Hurricane Matthew | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Matthew

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've heard that both Disney and Universal try to make things as comfortable(and safe) as possible for the guests who find themselves stuck in their hotels during events like this (free movies on TV, characters and games in the lobbies, snacks, water, etc).

Has anybody here ever been one of those hotel guests?
I worked for Disney in 2004 and did their ride out crew. They took very good care of us and the guests. Disney hotels are the best place to be during these storms, I wish I was staying in one right now. They have everything you could need and you will not lose power.

Reactions: wizwit
Disney requested all guests out by 5PM, not planning to reopen until Saturday.

These plans to re-open Saturday seem unrealistic. Orange County Mayor has asked people to stay off the roads Saturday--will likely be no power, debris everywhere. I think Sunday or even Monday far more realistic.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
These plans to re-open Saturday seem unrealistic. Orange County Mayor has asked people to stay off the roads Saturday--will likely be no power, debris everywhere. I think Sunday or even Monday far more realistic.
As soon as the storm passes they will reopen. It's impressive how fast they can work to get things back open.

Yeah, but they do have all the hotel guests. Too, so much infrastructure was rebuilt in the near area by federal dollars in 2005-2007. And much of it was rebuilt very rugged.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Thanks for the update! I'm glad to know they got out.
Thanks for the concern. We're good and we brought the sun back here with us to Pittsburgh. A really nice Pakistani gentlemen working in a gas station off of I95 showed me a rural road that ran across the state to Columbia. There were 4 others next to me when he gave me the directions. They asked if they could follow me in their cars. I told them sure even though I'd be the blind leading the blind. We set of in a cavalcade and never saw another car all the way to Columbia in either direction, except for the zillions of police cars blocking every road leading to I 26. There were almost always three or four police cars together. I stopped once to ask directions and the cops were very rude and wouldn't give me any useful info. So we did it on our own. I guess the public wasn't told of this rural two lane road since it was deserted except for the flashing lights of all of those cops. So we got really really lucky thanks to that very nice gentleman.

I stopped once to ask directions and the cops were very rude and wouldn't give me any useful info.

If you have a northern accent, then that is probably why. I was treated like dirt by power guys that came to fix the lines outside my property that came down from that area. I was served up every trite "northerner go home" remark you could think of. You should have seen me chuckle uncomfortably... :stun:

Reactions: Mad Dog
If you have a northern accent, then that is probably why. I was treated like dirt by power guys that came to fix the lines outside my property that came down from that area. I was served up every trite "northerner go home" remark you could think of. You should have seen me chuckle uncomfortably... :stun:
At least they didn't shoot me dead. They have a bad habit of doing that in that state.

I worked for Disney in 2004 and did their ride out crew. They took very good care of us and the guests. Disney hotels are the best place to be during these storms, I wish I was staying in one right now. They have everything you could need and you will not lose power.
I guess it's worth noting that was over 10 years ago and the WDW of today isn't quite the same company. They treated us very well I certainly hope they are doing the same now, but this doesn't look good.

Just seen this on reddit:

t6ma6nk.jpg

Stay safe everybody.
Shouldn't use that for drinking.

Thanks for the concern. We're good and we brought the sun back here with us to Pittsburgh. A really nice Pakistani gentlemen working in a gas station off of I95 showed me a rural road that ran across the state to Columbia. There were 4 others next to me when he gave me the directions. They asked if they could follow me in their cars. I told them sure even though I'd be the blind leading the blind. We set of in a cavalcade and never saw another car all the way to Columbia in either direction, except for the zillions of police cars blocking every road leading to I 26. There were almost always three or four police cars together. I stopped once to ask directions and the cops were very rude and wouldn't give me any useful info. So we did it on our own. I guess the public wasn't told of this rural two lane road since it was deserted except for the flashing lights of all of those cops. So we got really really lucky thanks to that very nice gentleman.
Sounds like a real-life Walking Dead cavalcade! :saywhat:
Glad you're home safe buddy.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I am not one to give in to panic (and yes, I live in Orlando, and yes I have been through this before) and stuff like that; still, wishing all people affected by Matthew the best, may we all be safe.

Yeah, I have grave concern for everyone... apparently, elderly people are staying in their mobile homes out on the barrier reefs of their own accord.

From Theme Park Insider today. Very interesting and says a lot about business philosophies..."A Universal spokesman said employees will be paid if they are supposed to work. A Disney Spokeswoman had no info but Ed Chambers, President of the Service Trader Council union group at the WDW resort, said workers will have to use paid time off' Robert Niles added, "Bravo to Universal Orlando for taking care of it's team members".........I'd like to add that Lowes (Portofino) treated me really well concerning vacating the property three days before my reservation expired. Without me asking for, they erased the charges for the remaining three days of my stay, and a couple of employees made really nice comments concerning being careful driving back and suggesting different routes to take back to Pittsburgh.