor Swift since she's had a lot of top songs this year. The actress that plays her is really great and I'm happy to see her return!

Also considering the Jack show had to pull on the talent resources they really put together a great show this year and a nice tribute to the history of the B&T show as well.

Reactions: MrRoamer
Definitely a lot to like and yeah being biased is really tough to judge on your own. Still wish there was a Montage video instead of stupid human tricks again.

Side question that has been bugging me, is Chance Anna from last year? I swear that is her voice.

Was wondering, just because I can't seem to find it anywhere, did anyone happen to catch the opening act song?

Just saw it again last night. I still don't think it's the best BnT I've seen, but the plot is the best they've had in the last several years. (Kanye West trying to become Pop Culture God? F-in perfect!). The Bill and Ted are always spot-on (I swear they are always the same 2 actors playing the roles most years I've seen it. Can anyone confirm?), and I really enjoyed the guy that plays Shia, The son from Vacation, and Bruce Banner/Hulk. I don't recall seeing him in any of the previous years' shows and he feels brand new, but by God does he throw himself into his roles with a passion. He's easily one of my favorite parts of the show. I would personally love to meet the cast (or nab pics with some of them), does anyone know if there is a way this could happen?

Last edited:
Bill & Ted have been played by the same two actors for several years now. I'm pretty sure the actor who plays Shia also played him last year. You can get photos with Bill and Ted and sometimes other actors. After the show just hang out to the right side of the stage there's a gate by the bushes. After most guests have left they will come out for a few photos. They don't come out after every show so just keep trying and you'll eventually catch them.

Bill and Ted seems to only work strongly if the plot is overarching, and here they go off tangents too much. Last year at least had the investigating/"mystery", here there were too many moments where the two characters would off-handledly mention it as a bit was ending.

That said it was still hilarious, and man all those Disney and old school USF jokes. The Avatar one was so well-handled. So even if all the pieces didn't line up like last year (and there wasn't a real innovative joke like puppet dyin), you still had great laughs.

The ending was padded. Not sure why they had to do a finale dance routine that was new and THEN do a bunch of tribute ones. Seemed superfluous.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Cole
Bill and Ted seems to only work strongly if the plot is overarching, and here they go off tangents too much. Last year at least had the investigating/"mystery", here there were too many moments where the two characters would off-handledly mention it as a bit was ending.

I agree with this. The opening number, the first few minutes with B&T, and the final number are fantastic, but the middle is only good. The bad guy and McGuffin are weak simply because it doesn't really make much sense with the rest of the characters, though they try.

Reactions: Ryan
Warning: the following text box is really long

There was a strong conceit at the heart of it: the idea of other time-traveling characters crossing paths with Bill and Ted, and the old school references. They just mired it with a rather tired idea of "Kayne West changes time", which may have worked if it wasn't Kayne West. But then they forced it more by having him killing celebs and working in Kim Kardashian, almost as if they felt like they just had to.

If this wasn't an event in Central Florida, the same plot could've worked with Trump since he seems like a stronger character who is currently actually saying the scary crap on his mind that he would supposedly do if he were to be elected... which obviously is never going to happen, but it makes for a strong idea for B&T. But instead they chose to play it safe by putting him alongside the "Filibusters" bit with Bill and Hillary in an admittedly bewildering joke where it seems to say, "Yeah, Bill, Hillary and Trump ARE bad presidential options, but we all know Kayne is worse!" Not to get too political, but that's a very weird joke when history has proven that sexual misconduct aside, Bill Clinton actually served a valuable eight years in the White House. Seemed like a line written 20 years ago... maybe that was the point, or maybe it was playing it safe as humanly possible with the old "all politicans are bad" trope. When you have Donald Trump in that mix, doing that is already odd, but to put him on the same level as Bill Clinton? Really?

I didn't find it offensive or anything, it's all in good fun I understand... it's just disappointing that they wasted some potential in making the "plot" work. B&T plots work best when you have a shoestring to hang references on. I mentioned the 2012 USH B&T especially because whoever thought of the Hunger Games idea deserves a medal. Bill and Ted are entered into the games and the other tributes are pop culture icons. Already brillant. Then throw in the Grim Reaper, who rigs the game to have everyone try to kill B&T. The entire rest of the show is the duo trying to survive (established) pop culture icons trying to kill them until they face the Reaper himself. The "macguffin" is not dying and you can not get more simpler of a plot to hang jokes upon than that. They tried repeating this the next year, which was the infamous show with gay Superman that got them cancelled. The idea was that Bill and Ted were whisked to Oz, and followed the traditional plot of the 1939 film which is a road trip. Naturally they'll come across characters, which were pop culture icons. Yet it didn't work, because the villian was Kim Jong Un (pre-Interview) and was so enormously weak and unfunny that they tried a twist at the end (much like the 1939 movie) where it was revealed that there was another villain behind the curtain... Stewie and Brian. From Family Guy.

Clearly the Reaper was hilarious and great and helped give the already smart plot the heft it needed to carry thru to the end. Last year's Orlando B&T had duo villains with Efron and LeBouf, and that was okay, but let's be totally honest: the key to it working was the fact that the real villain in the piece was Disney's MagicBand. That hit the spot so perfectly and just after coming off of a vacation to WDW, the joke is even funnier now. Those things are the devil's creation.

I know this is anaylzing a very silly pop culture show that most years had plots that generally didn't make a lot of sense, but it says a lot that you can have a year with a strong outing that everybody remembers, or you can have a mishmash that is easily forgotten. I think sometimes they struggle to find reasons for pop culture/celebs to exist in the time/world B&T currently inhabit, but the real trick is that you don't. Nobody cares that Kayne West is changing time and killing celebrities to make vapes for Kim Kardashian (...what's even the joke here?!), it's just really not that funny and too muddled. Magic Bands killing everyone and B&T go undercover to solve the mystery? I get it! B&T entered into the Hunger Games with pop culture icons? I get it!

All they had to do is remove the dumb celeb killing stuff and make it simple: somebody is attempting to change time and pop culture, whether it be Trump or even Kayne... that leads to lots of meta jokes, crossovers and much of what we saw in the main show. It's less baggage and is simple. They have to stop overwriting the main plot. KISS: keep it simple, stupid.

I didn't even hate B&T! I thought it was good and fun. I was dying laughing at "they have sex with their tails!" (more because he was directly behind me in the audience), and at other parts. I just didn't come out wanting to see it again badly. The really great ones have that repeat factor, this one didn't.

tl;dr: stop overthinking your plots, Aiello... who I'm assuming was overseeing the main writing of the show again?

Reactions: SeventyOne
It seems like a lot of people wanted Donald Trump to be the villian. I get that but I think Kanye was a better choice. I really prefer it when they don't get too deep into politics as it will only divide the audience, about half will appreciate the joke and the other half is just annoyed.

When you realize a decent chunk of the kids who will see this show were in diapers when Clinton was in the White House--yeah, it's a dated joke. (PS--same goes for you Orlando Kia). I guess the idea was to "balance out" the Trump jokes? I don't know, I still can't bring myself to think of The Donald as a political figure.

A lot of the show skews obscure tho. The Don Draper joke--you don't have to just be a Mad Men fan to get it--already a small subset of the audience I imagine--you have to be a Mad Men fan who reads the online forums and was familiar with that fan theory. Jon Snow joke similar. Meanwhile, no Ant-Man, no Inside Out (other than a background joke), no F&F, no Flash/Green Arrow, virtually no music stars in the plotted part of the show, no viral video references that I can remember ...

Reactions: Ryan
I was shocked no Fury Road references, and I think the problem is that they did a similar joke to what an Inisde Out joke would be last year... the background gag was fine otherwise.